Login

russian armor

How to git gut in 3 vs 3 RT?

1 Jul 2020, 11:52 AM

It really amazes me how some people manage to get even as high as rank 100 in 3 vs 3 RT. You guys should really consider playing the lottery. No, seriously: By the end of last week I was about rank 800 with soviets in 3 vs 3 AT, then suddenly I get an inactive teammate. No big deal I think to myself, quit after 5 minutes and restart the search. Next match I have a similar problem. The first words of my teammate were " STFU. I haven't played in 5 years" followed by him ragequitting, after I pinged his riflesquad 2 times because it got nailed by a MG 42 and was under fire from OST pioneers. Unfortunately I got teamed with this guy in my next match again, so again a defeat.
By this time I already had dropped about 250-300 ranks and things weren't looking brighter the next 2 matches. Now I am at about rank 1700. So how do you guys do it? How do you get so high in RT matches?

Edit: Said AT but meant Random Team
1 Jul 2020, 12:27 PM

You have to become a good player with skill. There’s no easy solution to get you to the top tiers.
1 Jul 2020, 12:35 PM

AT as in arranged teams?
1 Jul 2020, 12:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2020, 12:35 PMGrim
AT as in arranged teams?

No. "A" ovbiously stands for "R" like Random

1 Jul 2020, 12:55 PM

You simply dont

If you wanna have more than 50% of a decent match get an arranged team
1 Jul 2020, 13:38 PM

You simply dont

If you wanna have more than 50% of a decent match get an arranged team

All those people with higher than 50% win rate in random team games must be wizards or something
1 Jul 2020, 14:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2020, 13:38 PMsuora

All those people with higher than 50% win rate in random team games must be wizards or something

1 Jul 2020, 14:52 PM

In automatch (I only play 3v3 USF), played only 2 AT games out of about 150 3v3. I'm currently oscillating between 100 and 200 rank (level 14-16 USF 3v3). It's hard sometimes. 2 games ago I lost a game with me having 51k dmg, while first soviet ally, 21k, and 2nd soviet ally, 19k. They were not toxic thought so it was a good game. It's hard to play RT in ranked automatch, sometimes you get a good team, sometimes you don't. Simple as that. Standard custom games with friends and such are much nicer (same as automatch rules and maps but not ranked).
1 Jul 2020, 15:58 PM
1 Jul 2020, 16:19 PM

Permanently Banned
Instead of making "Close the Pocket OP" threads, these are the threads you should be posting, Mr. Matrix. It's good u realize that the problem is u, and not the game.
1 Jul 2020, 16:49 PM

Instead of making "Close the Pocket OP" threads, these are the threads you should be posting, Mr. Matrix. It's good u realize that the problem is u, and not the game.

Nice OT. And also interesting that you now stalk me.

Also where did I say that it was my fault? This post is basically a shitpost complaining about Bad teammates that randomly get assigned to you. ( Not to say, that I am completely free of any guilt when it comes to my low rank in 3 vs 3 )
1 Jul 2020, 17:29 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

General logic that applies to any multiplayer game composed of random teams:

In an average to decent matchmaking:

-No matter what you do, you will lose 20% of your games.
This becomes more reliable the more players you add to the equation.
-No matter what you do, you will win 20% of your games.
Same shit applies in the other way. You will get carried no matter how badly you are throwing.
-This leaves you to a 60% were you have a clear influence on the result of the game.

Now you have 2 ways to improve your odds.

1-Git gud. Really.
A more elaborate explanation: when you can dominate your "lane" or your opposing opponent that you have leeway to help your teammates go from a 1v1 to a 2v1. The same goes the other way when you lose your army or have to mass retreat. Suddenly you are putting the burden on your team and reduce your winning chances.

2-Learn leadership/social skills and eat down your ego.

-Some people are good but self sabotage themselves by triggering their snowflake teammates. No matter how good or right you are, wasting time typing/insulting/criticising someone MIDGAME is pointless. Leave that for after match talk. If you don't have anything productive and CONCISE to say, stay silent.

Pro tip: if you are someone who is easy to get triggered just install autohotkey and disable the chat hotkey.

- Shotcalling. Be the leader. Initiative.
You don't need to give extensive speeches roleplaying you are a WW2 commander. If you can't keep it simple, it's pointless.

Pro tip: don't give orders. Give suggestions or information. At the end of the day you can't force others to do what you want.

- MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, if the whole team commits to something, it's better to take the wrong choice as a team rather than committing to the right call alone.

You have better chances going full stupid rather than half stupid. If someones proceeds to suicide dive, you might as well make the most out of it.
Play to win, don't play to not lose.
1 Jul 2020, 19:32 PM

General logic that applies to any multiplayer game composed of random teams:

In an average to decent matchmaking:

-No matter what you do, you will lose 20% of your games.
This becomes more reliable the more players you add to the equation.
-No matter what you do, you will win 20% of your games.
Same shit applies in the other way. You will get carried no matter how badly you are throwing.
-This leaves you to a 60% were you have a clear influence on the result of the game.

Now you have 2 ways to improve your odds.

1-Git gud. Really.
A more elaborate explanation: when you can dominate your "lane" or your opposing opponent that you have leeway to help your teammates go from a 1v1 to a 2v1. The same goes the other way when you lose your army or have to mass retreat. Suddenly you are putting the burden on your team and reduce your winning chances.

2-Learn leadership/social skills and eat down your ego.

-Some people are good but self sabotage themselves by triggering their snowflake teammates. No matter how good or right you are, wasting time typing/insulting/criticising someone MIDGAME is pointless. Leave that for after match talk. If you don't have anything productive and CONCISE to say, stay silent.

Pro tip: if you are someone who is easy to get triggered just install autohotkey and disable the chat hotkey.

- Shotcalling. Be the leader. Initiative.
You don't need to give extensive speeches roleplaying you are a WW2 commander. If you can't keep it simple, it's pointless.

Pro tip: don't give orders. Give suggestions or information. At the end of the day you can't force others to do what you want.

- MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, if the whole team commits to something, it's better to take the wrong choice as a team rather than committing to the right call alone.

You have better chances going full stupid rather than half stupid. If someones proceeds to suicide dive, you might as well make the most out of it.
Play to win, don't play to not lose.

+1
1 Jul 2020, 19:57 PM

Keeping an eye on your mates is a bit more important.
4 Jul 2020, 18:39 PM

Thank the guy who is microing their ambulance just to heal you or maybe you could be that guy. You'd be surprised that there are really good teammates out there. In 4v4 they would even give you an ambulance.
4 Jul 2020, 18:42 PM

i sometimes have a teammate in 2v2 who builds a med bunker for me (i only have to ask, most the time i dont)
4 Jul 2020, 18:56 PM

Try get to people to play with. Arranged teams will always be better than random teams if player skill is equal

The bonus of coordination is huge, especially if they are voice chatting with each other. Coordinating commander/tech/build choices makes a big difference
5 Jul 2020, 04:02 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Welp, I play 3v3 with randoms and generally do well.

Maximize damage while takes as little as possible. I generally do not exceed 3 standard infantry squads, any more can result in more manpower bleed. Most games act like 3 simultaneous 1v1s in the beginning. If you get doubled teamed, this can be good. It means one of your teammates have a large room to breath. Longer you keep two occupied in 1/3 of the map, you gain 2/3 of the map. With the available Mgs on both side, in which it is standard, an early mortars really does help out. Most defensive positions only have an mg and at gun. A mortar is really all you need, plus a spotter/capper. Then your mg can be brought up and pin down the response. Every time you MG has been in a engagement, reposition it. Mortars will come down shortly. LMG units are very vulnerable to mortars seeing they stand still to fire. Attack moving mortars can be quite good, repositioning when out of range. Also, do not build more than 2 mortars. Two is all you need. Additionally look at your allies doctrines before you select yours. There is no need for 2 elephants, or two players building arty. If two players do select arty, only get one. Most people get arty because they can not rely on a team mate for their engagements.

How I play my match ups.

Soviet
T1 vs OKW (flame car)
T2 vs Ostheer (mortar for MGs)
Shocks are mobile and generally avoid indirect but guards are always nice.

Ostheer
T1 2 mortars vs UKF and maxium spam
T1 skip two MGs then a second pio. 251 Flame halftrack for MG spam, other wise pio flamers plus 2 pgrens
Make sure you have a doctrine available that has both a recon and off map for the those maps where arty is likely.
And please do not spam supply drops or opel blitz. They only effect one player while cashes affect all. They all have a similar cost as well. Another note is that do not build more than two fuel cashes.

USF
Their mortar is the weakest so try to avoid it and at most only build one. Mortar Smoke is generally better that its own HE barrage. Think if you need an AT gun for the game or not. Stuart is good vs an mg but Lieutenant building does have issues vs a MG plus AT gun. For pack howitzers, place them so they cover a point you like and use the barrages to cover other points of interest.

OKW
Both the lieg and stuka are both good for indirect fire. If you want to build something else then the lieg maybe better.

I am not very good as UKF so I really do not play them much.

And as a side note, if a player loses their engagements do not immediately think noob. Just remember there just as many other factors, such as bad luck and bad latency. Also there could have been a gamble that when bad or a well placed mine. The best way for me to understand skill level of another player is their army composition. Prime example of bad composition of an ally I had in game. Two M21 Mortar half tracks, a pack howitzer, then he proceed to build two priests while only having 2 riflemen. Two riflemen are not enough to hold the line for the indirect to do work. I could not hold the line against the two panthers and one p4 for I only had an AT gun and a SU85.

In general, still have a well round army and maximize damage.
6 Jul 2020, 18:04 PM

It really amazes me how some people manage to get even as high as rank 100 in 3 vs 3 RT. You guys should really consider playing the lottery. No, seriously: By the end of last week I was about rank 800 with soviets in 3 vs 3 AT, then suddenly I get an inactive teammate. No big deal I think to myself, quit after 5 minutes and restart the search. Next match I have a similar problem. The first words of my teammate were " STFU. I haven't played in 5 years" followed by him ragequitting, after I pinged his riflesquad 2 times because it got nailed by a MG 42 and was under fire from OST pioneers. Unfortunately I got teamed with this guy in my next match again, so again a defeat.
By this time I already had dropped about 250-300 ranks and things weren't looking brighter the next 2 matches. Now I am at about rank 1700. So how do you guys do it? How do you get so high in RT matches?

Edit: Said AT but meant Random Team

Right now, I think it's really hard to move up in rank if you're stuck in purgatory (300+). One of the problems is that new teams have no ranking, so you can end up playing a group of people that are normally top 100, or even top 30, with a group of randoms that are top 6k on a good day. The worst thing about that is that it will count as a loss against an unranked opponent so you will lose about 100 levels.

I don't think there is a way around this unless Relic changes how they do rankings for arranged teams. If it was possible for the matchmaker to use the individual players's best or average ranking to come up with a composite then it would result in better matches. When I'm playing with a new team, the games aren't usually very fun anyway because playing a 6000 rank player seems like a waste of time.

Pinging is toxic behavior more often than not. Never ping more than once. When you are going to ping, just use it for when you're sure someone isn't paying attention to a unit and it is going to be wiped. Even then, you shouldn't ping if they've got multiple units fighting, as you're creating another distraction while they may be at the limit of their micro. In short, you created two of those losses by pinging and didn't accomplish anything.

Other than that, both Elchino7 and Aegion gave good advice. The only thing that I'd add is that you should always try to contest all of the map. I often see people give up a section, but all that does is enable a player on the other team to get a larger portion of the map and then crash down on the next player.
6 Jul 2020, 20:11 PM

Mixing random team with arranged team is the most bullshitting thing in COH2.
Totally unfair.
They could have discord chatting, executing good co-op attack, while your random teammate can only do disarray.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★