Login

russian armor

Mod Release, Design and Live Fixes and Issues

23 Jun 2020, 14:01 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

It's your dream of course but I also don't like the auto fire stumtiger. Perhaps altering it's profile so it's OHK is reasonable (something like the various 15cm guns in the game) with a wide AOE that damages and perhaps applies a stun or suppression on infantry. Then it's a blob stopper instead of a simple game changer. It would still require support to do more than force a big retreat.

I just think that an aurofire Sturm would seem silly and oppressive or silly and see as much use as the garbage one we have now post neutering.

To be fair the modded one is just a less micro intensive and more consistent version. It still takes time to aim and can not fire on the move but easy to track units. It has a higher rate of fire but deals less damage. It will still deal with blobs but very well as well it is able to support armor. In comparison to the abilities it is just a right click like repairing but with a long 22 second cooldown. The health and the stun could be looked at.

It still generally retains the fighting capability vs infantry. It is slightly more powerful than the brummbar 15cm but does not wipe at full health in general.
24 Jun 2020, 08:09 AM

The current Sturmtiger is not very useful in general. Any buff would be a wipe machine which is not good. While the mod version is alike to the brummbar, the performance is very different. The vehicle stunning is probably first to go.

Well, it does fire a massive shell. It's slow and clumsy to use, thats compensated with the wipe shot.
25 Jun 2020, 01:18 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Well, it does fire a massive shell. It's slow and clumsy to use, thats compensated with the wipe shot.

Wiping in one shot is generally not a good design.
25 Jun 2020, 01:30 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Probably the last design update. The Ostwind Call in for OKW has now been removed. Not a single doctrine calls in Ostheer Vehicles anymore. Ostwind ability replaced with a reworked IR halftrack.

Has a natural 35 vision range, but able to see camo units up to 20 units rather than the standard 10.

When stationary able to see up to 135 vision range in a 20 degree narrow cone.

Gained a number of supporting abilities.
-Able to call in one arty flare for 30 munitions, range of 80 units
-Able to do the panther mark target ability but with a range of 60 rather than 50
-Able to force retreat a single squad with a range of 60
-Able to 'hull down'

When hulled down vision cone is increased to 120 degrees from the 20 degrees and retain the 135 vision range.
Is camouflaged when hull down.
Spotlight rotates back and forth as an animation

The huge range of vision and camouflage may make it actually overpowered.
25 Jun 2020, 11:52 AM

Probably the last design update. The Ostwind Call in for OKW has now been removed. Not a single doctrine calls in Ostheer Vehicles anymore. Ostwind ability replaced with a reworked IR halftrack.

Has a natural 35 vision range, but able to see camo units up to 20 units rather than the standard 10.

When stationary able to see up to 135 vision range in a 20 degree narrow cone.

Gained a number of supporting abilities.
-Able to call in one arty flare for 30 munitions, range of 80 units
-Able to do the panther mark target ability but with a range of 60 rather than 50
-Able to 'hull down'

When hulled down vision cone is increased to 120 degrees from the 20 degrees and retain the 135 vision range.
Is camouflaged when hull down.
Spotlight rotates back and forth as an animation

The huge range of vision and camouflage may make it actually overpowered.

Could've made it an reinforce point when hulled down instead of the 120 decree massive cone?
25 Jun 2020, 15:19 PM

While the mod version is alike to the brummbar, the performance is very different

imo, it is very alike the brummbar. Only the sturmtiger has so much more armor, health and range it is next to impossble to beat.

Wiping in one shot is generally not a good design.

Well, no. But thats why you can see the tiger coming and it takes like 10 seconds to aim. If you don't retreat or reposition your squad in that given time, you kinda deserve to lose it.

Just my thoughts on this, I think I prefer the live design over your modded version.
26 Jun 2020, 21:02 PM

eye of sauron type shit right here
26 Jun 2020, 23:43 PM

You realize you criticized these units for being too similar, but then changed them to both be anti-tank squads?

Anyway Volksgrenadiers should have StG's, historically that is what they were (supposed to be, supplies permitting) armed with. Kinda bummed that Conscripts still didn't get a weapon upgrade. The Soviet Army is very short of SMG's and that feels anomalous to me.

+1
27 Jun 2020, 17:10 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

+1

Still I do not see how volks armed with bolt action rifles make them an AT unit.

Volks having STGs is bad in design. For close range damage, there are Sturmpioneers. The global upgrades allow them more durable and better at an all rounder standard unit.

There is general less focus on damage for this mod. Volks, panzergrens, and infantry sections all had their size reworked focus on staying power rather than DPS. Conscripts a in a good position and grens are in a better position with more balanced infantry sections.

Should we start a poll to see if combat engineers should have PPshs?

27 Jun 2020, 17:16 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

imo, it is very alike the brummbar. Only the sturmtiger has so much more armor, health and range it is next to impossble to beat.

Well, no. But thats why you can see the tiger coming and it takes like 10 seconds to aim. If you don't retreat or reposition your squad in that given time, you kinda deserve to lose it.

Just my thoughts on this, I think I prefer the live design over your modded version.

If the health is too great, it can be reduced. Also I just removed the stun shot.
The Aim time can be increased, Right now I have it set to 3 seconds.

Also, reinforcing from the IR half track would not be fitting. The range was something arbitrary that can be adjusted, that is about the distance of the white lines from the animation.
28 Jun 2020, 01:20 AM

Still I do not see how volks armed with bolt action rifles make them an AT unit.

Volks having STGs is bad in design. For close range damage, there are Sturmpioneers. The global upgrades allow them more durable and better at an all rounder standard unit.

There is general less focus on damage for this mod. Volks, panzergrens, and infantry sections all had their size reworked focus on staying power rather than DPS. Conscripts a in a good position and grens are in a better position with more balanced infantry sections.

Should we start a poll to see if combat engineers should have PPshs?

I mistook them for an AT unit by the description in the OP, so that's my mistake.

The issue with Volks not having STG's is mostly a theming issue. The TOE for Volksgrenadier Divisions included huge numbers of STG rifles, more than Kar 98's, as well as increased use of Machine Guns. This was intended to modernize the German Army, but also offset the lack of training and skill with increased firepower. The reality was that they did not have as many StG's as the TOE required, so many were issued SMG's instead, mostly MP 40's. Having Volksgrenadiers without automatic weapons is like a Riflemen without BARs or Tommies without Brens.
28 Jun 2020, 06:21 AM

I like general tank change,and weapon can not drop is good,I hope it will adopt in next balance patch
28 Jun 2020, 16:34 PM

Whilst I find this work commendable (and you have some interesting ideas) I think it's a shame to see so many of Relic's original unit designs either scrapped or ruined.

I also disagree with you about squad wiping - of course it shouldn't be the norm, but HE weapons exist for a reason, and if the Sturmtiger is 'designed' not to be able to squadwipe then it really should be scrapped as a unit. I'd be sad to see it go (and will of course keep it as it should be in my own mod) but I'd rather see it replaced with something else than it being turned into something rather pitiful in comparison. That said, if you have it working/animating correctly with auto-fire then hats off to you on a technical level.

I thought it a huge shame it was relegated to the Elite Armored Doctrine to begin with, but nerfing it further just seems unfair. If you're determined to cripple all powerful units with high risk-reward designs then you may as well just get rid of them.

Incidentally, ditto for the now fairly useless IR Half-track, although I understand why that had to lose its old scan ability. I actually do something a bit different with it, but in my mod it's doctrinal and I doubt any of that would interest you.
29 Jun 2020, 14:13 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I mistook them for an AT unit by the description in the OP, so that's my mistake.

The issue with Volks not having STG's is mostly a theming issue. The TOE for Volksgrenadier Divisions included huge numbers of STG rifles, more than Kar 98's, as well as increased use of Machine Guns. This was intended to modernize the German Army, but also offset the lack of training and skill with increased firepower. The reality was that they did not have as many StG's as the TOE required, so many were issued SMG's instead, mostly MP 40's. Having Volksgrenadiers without automatic weapons is like a Riflemen without BARs or Tommies without Brens.

I decided to re-add the a STG upgrade if the player has gone for a IR Stg doctrine.

Removing them initially was to help separate volks from both the Sturmpioneers and Obersoldaton. With volks have more of a durability focus, they can draw fire while other units can flank.

This is maybe where there are different perspectives. I sort of view the OKW faction as whole division. For example: a real life Volksgrenadier division has units of engineers (pioneers) , infantry (grenadiers) and scouts (fusiliers) . So rather than directly giving volks STGs keeping the Sturmpioneers weapons exclusive help fills in the role of volks having STGs. I guess it is a matter of is OKW a single division or a group of divisions? Does the doctrines add in a division or change the base division type?
29 Jun 2020, 14:33 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Also, small adjustments.

Grenadier
With more availability to the 5 man squad upgrades I have made a small adjustment to their veterancy. Their vet 2 +40% Accuracy has been reduced to +20% but also increased burst length. This will tone down the 5 man squad slightly but the LMG 42 will retain the fire power. This will further divide the difference for the these two upgrades in separating damage from durability.

A single STG upgrade is available to Volks if they have a IR STG doctrine.
14 Jul 2020, 03:30 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Relatively big update with a pair of videos.

Soviets
Red Banner T34s now start off with one star of veterancy.

Ostheer
Strategic Reserves adjusted
Breakthrough equipment and the Tiger Ace is removed and replaced with Panzer 4 F1s and Armored Reserves

Panzer 4 F1 is of course the short barrel panzer 4, but for the fun of it, they doctrinal ability use the Panzer 3 line.

Armored Reserves is the Ostheer version of Soviet War Machine. For the duration lost tanks are replaced with Panzer 4 F1s. Up to three tanks

USF
Question:
What interactivity is there between Paratroopers and weapon racks in live?

To fix this issue Paratroopers have been adjusted
-Immediately have access to camouflage like Falls.
-M1919 upgrade removed
-Slot size increased to 3 from 2
-Thompson upgrade only adds 3 Thompson instead of 4 and consumes all 3 slots

Rangers
-Thompson upgrade only adds 3 Thompson instead of 4 and consumes all 3 slots
-Now has access to a grenade launcher upgrade
-Grenade launcher upgrade removes frags but add rifle smoke grenades.
-Grenade launcher utilizes grenade launcher model.

Urban assault company
Urban assault kits replaced with Assault Squads
Assault Squad allows Riflemen and Assault engineers to have a squad size upgrade
Riflemen's upgrade reduced reload rate and slightly reduces cool down. Consumes Slot items size and requires no slot items. Additionlly it replaces the at grenade with an AT satchel and replace the frag with a M15 WP grenade that still requires grenade research.

OKW

Puma replaced with AT Hetzer with significant animation Frankenstein'ing.
Doctrinal Flame Hetzer now conveys an upgrade for the Hetzer
It uses the speech code NAS which was most likely would be used for the Nashorn which only has sound effect developments.

Luffwaffe Ground Forces
Heavy fortification replaced with pak 43. Hope you like Panzer Elite
Fallsimjaegers adjustments
-Now a Five man squad with MP40s
-One free FG42
-FG42 upgrade only adds one
-Bundle and Frangible smoke removed
-Camo first strike removed
-Standard smoke grenade added
-Vet 1 Panzerfaust added
-Vet 2 Assault ability added, Vet 5 adds suppression to this ability.

These changes will help differentiate the role between Obers and Falls. Most of the Falls damage comes from the FG42 so for an ambush/assault squad dropping will not be as punishing.

Fortifications doctrine undergone some changes to make it more unique vs Overwatch and generally much more useful. Fortifications doctrine has been changed to function more like UKF's Advance Emplacements.

Volks field defense now allows Volks to gain a building repair and able to build items from the Heavy Fortifications.

Heavy Fortifications Grants Access to Concrete Tank Traps, Concrete HMG Bunkers, and Concrete Repair Bunkers. Repair bunkers repair near by structures and vehicles that are not in combat.

Pak 43 and Lehf 18 replaced with Panthertrum and Heavy Mortar Emplacement. with crappy icons.

2 Aug 2020, 21:25 PM

Permanently Banned
I was wondering in regards to caches: reduce the cost to 200 manpower in 1v1 games but remain 250 manpower in team games. It would make sense for them to be more expensive if it affects the whole team but less so if it doesn't.
3 Aug 2020, 19:58 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I was wondering in regards to caches: reduce the cost to 200 manpower in 1v1 games but remain 250 manpower in team games. It would make sense for them to be more expensive if it affects the whole team but less so if it doesn't.

As of right now, I think the cashes are in a good spot. Before and after the 200 manpower nerf, it is already a rare sight for cashes in 1v1s. I am honestly surprise people do not use opel blitz more often in 1v1s. They retain their 200 manpower call in and provide the effect of one munitions and one fuel cashe. While they do not lockdown a sector but they can be safer when put in a corner.
28 Aug 2020, 18:42 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Big update to my mod.

Soviets
-Swapped the M3 Scout car with the Mortar Team
-Zis AT gun
gains a free smoke barrage

Leig/Pack Howitzer
Gain a toggle to load in AP rounds that fired directly like an AT gun
Leigs AP damages is similar to the M42 AT gun
Pack Howitzer AP rounds is similar to the Pak 40
Pack Howitzer HE rounds now have similar arching pattern to the 120mm Mortar. (More Air Time)
Pack Howitzer Auto attacks scatter now are equal to the 120mm Mortar

With now another source of AT both Lieutenant and Captain now has a reasonable AT source.

USF

These following changes make USF changes less drastic

Linear teching style reverted

The teching is now reorganized with the lives 'confirmed' teching style. Captain and LT are not free but more options are available.

T0: Riflemen, Assault Engineers, WC51, Amublance

T1: Lieutenant, Mortar, M1 AT Gun
T1A: M20 Utility Car, M15 AA Halftrack

T2: Captain, M2B HMG, Pack Howitzer
T2A: M16 AA Halftrack, Stuart

T3: Major, Sherman, Jackson, M8A1 Scott.

Armor Company
Elite Vehicle Crews replaced with the Pershing

Recon Support
M8 replaced with 105mm Bulldozer Sherman

Mechanzied
Assault groups replaced with 155mm Arty

Tactical Support
M5 Halftracks replaced with Forward Observers
Recon Overflight replaced with Mark Target

Also here are some other video showcases

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10