Login

russian armor

Kholodny Ferma

6 Jun 2020, 09:04 AM

Why do people really like this map? Honestly I find it one fof the worst 1v1 maps we currently have.

- Green cover for attacking players on the defenders cut of in the south, north you can't cap and be in default green cover.

- Cut offs placed too far away from your base and easily accessable (especially for south to attack north).

- House for the northern players muni but no such defense options for southern player whos muni can be capped behind LOS blockers.

- Full of choke points and lanes.

I was so glad when they gave us extra vetos and removed the winter version but then, along comes even worse maps (Nexus, Crossroads winter, Novrogod, Ladoga, Bayeux) So I have to at least play one of them maps or Kholodny.

Why do you play it/like it? What am I missing about the map?
6 Jun 2020, 12:44 PM

Have you seen the 2v2 map pool?
Poltawa, Stadtschutt, Road to Kharkov, crossing in the woods, alliance of defiance..
Compared to those maps, Kholodny must be a masterpiece.
Could just aswell give us back Simosky summer or trois ponts
6 Jun 2020, 13:10 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Which side is south/north? I associate this map with east/west. The southern muni area is good for CQC squads, and north muni is more west favored imo. However I think it's easier to hold east fuel than west fuel. I always wire the east cutoff green cover.
6 Jun 2020, 17:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jun 2020, 09:04 AMLatch
Why do you play it/like it? What am I missing about the map?

6 Jun 2020, 19:43 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

This is my all time favorite tournament map.

• Good mix of short and long range engagements
  • Wide map, many flanking routes
  • The buildings are powerful, but easily counterable or flankable
  • Plenty of red cover to play with, without being oppressive on retreat paths
  • East and West side play completely differently, and battle lines don't form the same way every match
  • Aggressive cut off and muni placement makes for intense infantry fighting
  • Hedges that you can shoot through with tanks and At guns are really fun

The map plays differently for the general playerbase. In tournaments with fixed spawn positions the Axis plays in the North and the Allies in the South. You have a small advantage playing in the north, but the Allies have a small advantage as factions that evens everything out. This is the best way to experience the map.
8 Jun 2020, 04:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jun 2020, 19:43 PMTobis
Snip

- Wide map, many flanking routes.

That is probably my biggest negative despite it being your positive :lol:. It's just too wide for my liking and full of lanes, for example, try flanking an MG in mid if you are north/West, you either have to go through a hedgemaze with only 2 exits or down a mine infested northern hill.

From the east its the same, apart from you have no "sneaky hill mavouver" because that leads right into the enemy munitions.

A map I quite like but everyone hates is lost glider, that is wide, and has many flanking routes, hell even more so than kholodny because you can sneak all the way around the map and are not forced into narrow lanes.

Kholodny is just too messy. "Oh FFs hes at my VP again", "Oh FFs thats my muni, AWAY!" "God damnit stop with the cut off attack already". It also feels like everything takes an age to respond to aswell, by the time you've got to the point they have decapped it, capped it and set up sandbags, with no way to attack but frontally.

Do you have any links to good matches the map?

8 Jun 2020, 07:58 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2020, 04:31 AMLatch

Hooligan vs Aimstrong in GCS?^^

8 Jun 2020, 16:23 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2020, 04:31 AMLatch

- Wide map, many flanking routes.

That is probably my biggest negative despite it being your positive :lol:. It's just too wide for my liking and full of lanes, for example, try flanking an MG in mid if you are north/West, you either have to go through a hedgemaze with only 2 exits or down a mine infested northern hill.

From the east its the same, apart from you have no "sneaky hill mavouver" because that leads right into the enemy munitions.

A map I quite like but everyone hates is lost glider, that is wide, and has many flanking routes, hell even more so than kholodny because you can sneak all the way around the map and are not forced into narrow lanes.

Kholodny is just too messy. "Oh FFs hes at my VP again", "Oh FFs thats my muni, AWAY!" "God damnit stop with the cut off attack already". It also feels like everything takes an age to respond to aswell, by the time you've got to the point they have decapped it, capped it and set up sandbags, with no way to attack but frontally.

self promotion
8 Jun 2020, 17:11 PM

8 Jun 2020, 18:34 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Do you guys know if it's actually possible to set just this map to default to fixed positions in automatch? It's an objectively better experience for the players.
8 Jun 2020, 20:19 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2020, 18:34 PMTobis

Do you guys know if it's actually possible to set just this map to default to fixed positions in automatch? It's an objectively better experience for the players.

automatch is always random. no influence on that
8 Jun 2020, 21:28 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Another one of those, "Great ideas i would like to have for CoH3". That combined with vetoes not been tied with number of maps in rotation.
9 Jun 2020, 20:15 PM

Another one of those, "Great ideas i would like to have for CoH3". That combined with vetoes not been tied with number of maps in rotation.

Not sure if sarcasm or honest opinion.
9 Jun 2020, 20:53 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Not sure if sarcasm or honest opinion.

Honest opinion.

Nothing really new can be implemented in the game. If someone on the modding team tells you it's not possible, it's not possible.

Unless Papa Sega suddenly wakes up one day and decides to assign Relic devs back into CoH because they plan to market the game before announcing CoH3, don't expect anything at all besides what we already got in the last few years.
9 Jun 2020, 21:29 PM

Unless Papa Sega suddenly wakes up one day and decides to assign Relic devs back into CoH because they plan to market the game before announcing CoH3, don't expect anything at all besides what we already got in the last few years.

Even if that happens, expect token skin pack at the very most.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★