Login

russian armor

Bulletins revamp

28 May 2020, 09:03 AM

A weeks ago, i posted about bulletins and why they should be revamped. After many people inputs, i realised it wasnt practical to revamp the entire bulletin in coh2 since there are soo many.

So, here is an alternative and more practical solution, to make them have actual impact and influence gamestyle,

- Remove all or mostly all the current bulletins cuz they have little to no impact,

- Have a max of 5~10 bulletins per faction that will make an impact.

28 May 2020, 09:06 AM

I hope bulletins is something they take a big step back from in CoH3.
28 May 2020, 09:09 AM

Or leave them as it is, because they pose no issue and its pointless to waste time on something so small.
28 May 2020, 09:17 AM

+10 percent veterancy bulletins, yikes
28 May 2020, 10:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2020, 09:09 AMKatitof
Or leave them as it is, because they pose no issue and its pointless to waste time on something so small.

I think they could give more uniquness to a player's gameplay style
28 May 2020, 10:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2020, 09:17 AMBaba
+10 percent veterancy bulletins, yikes

I dont think thats bad cuz it means that player would most likely go for the unit with 10% vet buff so it gives the opponent some intel to prepare for.
28 May 2020, 10:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2020, 10:04 AMVIGNASH

I dont think thats bad cuz it means that player would most likely go for the unit with 10% vet buff so it gives the opponent some intel to prepare for.

ye, Us rifles always come as a total surprise to me ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
same with mg42
28 May 2020, 11:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2020, 10:02 AMVIGNASH

I think they could give more uniquness to a player's gameplay style

They could, but not in coh2 anymore.
28 May 2020, 14:32 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Bulletins are useful for Relic. They are there so they can pad the amount of objects available in each drop.
28 May 2020, 15:22 PM

Bulletins are useful for Relic. They are there so they can pad the amount of objects available in each drop.

That wasn't how they were initially though. They started out as something earned through using the units; most of the "kill x unit y times using z" achievements were also to unlock bulletins. NOW they pad out the drops, much like camos do but honestly that's OK.
28 May 2020, 15:24 PM

Bulletins should add flavour to the game, like mini commanders:

- WP rounds for mortars (costs x muni)
- 2 memebrs throw nades for twice the cost

That sort of spice, not "5% movement speed for SwS" but something that can really have an affect and add utility to existing units/abilities. Obviously, that would be a hell of a lot of work but, you know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

IIRC didnt they want to do something similar to that whek UKF was in beta? I swear I saw a teaser picture of the mortar pit with different barranges depending on what bulletins were chosen.
28 May 2020, 15:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2020, 15:24 PMLatch
Bulletins should add flavour to the game, like mini commanders:

- WP rounds for mortars (costs x muni)
- 2 memebrs throw nades for twice the cost

That sort of spice, not "5% movement speed for SwS" but something that can really have an affect and add utility to existing units/abilities. Obviously, that would be a hell of a lot of work but, you know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

IIRC didnt they want to do something similar to that whek UKF was in beta? I swear I saw a teaser picture of the mortar pit with different barranges depending on what bulletins were chosen.

That would be cool. Kinda like the ostwind suppression one.
28 May 2020, 15:26 PM

I thought I wasnt making it up but yeah, this is the image I meant
MMX
28 May 2020, 15:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2020, 15:26 PMLatch

I thought I wasnt making it up but yeah, this is the image I meant

Actually, if you check the editor you'll see they even went ahead and implemented different weapon configs (Light HE, 10lb HE, Phosphorous, Smoke etc.) for both mortar pit barrage and autofire. Haven't played the beta but I guess it's not unlikely the bulletin system has been functional at some point.
28 May 2020, 17:43 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

That wasn't how they were initially though. They started out as something earned through using the units; most of the "kill x unit y times using z" achievements were also to unlock bulletins. NOW they pad out the drops, much like camos do but honestly that's OK.

I was referring to the fact OP wants to reduce the total amount of bulletins.

Gameplay wise, i would had made bulletins be similar to a single low power level commander ability. For example, the Ostwind suppression is fine as concept.

I would give each faction 5 bulletins/concept ideas that would work in automatch and rotate them based on balance and programming capability.

The strongest bulletin should never be stronger than the weakest commander ability slot.

28 May 2020, 19:28 PM

As someone who used to balance such mechanics in the past, I can assure you, they are useful, but in no way mandatory for the job, they just make it both, much easier and much harder due to how many of them are.
29 May 2020, 00:50 AM

The strongest bulletin should never be stronger than the weakest commander ability slot.

I like this rule for revamped bulletins. Don't think we'll see it in coh2 but it's a good concept for coh3
29 May 2020, 01:38 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2020, 19:28 PMKatitof

As someone who used to balance such mechanics in the past, I can assure you, they are useful, but in no way mandatory for the job, they just make it both, much easier and much harder due to how many of them are.

Not from an implementation/programming view but rather marketing/consumer POV. You could always reduce the rate at which you give lootboxex/gain points but people would rather see thrash constantly than once in a blue moon getting a mediocre drop.
29 May 2020, 07:16 AM

Not from an implementation/programming view but rather marketing/consumer POV. You could always reduce the rate at which you give lootboxex/gain points but people would rather see thrash constantly than once in a blue moon getting a mediocre drop.

For better revenue/engagement, its actually much better to give frequently trash loot, for one, it makes you think you're rewarded better, even if its trash, and secondly, if frequent enough, it can offset negative impressions, like a streak of losses that could otherwise deter you from further playing. Ofc that works on and is targeted at casual players primarily, but with relic system, it couldn't be more irrelevant if bulletins are there or not, you can balance perfectly everything anyway, just increase skin drops so that is a duplicate source instead of bulletins.

Regarding bulletins themselves, something between what we have now and what was implemented in DoW3 would be best imo, just with limitation of not stacking multiple same unit type ones.
29 May 2020, 13:00 PM

As I remember it, “coh online” had really cool bulletin drops as one used the units. Or the units got permanently stronger. Such a great game that was.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★