Login

russian armor

State of ToW

5 May 2020, 21:29 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I've played lot's of ToW mission recently, and i have to say - there is a lot of cool and unique ones. Following the idea of "Easy changes for commanders to make them usefull" i would like to know, what do you want to see changed in ToW.

Here is my list:
1. Panzergrau in 1941 for German special missions
2. in single/coop mission with loadouts - updated KV-1, StuG E and MP 40 for panzergrenadiers. Since in that missions you have units from multiplayer, these units are useless or non-reward choice.
3. No IS-2 in all ToW. I don't get why it is here, since it entered the service in the end of 1943. Easily can be replaced by KV-2.
4. Add/allow KV-2 in 1941 ToW.
5. Remove panzerschrecks and Panthers from all ToW, except the last one. I've seen them in Stalingrad pack for sure.
6. Ban units from 1943+, which were added later (like M4A2(76) or Panzer IV J)
7. Change guards of german luft officer on fallschirmjagers in the last pack.
8. No T-70 in 1941 ToW, since it entered production only in 1942.
5 May 2020, 22:06 PM

I don't think many users of this forum play single player missions. For example I don't even know what ToW stands for... I admire your dedication to this game though.
5 May 2020, 22:15 PM

For example I don't even know what ToW stands for...

Theatre of War.... it's the smaller "bonus campaigns"
6 May 2020, 05:30 AM

These campaigns are severely depreciated. One amusing note is that in at least one of them you can get 2 different KV-1's, the single-player version can be built from the tank factory while the multiplayer version can be called in. Now that the MP version is tied to tech, I can't confirm whether or not it's still available in ToW.

The ToW in general seem to have some odd balance issues, I remember at least one of them just relentlessly threw units at you (that the AI gets free in bulk from off-map, in addition to the ones it builds) and it was nearly impossible to beat by playing fair. Me and my friend beat it after many attempts by ignoring the objectives and destroying their HQ.
6 May 2020, 05:58 AM

Yeah, the greatest issue at the moment in ToWs is that you can acces certain equipment and vehicles that were not available at the time of the mission, most notably the ostheer puma, panzer iv j and stormtrooper schrecks.
And yes, panzergrens in ToW are terrible.

Also, not sure if intended, but Faceoff at Rostov is unreasonably hard. Whenever the player team holds more victory points than the enemy the ai gets large amount, usually veteran reinforcements instantly that just mows down any defenses you have. Leaving base rushing right from the start the most viable option to win that particular mission.
On the partisan bridge defense mission (apart from being very hard by the end if you don't discover that there are abandoned AT guns on the map, lol) it is possible to fully repair the panzer 4 (the one that initally has only the pintle mg functional). If you are lucky the enemy pios will even help with repairing it.

Can't think of anymore notable issues from the tip of my head, been a while I played ToW missions.
6 May 2020, 07:21 AM

i forgot that tow exists
6 May 2020, 07:25 AM

Single player content is way cool and always was, I played all of it. Of course things can be improved.
6 May 2020, 09:24 AM

*Charkow Pursuit trauma intensifies*
6 May 2020, 09:24 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

These campaigns are severely depreciated. One amusing note is that in at least one of them you can get 2 different KV-1's, the single-player version can be built from the tank factory while the multiplayer version can be called in. Now that the MP version is tied to tech, I can't confirm whether or not it's still available in ToW.

The ToW in general seem to have some odd balance issues, I remember at least one of them just relentlessly threw units at you (that the AI gets free in bulk from off-map, in addition to the ones it builds) and it was nearly impossible to beat by playing fair. Me and my friend beat it after many attempts by ignoring the objectives and destroying their HQ.

Well, in total i can see four units, which are easily replaced with their better copy from MP:
1. KV-1 - you can have both versions at the same time. SP one cheaper in fuel and less efficient against infantry, MP one is cheaper in manpower, but much more expensive in fuel.
2. StuG E - you can have both versions. MP one is better in all aspects, except fuel price.
3. Panzer F1 - can be replaced by Panzer J with the newest doctrine.
4. PAnzergreandiers with MP 40. You can get Stormtroopers or Assault grenadiers with better MP 40 for same/lower price. Stormtroopers additionaly can get panzerschreck.

Yeah, the greatest issue at the moment in ToWs is that you can acces certain equipment and vehicles that were not available at the time of the mission, most notably the ostheer puma, panzer iv j and stormtrooper schrecks.
And yes, panzergrens in ToW are terrible.

Also, in some missions AI and player intended to have some stuff, which they can't have in 1941 or 1942. Like you can get IS-2 ace in Stalingrad 3v4 coop mission, or germans have panzerschrecks, pak 43 and panthers in at least one of 1942 missions.

Also, not sure if intended, but Faceoff at Rostov is unreasonably hard. Whenever the player team holds more victory points than the enemy the ai gets large amount, usually veteran reinforcements instantly that just mows down any defenses you have. Leaving base rushing right from the start the most viable option to win that particular mission.

I've completed this mission with close the pocket, and my mate played with Puma and defence on island. They have 1 cutoff, so it's pretty easy to capture it and click the ability.

On the partisan bridge defense mission (apart from being very hard by the end if you don't discover that there are abandoned AT guns on the map, lol) it is possible to fully repair the panzer 4 (the one that initally has only the pintle mg functional). If you are lucky the enemy pios will even help with repairing it.

IMO it's intended, since you pay munition for each repair. Also, this panzer sometimes can be randomly abandon with almost full health, pretty annoying. And it get -50% health, if you fully repair it and after that recrew for the first time. I think the issue in that mission, that you have mixed early SP and very late MP things in one place. Probably it wasn't intended.
6 May 2020, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I did the close the pocket thing on Faceoff too. Iirc you had to capture two bases for cutoff, but I might remember wrong.

Regarding SP/MP units both being present I remember on one of the missions you could get the old 2 model scout sniper team.

Another thing I remember is that on one of the 2v2 maps (dunno by heart which one, you played as soviets on a winter map) the axis enemy chose doctrines that had slightly different loadouts from the ones present in MP. I noticed it in the replay (I watched it, cuz I noticed the same ai using two abilities that are not present together in any of the MP doctrines).

It's not a bug, but I have always found it a bit weird that two of the ToW achievements require you to capture abandoned tanks, I mean this is not something you are guaranteed to achieve on a playthrough. Luckily saving before the encounter and reloading till they finally get abandoned grants the achievement.
8 May 2020, 16:13 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I think it wasn't intended as well, but seems like ToW using newest versions of the maps for coop matches from MP, but with relly old minimaps.
8 May 2020, 16:29 PM

Anyone that beats tiger ace on general difficulty after all these patches is god tier.

Think your'e good at COH? Try it!
8 May 2020, 17:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 May 2020, 16:29 PMLatch
Anyone that beats tiger ace on general difficulty after all these patches is god tier.

Think your'e good at COH? Try it!

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 39
unknown 18
unknown 11
Germany 29

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L