Login

russian armor

Sturmtiger and ARVE

22 Apr 2020, 21:47 PM

I dont find either of them to be that great, but the AVRE is definitely better

What advantages does the ST have, though? It comes one point earlier, has a grenade vet ability, and (I THINK) the rocket can stun tanks.

They both can stun tanks iirc
22 Apr 2020, 21:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Apr 2020, 20:07 PMKatitof

Being able to field it with fucking KT would be one.

I think not. The fuel cost combined of both is 500 or so. I think its pretty fair to have both "if you payed for it"
22 Apr 2020, 22:07 PM

I think not. The fuel cost combined of both is 500 or so. I think its pretty fair to have both "if you payed for it"

Not to mention, you'd have around 40 pop locked up in two very big, very slow tanks with sub-50 range... against factions with quick, 60 range TDs.

The KT+ST combo is definitely not viable in a balanced competitive game.
22 Apr 2020, 22:10 PM

Then let's do it - IS2 + KV2. its pretty fair to have both "if you payed for it. Sorry man, I'm just kidding :D Just your wording sounds really fun. Well, it's probably better for developers to know. (exception Sander :D)
22 Apr 2020, 22:13 PM

Not to mention, you'd have around 40 pop locked up in two very big, very slow tanks with sub-50 range... against factions with quick, 60 range TDs.

Axis side have the best TD in the game. Elephant and the Jaggtiger. Use it.
22 Apr 2020, 22:13 PM

Well, on the bright side, you no longer have any kind of excuse for not creeping with puppchens because of "allied infantry blob" preventing you to do so. :snfPeter:
22 Apr 2020, 23:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Apr 2020, 22:13 PMRiley
Axis side have the best TD in the game. Elephant and the Jaggtiger. Use it.

The JT is in another doctrine, so you can't have it and the ST, and the Ele is on OST, so you can't have it as an OKW player. The KT+ST+Ele/JT combo is possible in 2v2 and bigger games, but again, it means sacrificing a lot of AT, Infantry or both, simply due to the pop-cap (and resources) required.

As a 2v2 Allied player, if I saw an opponent going ST+KT+Ele/JT, I'd probably invest in at least two TDs per player (so 4+ total), as well as either the Ram+Off-Map combo for Sov, or a bunch of rocket arty to make repairing (and support weapons) impossible to use.

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Apr 2020, 22:13 PMKatitof
Well, on the bright side, you no longer have any kind of excuse for not creeping with puppchens because of "allied infantry blob" preventing you to do so. :snfPeter:

True, but you're also spending something like ~1500mp and ~400f. Also, neither will protect you from Calliope/Land Mattress/Katyusha spam that will inevitably show up to counter your infantry.

Again, it's possible, but I really don't see the KT+ST combo happening in high level competitive games (1v1/2v2).

22 Apr 2020, 23:19 PM

The Sturmtiger hits harder, but the AVRE is much more flexible with its turret and ability to reload on the move without penalty.

Which is better depends on what you value more.
22 Apr 2020, 23:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Apr 2020, 22:10 PMRiley

Then let's do it - IS2 + KV2. its pretty fair to have both "if you payed for it. Sorry man, I'm just kidding :D Just your wording sounds really fun. Well, it's probably better for developers to know. (exception Sander :D)

All cool Man, i know my english is caveman like. I just hope it doesn't blur too much the argument.

Man is2 + kv2 is something like 2(is+kv) if you apply math properties and it should reflect its true form
23 Apr 2020, 00:01 AM

Look the ST HAS 50% of hitting the ground before target thanks to elevation
23 Apr 2020, 01:51 AM

Reliable lethality is king, AVRE is heads above the ST there. Much easier to use as well with its turret and auto reload.
23 Apr 2020, 09:15 AM

maybe if the ST would be like a mobile B4 with 60 Range or something it would be viable but in 2vs2 this thing is complete useless. maybe u get it to teabag ur enemy when u alraedy win.

But now u can have a KT and ST ... yeah! cool while the enemy brings 2 Jackons and delete u while having 200 Fuel back up in the bank.

The ST is dead and only a gimmick unit.
23 Apr 2020, 09:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2020, 01:51 AMSully
Reliable lethality is king, AVRE is heads above the ST there. Much easier to use as well with its turret and auto reload.

+1
I know this will not happen but the hope dies last that the ST finally gets relplaced by a useful unit: Commando Panther, Jagdtiger, Tiger I would be obvious choices. And no, CP and JT should not be able to use HEAT rounds in this case.
23 Apr 2020, 10:25 AM

Tried out the Strumtiger yesterday for the first time, funnily enough (was only against AI).

But it was hilarious to use. I wouldn't use it in typical 1v1 automatches (too slow, long reload, fragile), but it was great as a spectacle.

Honestly, I'd rather have a call in Brummbar Ace, or something like that.
23 Apr 2020, 10:33 AM

The Sturmtiger with shorter range than any units sight range will never work since the awkward turretless design means any shot can be easily predicted and dodged.

Imo it should be redesigned to become artillery, something like the B4. To compensate the AOE or accuracy should be lowered or the unit should be more expensive.
23 Apr 2020, 10:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2020, 10:33 AMButcher
The Sturmtiger with shorter range than any units sight range will never work since the awkward turretless design means any shot can be easily predicted and dodged.

And any other way will lead to it being massively overpowered wipe machine.
The unit should never be implemented in the first place, wunderwaffe super units are DoW thing, not CoH.

Imo it should be redesigned to become artillery, something like the B4. To compensate the AOE or accuracy should be lowered or the unit should be more expensive.

It would need to be extremely inaccurate if it was made into arty, that being said I think its way to critical redesign for it to happen, given how PACK howi which is an actual howitzer wasn't redesigned into barrage only weapon yet.
23 Apr 2020, 12:19 PM

Sturmtiger is a clumsy piece of shit imho, avre is miles better.
23 Apr 2020, 14:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2020, 10:38 AMKatitof

And any other way will lead to it being massively overpowered wipe machine.
The unit should never be implemented in the first place, wunderwaffe super units are DoW thing, not CoH.

It would need to be extremely inaccurate if it was made into arty, that being said I think its way to critical redesign for it to happen, given how PACK howi which is an actual howitzer wasn't redesigned into barrage only weapon yet.

It was when released, but so was practically every other bit of DLC.

It's wiping potential is too high, making it really difficult to balance. I think it currently has the last set of Relic nerfs on it, so you rarely see it in game, even when people use that commander for the HEAT rounds.

As for making it into arty, making it into a 200+ armor, 1000+hp mobile B4 seems like a really terrible idea.
23 Apr 2020, 15:23 PM

They could have simply lowered its ohk substantially and widened the damaging aoe (or for that matter LEFT it as it was and lowered the ohk radius)

VS reinventing the wheel and that wheel is just the axle dragging in the mud....

The old Sturm WAS OP but it did take a bit of finesse to use well. The increased the work required to make it work and completely removed the reward. It's as dead as dead units could be. Replace it with soviet irregular and the slot would see more use.
23 Apr 2020, 16:14 PM

I think the ship has sailed on it getting a complete redesign. Better off suggesting smaller changes that are easy to implement.

Such as:
  • Reduced aim time to compensate for it being turretless.
  • Give it some added utility with additional abilities unlocked with vet (recon flare projectile like Pfuss, smoke cannister projectile like a Sherman, etc.)
  • Reduced base reload time since it has to be done manually and still creates an abandon risk. Currently it's the exact same as the AVRE which is automatic and comes with no risk. This usually translates to at least double the time between shots compared to the AVRE.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★