Login

russian armor

Waffen SS in CoH3?

15 Apr 2020, 14:00 PM

I am curious how everybody would react if relic decided to add them in some form. We currently have a NKVD themed commander and single player storyline. As well as Fallschirmjäger that were also guilty of war crimes. Yet the Waffen SS were not included.

Is there a line somewhere that relic decided not to cross? But as I'm sure many well versed in WW2 history would agree they have already crossed any moral line with the inclusion of the two previous groups. There is also the issue of swastikas and parts of the german army being illegal to represent in film or games in certain countries like France or Germany. I believe even the iron cross is illegal to market in France.

Who knows what they will throw into the mix with army or commander designs with their next title. But I would not be surprised if the single player looked to stir controversy in the same way the CoH2 storyline did in places like Russia. Bad press is still press at the end of the day...
15 Apr 2020, 14:13 PM

You'll have to live with boner for SS unfulfilled.
15 Apr 2020, 14:23 PM

As long as I get a victory strike to execute them after I win I'm ok with it
15 Apr 2020, 14:54 PM

Oh no, you're opening a huge can of worms with this. Post-war propaganda, Cold-war lies and plenty of looking the other way.
15 Apr 2020, 15:08 PM

Both Steel Division games have SS units and no one's raising a stink
15 Apr 2020, 15:10 PM

I am curious how everybody would react if relic decided to add them in some form. We currently have a NKVD themed commander and single player storyline. As well as Fallschirmjäger that were also guilty of war crimes. Yet the Waffen SS were not included.

Is there a line somewhere that relic decided not to cross? But as I'm sure many well versed in WW2 history would agree they have already crossed any moral line with the inclusion of the two previous groups. There is also the issue of swastikas and parts of the german army being illegal to represent in film or games in certain countries like France or Germany. I believe even the iron cross is illegal to market in France.

Who knows what they will throw into the mix with army or commander designs with their next title. But I would not be surprised if the single player looked to stir controversy in the same way the CoH2 storyline did in places like Russia. Bad press is still press at the end of the day...

The representation of svatika in cultural products is not forbidden in France. I think they are actually in the game, but not openly. "stormtrooper" and such could be associated to elit troops like waffen. And i presume that yes, this is voluntary to avoid any kind of problems legaly speaking and moraly.
15 Apr 2020, 15:48 PM

good idea!

especially because Relic has had such good experiences with controversial campaigns on the past
15 Apr 2020, 16:08 PM

good idea!

especially because Relic has had such good experiences with controversial campaigns on the past

You're right, the Soviets definitely torched their own civilians on the retreat and order 227 was still in effect in Berlin in '45
15 Apr 2020, 17:09 PM

You're right, the Soviets definitely torched their own civilians on the retreat and order 227 was still in effect in Berlin in '45

The Soviet campaign is a joke yes. It's like a bad parody. Someone watched Enemy at the Gates too much.
15 Apr 2020, 17:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Apr 2020, 15:10 PMJadek

The representation of svatika in cultural products is not forbidden in France. I think they are actually in the game, but not openly. "stormtrooper" and such could be associated to elit troops like waffen. And i presume that yes, this is voluntary to avoid any kind of problems legaly speaking and moraly.

Are all videogames classed as "cultural products"? It does seem strange for such laws with such vagueness.
15 Apr 2020, 17:43 PM

Are all videogames classed as "cultural products"? It does seem strange for such laws with such vagueness.

There is no such censorship in french games if you prefer. I didn't pretend to cite an exact law. But it's not forbidden like it is in Germany. And yes, videos games are classed in cultural products here.
15 Apr 2020, 18:14 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Victors write the rules. Hence why Hitler is often painted in a much worse light than Stalin and Mao.
15 Apr 2020, 18:19 PM

Victors write the rules. Hence why Hitler is often painted in a much worse light than Stalin and Mao.

Stalin and Mao don't hold a candle to Hitler's regime in terms of crimes against humanity. This is no way means their criminal regimes were good, just the lesser evil.

I am curious how everybody would react if relic decided to add them in some form

They already are. OKW is based on the Army Group B which were the offensive forces utilized during the Battle of the Bulge and contained a total of 2 SS Panzer Corps in their order of battle.

But I would not be surprised if the single player looked to stir controversy in the same way the CoH2 storyline did in places like Russia.

I don't think Relic decided to stir controversy, I think they genuinely didn't bother to do actual research and just read some German interpretation of events that was published in the USA during the cold war and accepted it as the truth.

If they do decide to hop back into ww2 again I really hope they do their job properly this time.
15 Apr 2020, 18:22 PM

Stalin and Mao don't hold a candle to Hitler's regime in terms of crimes against humanity. This is no way means their criminal regimes were good, just the lesser evil.

imma nope outta this one so this thread may stay semi stable for at least a few hours.
15 Apr 2020, 18:23 PM

imma nope outta this one so this thread may stay semi stable for at least a few hours.

You're the one who opened that can of worms lol
15 Apr 2020, 19:30 PM

You're the one who opened that can of worms lol

Just responding to OP. There are many different sources of who was "worse" and what they did.
15 Apr 2020, 22:16 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

They already are in CoH2. They're just rebranded as Obersoldaten, but you can tell by their Camo uniform and the collar tabs they were originally meant to be SS.

17 Apr 2020, 21:22 PM

Always thought Obers were meant to be the SS.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 67
unknown 20
Germany 16

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak