Login

russian armor

Question about 120mm mortar

1 Apr 2020, 15:24 PM

what? Barrage AoE is different from the autoattack one? Better or worse?

Worse, lol.
1 Apr 2020, 19:58 PM

I just messed around with that mortar in cheat mode recently.
The normal SOV mortar is much quicker destroying buildings. Against a static squad however the 120mm kills it quicker.

Plus you have a bit more range. 20 if I am not mistaken, but not sure about the exact number.

120mm seems useful more for the extra range against buildings than anything else. Being able to shell the building from that much more safety is always nice, gives you more flexibility in where you chose to set up to defend them too.
2 Apr 2020, 14:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Mar 2020, 07:23 AMEsxile

then I recommend you to use flare and barrage on its own mortar/leig. I had good success with it.

I do that at times. It slows down the bleed on my infantry but at the expense of being munition-starved all of the time. It's the only way I can make the Soviet mortar competitive with the Ost one.
2 Apr 2020, 14:46 PM

120mm seems useful more for the extra range against buildings than anything else. Being able to shell the building from that much more safety is always nice, gives you more flexibility in where you chose to set up to defend them too.

This is the only reason for ever getting them now. Still, in terms of pop cap, it's almost like getting a second standard mortar, 10 pop versus 6.
2 Apr 2020, 22:53 PM

But it takes so LONG to actually deal decent damage that I'd rather just use 2 standard mortars and risk it up close.

I like the 120mm but it rarely justifies the investment and popcap.
4 Apr 2020, 01:50 AM

I think it's b.s. this unit gets to retreat with 1 guy after having a crew of 5. That needs to go the way of the dodo bird.
4 Apr 2020, 04:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2020, 01:50 AMCODGUY
I think it's b.s. this unit gets to retreat with 1 guy after having a crew of 5. That needs to go the way of the dodo bird.

Just like the small mortar will get away with 2/6 men. To do the math for you: 6-2=4 models dead and can still retreat, 5-1=4 omg! They can retreat after losing the exact same models!! Craaaazy!
4 Apr 2020, 23:39 PM

Just like the small mortar will get away with 2/6 men. To do the math for you: 6-2=4 models dead and can still retreat, 5-1=4 omg! They can retreat after losing the exact same models!! Craaaazy!

My math says 5-4 on a 120mm mortar is B.S. compared to 4-2 on an 81mm mortar which begs the question why is this even a thing?
4 Apr 2020, 23:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2020, 23:39 PMCODGUY

My math says 5-4 on a 120mm mortar is B.S. compared to 4-2 on an 81mm mortar which begs the question why is this even a thing?

Your math doesn't include the fact that faction in question got more men in squads as faction trait.
5 Apr 2020, 00:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2020, 23:39 PMCODGUY

As said, soviet squads have larger squad sizes. It's a thing. Look it up. Literally any, and literally all soviet weapon teams up to and including the ml-20 EXCEPT the 120mm you are whining about, which has 5, because it can retreat with 1 man (which is an unfixable bug) do try to keep up.
5 Apr 2020, 11:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2020, 01:50 AMCODGUY

The fact you have opinions on Soviet units is beyond me.

I'd say it's more useful vs Schwerer, Pak43, LeFH, AA emplacement and maybe bunke.

Best use of the HM38 in my experience is vs massive blobs where its bad scatter doesn't matter and one shell will significantly hurt almost every squad.

Most of the gripes I have with this unit its the setup. Unlike other heavier indirect fire units, the 120 doesn't set up in an arc, meaning its free to adjust to any target it sees fit. The mortar operator has to pack up, turn, and set it up again and you can lost a lot of time doing so. It would be a nice QoL change for the unit to work as a Pack Howitzer.

Yup and tbh I really liked the old LeiG cone of firing arc that let you know which targets you could engage without repositioning it which was really cool and useful. Wish all indirect fire units still had that.
5 Apr 2020, 12:29 PM

And the direct fire from the leig 😊
5 Apr 2020, 13:24 PM

I would like to see it hit harder
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 76

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L