Login

russian armor

DLC pricing. #Milking (Ranting and Suggestions)

13 Nov 2013, 16:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2013, 16:21 PMtuvok

this has already been done with AssGrens. they just don't give a shit

True. I guess as long as the performance of the units and abilities is modified and none are actually taken away. Although, the Soviet Industry one is pretty specific so it might be hard to make adjustments. Regardless, I think this about to blow up in their face. CoH2 will still be a good/fun game, but the competitive scene will die off. I can't see people playing this in 6-7 years like vCoH.
13 Nov 2013, 18:42 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2013, 08:25 AMJoshua9
what's the big deal already( unless the issue is what you got with your collectors edition, which does seem disappointing to me).

As to DLC commanders, from my perspective, whether I get a new commander or I end up playing against one, every time relic adds them, they add content to the game for me to enjoy, even if its simply in the new challenges I have to run up against.

There is almost certainly going to be price reductions for these older commanders down the line, when there are new shinier options for the people who are most eager for new material to purchase. I'm sure relic/sega will want to maximize their returns on these, so that once the first round of buyers have had these for 6 months or so at a premium, others will be given access at a more modest price.

It could be a year before I even really start using the new commanders at the rate I"m going, but I did just buy 20 dollars worth, mostly to support the company in the mean-time. Hell, if this is the only model that gets companies to invest in the future of RTS games these days, then I'm willing to put some money towards generating confidence in the product.

And Pay-to-play arguments are balance arguments only....nobody can ever bring more than 3 commanders into any match. If things are balanced properly, whatever commanders you pick, you are restricted from using any others, so nobody in the context of a single game, will have more actual options than anybody else. You will have different access,not better access, unless something is broken, and if that is the case, it won't stay that way forever.

Regarding skins, I couldn't really care less. Because I couldn't care less, the price could be cheaper, but then I still couldn't care less. The price is set for people who want the skins enough to pay for them. Coh1 didn't have alternative skins and there wasn't a whole lot of bitching about that fact.

+1

And I highly doubt if many are buying new face plates either.

The best argument I have read for pricing review, is that new entrants to the game may be put off by the accumulated high price to play catch-up. But as others have indicated,a price slash on the older versions will put paid to that fear. For myself, I foresee that continued addition of Commanders has to slow down, since the Commander icons (until this patch) are simply too confusing.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the next dlc target will be infantry skins. I don't have an issue with that.
13 Nov 2013, 19:00 PM
Donator 11

Next DLC will come before Christmas, that's for sure.
13 Nov 2013, 19:03 PM

I wrote this in another thread:

I may have been caught by the negative winds, but does anyone else feel like they dont plan on building COH2 to be a lasting success, like vCOH? I kind of get the feeling that they dont care much about the uproar in the community, and just shells out DLCs to earn money while there is still some life left in the game.
13 Nov 2013, 19:08 PM

Permanently Banned
COH 2 IS FOR NOOBS BY NOOBS

/THREAD
13 Nov 2013, 19:18 PM

COH 2 IS FOR NOOBS BY NOOBS

/THREAD

shhhhhhh.

its casuals. dont use a derogative term. the broader audience. the bigger money.

loadsamonay
13 Nov 2013, 19:21 PM

I wish I could buy the DLC on a 3.5" for a nickel.

Wait... we don't use those anymore, we've moved on from that.

I wish I could buy the DLC for a nickel.
13 Nov 2013, 19:38 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Whatever you do dont buy the DLC, otherwise you are perpetuating the problem.
13 Nov 2013, 19:54 PM

Greed of possesion is what is ruining you.

Who said you have to have every single commander?

Buy the one or two you need. Screw the rest.
13 Nov 2013, 21:42 PM

The single player campaign and every Theatre of War mission seems like good, worthwhile, and complete aspect of the Company of Heroes 2. Opinions of either are irrelevant: the point is they are finished products.

Multiplayer, on the other hand, still feels as unfinished and imbalanced as it has since beta. Every release makes it feel more like an ongoing beta test than a product to expand or innovate upon.

While the campaign and ToW has introduced a great deal of general content, featuring a number of units and abilities, these were not available to the multiplayer section of the game. Those units have in various ways begun to slowly find their way into multiplayer through DLC commanders, paid or no.

This is kind of frustrating because these units aren't being freshly modeled or coded into the game between every release. They're already there, and have been since release. The main obstacle to their implementation is playtesting for multiplayer balance.

And I think this is where things get sticky for people paying extra money: it feels like the following weeks after a release is when that playtesting is actually being done, which makes people wonder what they're really paying money for. (I'm conjuring up the recent memory of the Relic Entertainment twitch.tv streaming from the office of people playing DoW with whoever was watching.) I'll wager that's not a great position for customers to be in from a business standpoint.
13 Nov 2013, 22:42 PM

Fear the anger of the people(not only Russian) Relic
13 Nov 2013, 22:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2013, 19:00 PMThrill

Yeah relics santa claus will come to steal the last $$$$$$ out of your pocket.
14 Nov 2013, 00:41 AM
Benefactor 360

I'm a little concerned about them not being able to re-balance (nerf) these new commanders. I mean the people that bought them, did so because they were advertised to do X, Y, and Z. Can Sega/Relic really change that after people paid for them? That would be like buying a vacuum cleaner, and two weeks later, Hoover shows up at your house and tells you that they have to turn it into a microwave.

You never paid for the Tiger Ace to be invulnerable, you just paid for the Tiger Ace. They can make it deal 1 damage if they want to.
True. I guess as long as the performance of the units and abilities is modified and none are actually taken away. Although, the Soviet Industry one is pretty specific so it might be hard to make adjustments. Regardless, I think this about to blow up in their face. CoH2 will still be a good/fun game, but the competitive scene will die off. I can't see people playing this in 6-7 years like vCoH.

You paid for an ability that turns manpower into fuel. They can change the values however much they like. 1 Fuel/min for 1000 Manpower/min.

There's a reason no values are listed on the sales page.

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2013, 19:00 PMThrill

I've heard from an anonymous source within Relic that they have colloquially nicknamed it DLCember. MVGame
14 Nov 2013, 00:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2013, 19:38 PMBudwise
Whatever you do dont buy the DLC, otherwise you are perpetuating the problem.

+1
14 Nov 2013, 01:54 AM

Selling OP commanders to get the moneyz and (possibly) nerfing them later is a video-game-development equivalent of prostitution. Looking at it like that Relic are selling themselves cheap actually.
14 Nov 2013, 02:55 AM

A good and common general rule in these microtransaction type (3,99€?) games is to either make everything achievable through other means without having to spend real money or give actual game changing content free and only sell cosmetic items for money.

Neither is the case here.

Having played a few team games I noticed most opponents had these new commanders in their roster already so it appears the vocal minority has gathered again. Or everyone's a hypocrite =)

Balancing all this stuff is another point altogether
14 Nov 2013, 04:41 AM

Yeah it's a shame people buy this stuff but over time I do feel it generates ill-will towards SEGA/Relic. We may be a vocal minority but I was in the vocal minority that bitched about Oblivion's horse armor and now that shit's infamous. I personally have not purchased anything since my CE, I won't for quite a long while either.

It's a rather unacceptable business model in my eyes; f2p DLC model added onto a full priced, retail, game. There's gonna be a lot more of me waiting for complete copies of SEGA's strategy games on steam sales in the future. I learned my lesson, SEGA/Relic doesn't value their fanbases' support.
14 Nov 2013, 05:03 AM

i actually kind give up on relic right now. don't plan to purchase any DLC or commanders anymore and just use what i have. i brought the collector edition which is cost alot already then all 4 new commanders from last update. however since i am only choosing between 3 commanders per game, and only 2 out of those 4 commanders from last purchase is in my loadout, and my favort commanders are actually from base game lol. so i think i am good with commanders atm. unless there is a super sale i won't going to buy any new commanders from them.
14 Nov 2013, 05:37 AM

Con!,

If you played COH you would know that before the game was "stale", as you understand it, it was almost unplayable because Relic refused for the longest time to do anything about Kangaroos being into your base by 7 minutes and then crushing your troops over and over again. Before that, trenches and gliders crushed all your people. The PE infantry spam and ACs were ridiculous. ToV represents this shift where relic nose dived from legendary to comically insane.

VCoH and CoH+TOV were done by separate teams if I remember correctly. The TOV expansion caused ridiculous problems to the game essentially ruining a perfect rts and running off over 3/4s of the initial community.

Guess who is in charge of this game? The track record simply isn't there. Nothing that they have said or done in this game thus far has been anything to the contrary of a big fucking letdown and this is about to make it even worse.

Mark my words.
14 Nov 2013, 05:45 AM

i actually kind give up on relic right now. don't plan to purchase any DLC or commanders anymore and just use what i have. i brought the collector edition which is cost alot already then all 4 new commanders from last update. however since i am only choosing between 3 commanders per game, and only 2 out of those 4 commanders from last purchase is in my loadout, and my favort commanders are actually from base game lol. so i think i am good with commanders atm. unless there is a super sale i won't going to buy any new commanders from them.

I hope you dont' take offence since you've seem to have realised the folly of your ways. But, a huge problem is people like you though.. I have played the game since the beta. Bought the game after it came out and I've yet to buy any DLC yet out of pure principle. I'd love to get my hands on FHQ, Osttruppen, ASSgrens etc but will I budge own morals to get them? No. And neither should anyone else. If no one had bought the first DLC p2w commanders, they would have been forced to change their business model very rapidly but that wasn't the case was it. I blame both those who support the system with their purchases and those who decided p2w was a good model for a RTS that claims to be competitive.
Now a few people who does buy the DLC p2w commanders doesn't seem to realize that their decisions of accepting and supporting the P2W model and overpriced DLC are those who enabled this to happen.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★