Login

russian armor

Bren vs vickers

9 Mar 2020, 13:28 PM

What is the difference between the bren lmg and the doctrinal vickers lmg, aside from cost? Maybe it performs better at med-short range? And is the vickers lmg worth the extra 15 muni?
9 Mar 2020, 13:37 PM

Vicker K is around x119% better at range 35 and worse bellow 9.

(edited to make make more clear)
9 Mar 2020, 14:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2020, 13:37 PMVipper
Vicker K is around 119% better at range 35 and worse bellow 9.

I whish ost could get 2 lmgs that had 119%+ dps at long and worse below 9.
9 Mar 2020, 14:45 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Vicker K is around 119% better at range 35 and worse bellow 9.

Just curious why you always word it this way with % instead of the more commonly use of saying it's just 19% better.
9 Mar 2020, 15:26 PM

Just curious why you always word it this way with % instead of the more commonly use of saying it's just 19% better.

Because that is how the game use it. It multiplies with modifier.

(edited to more clear)
9 Mar 2020, 16:17 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2020, 15:46 PMVipper

I have to restrain myself not to reply with my current thoughts. I might send it in a pm some time.
9 Mar 2020, 16:27 PM

119% better then X means 219% at the end and he can't wrap his head around % math.

I'd say he does this to support his ongoing crusade against all things allied,
obviously MG42 only has 30% better performace than Bren, while Vickers is x119% better.

What is the difference between the bren lmg and the doctrinal vickers lmg, aside from cost? Maybe it performs better at med-short range? And is the vickers lmg worth the extra 15 muni?

If you ignore all the nonsense above, the short answer is: Vickers has about 0.8 more DPS at max range and the closer the range, the less of an advantage it has, and arout range 15 Bren and Vic become equal

If you have the doctrine, you might as well use it (unless you have better things to spend ammo on), but its not worth picking the doc just for them.

Oh and it has 100 times better firing sound, and thats the only reason you really need to pick Vickers over Bren XD.
9 Mar 2020, 16:47 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Vicker K is around x119% better at range 35 and worse bellow 9.

I'm going to have to agree that the wording here is just bad.

The "x" and "better" don't exactly go together because they have very explicitly different uses. "x" is a multiplier, which you already noted, while "better" is used to mean an increase over something. Mostly, mixing up the two just doesn't really work and your wording would confuse almost anyone. Using "x" with "%" is also really confusing and, I assume, not proper. I'll just give some example alternate wordings since that'll probably get the idea across the best:

... 19% better
... 1.19 times as good
... has 119% of the performance

9 Mar 2020, 16:51 PM

The "x" and "better" don't exactly go together because they have very explicitly different uses. "x" is a multiplier, which you already noted, while "better" is used to mean an increase over something. Mostly, mixing up the two just doesn't really work and your wording would confuse almost anyone. I'll just give some example alternate wordings since that'll probably get the idea across the best:

... 19% better
... 1.19 times as good

I will make a not of it although it works perfectly fine in my native language. As I have explained the reason why I use this format is that game also multiplies most modifiers.
For instance "Recruit training infatry bulletin" Usage Type multiplication, modifier value 1.03

Now note the difference with:

"Because he doesn't understand how % work."

"he can't wrap his head around % math."

"I'd say he does this to support his ongoing crusade against all things allied, "
9 Mar 2020, 16:58 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2020, 16:51 PMVipper

I will make a not of it although it work perfectly fine in my native language.
Now note the difference with:

"Because he doesn't understand how % work."

"he can't wrap his head around % math."

"I'd say he does this to support his ongoing crusade against all things allied, "

I'm aware of the... "antics" that go on with you guys. I had no reason to address his post, and don't really care to comment on that exchange. ".org is going to .org"

I did assume it was a non-native language thing, hence why I went with the English Teacher route. Anyway, just laugh at how peculiar English is, and learn from it.

9 Mar 2020, 17:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2020, 16:27 PMMusti

Oh and it has 100 times better firing sound, and thats the only reason you really need to pick Vickers over Bren XD.

Alright, case closed, we can all go home now, the real advantage was right here all along.

Jokes aside, I always thought vickers was better at short-med range because sappers can get it with anvil tech, and I thought the tooltip for their upgrade said that it improves their performance at medium and close range. It doesn't actually say that, but I always thought it did. I don't know why.
9 Mar 2020, 17:31 PM

Vickers is 15 muni more expensive too, if the doctrinal dropped one from the M3 is meant.

It mostly exists for giving them to teammates.

edit: Price difference was actually mentioned in OP. I don't think it's worth it because the M3 that comes with it isn't that good. A fun anecdote: I had Burmie use a PIAT M3 against me once, all 4 missed and then my 222 killed it. :rolleyes:
9 Mar 2020, 17:59 PM

Slight side tangent but why the hell did they change it so that you need to tech weapon racks to use the M3 weapon drop. So good man that you get to pay even MORE fuel for a slightly better LMG that you can't even use anymore after your M3 eventually gets dived...
9 Mar 2020, 18:01 PM

The "x" and "better" don't exactly go together because they have very explicitly different uses. "x" is a multiplier, which you already noted, while "better" is used to mean an increase over something. Mostly, mixing up the two just doesn't really work and your wording would confuse almost anyone. Using "x" with "%" is also really confusing and, I assume, not proper. I'll just give some example alternate wordings since that'll probably get the idea across the best:

... 19% better
... 1.19 times as good

That I agree. The whole forum uses one easy to understand system that is clear and not misleading. Everyone uses that standard, I'm not sure why we need to use one system above another and switch back purposefully when the numbers don't stack up. Even the patch notes uses one simple standard.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★