Login

russian armor

The Cancer That Is Soviet Field HQ

PAGES (7)down
6 Jan 2020, 22:30 PM

The Soviet Field HQ ability is still broken on every single possible level imaginable . Huge buildings can be converted to a field HQ and have no chance of being destroyed until very late game and by then it is often too late. It is the most cheesiest ability in the entire game, requires no skill whatsoever, is risk free, is insanely cheap and cannot be balanced as the ability is fundamentally broken especially in team games.

I cannot see a way around this but to remove the convertible building altogether in favour of only the buildable hq that is actually destroyable early / mid game..

6 Jan 2020, 22:34 PM

The Soviet Field HQ ability is still broken on every single possible level imaginable . Huge buildings can be converted to a field HQ and have no chance of being destroyed until very late game and by then it is often too late. It is the most cheesiest ability in the entire game, requires no skill whatsoever, is risk free and cannot be balanced as the ability is fundamentally broken especially in team games.

I cannot see a way around this but to remove the convertible building altogether in favour of only the buildable hq that is actually destroyable early / mid game..

I dont know because it depends on a game mode and the map entirely. Plus you can burn it to the ground by going double flame pios and working with your team mate. This commander is barely used in 1 v 1.
6 Jan 2020, 22:37 PM

I dont know because it depends on a game mode and the map entirely. Plus you can burn it to the ground by going double flame pios and working with your team mate. This commander is barely used in 1 v 1.

Sorry but against anyone even remotely capable you will not get flame pios anywhere near a field hq and even if you do you will be trying to light the building for what seems like 5 minutes.. against enemies who swarm around the field hq like flies to poo , reinforce, heal, get buffs and can also build units .. Yeah... not going to happen..

6 Jan 2020, 23:16 PM

The Soviet Field HQ ability is still broken on every single possible level imaginable . Huge buildings can be converted to a field HQ and have no chance of being destroyed until very late game and by then it is often too late. It is the most cheesiest ability in the entire game, requires no skill whatsoever, is risk free and cannot be balanced as the ability is fundamentally broken especially in team games.

just use incendiary devices. A somewhat decent player wont let u kill it with pio flamer (251 flamer sets a house on fire very fast but its hard too), but if you use LeIg incendiary rounds (Feuersturm doc) or Mortar HT incendiary barrages you can counterpick a FHQ spammer with ease

6 Jan 2020, 23:29 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

I think the issue isn't the HQ but how durable some of the stone garrisons can be. I liked the game better when bundles and LGB could level wooden buildings and the stuka could level structures in 1 go. Garrisons take forever to set aflame without very specific units.
6 Jan 2020, 23:55 PM

Sorry but against anyone even remotely capable you will not get flame pios anywhere near a field hq and even if you do you will be trying to light the building for what seems like 5 minutes.. against enemies who swarm around the field hq like flies to poo , reinforce, heal, get buffs and can also build units .. Yeah... not going to happen..

Ok, so lets sum it up.
You have a high density of infantry that is in obvious, small, specific part of map, they are unwilling to move away and you have no idea what to do, correct?

Have you ever considered... I don't know... indirect fire?
You know, that thing that bleeds static targets that don't retreat?
7 Jan 2020, 00:00 AM

It's stupid that you can use it on nigh invincible buildings with no counter. I wish they made them decappable like in Coh1.
7 Jan 2020, 00:12 AM

It's stupid that you can use it on nigh invincible buildings with no counter. I wish they made them decappable like in Coh1.

In coh1 they were also dirt cheap and non doctrinal.
Up for that as well?
7 Jan 2020, 00:13 AM

If only you had a 240mp mortar.
7 Jan 2020, 00:47 AM

I think the issue isn't the HQ but how durable some of the stone garrisons can be. I liked the game better when bundles and LGB could level wooden buildings and the stuka could level structures in 1 go. Garrisons take forever to set aflame without very specific units.

That is correct however it is defiantly the issue with field hq because it can convert any building without any limitations. A tiny wooden hut costs the same to convert as a huge concrete fortress that will survivie a zillion hits and still be standing.

7 Jan 2020, 00:51 AM

just use incendiary devices. A somewhat decent player wont let u kill it with pio flamer (251 flamer sets a house on fire very fast but its hard too), but if you use LeIg incendiary rounds (Feuersturm doc) or Mortar HT incendiary barrages you can counterpick a FHQ spammer with ease

Come on aerafield i play with and against you a lot and we both know that a doctrinal flame mortar ht for

1. is doctrinal because no stock units are up to the task until very late game.
2. the flame mortar halftrack is still ineffective against a lot of the larger buildings and take ages to set alite not to mention a costly munitions bill.
7 Jan 2020, 00:54 AM

If only you had a 240mp mortar.

see you in 2050AD then.. good luck destroying massive buildings with a mortar dude!
7 Jan 2020, 01:08 AM

see you in 2050AD then.. good luck destroying massive buildings with a mortar dude!

Thanks, last time I played Urban D Soviet he put a field HQ on the south building on Crossroads. I built a mortar and a barrage or two later all the resources he spent were nullified.

I think you’ll find a mortar useful, if you decide to use any feedback.
7 Jan 2020, 02:08 AM

Thanks, last time I played Urban D Soviet he put a field HQ on the south building on Crossroads. I built a mortar and a barrage or two later all the resources he spent were nullified.

I think you’ll find a mortar useful, if you decide to use any feedback.

ok about huge concrete buildings I agree with him. You dont find them on the 1v1 maps but have you ever played angermünde or steelworks essen for example? Or do you remember the 2v2 map Gelsenkirchen? They have giant concrete buildings that would literally require 100+ mortar shells to be destroyed, and Im not even exaggerating.

But I still stand by my point that feuersturm doc and mortar HT are counterpicks to it. And there is also the counter by just trying to deny your foe these strategic giant house by not letting him cap the associated territory sector. If the FHQ is in the middle or even further back you can usually try and waste the soviet player's time with your army (but without destroying the HQ yet) until tanks or arty/offmap strikes destroy them for you
7 Jan 2020, 08:06 AM

But I still stand by my point that feuersturm doc and mortar HT are counterpicks to it.

This is a very poor argument. Most people don't have Feuersturm in their load-out as OKW. There are some decent Ost MHT doctrines but requiring a doctrine to counter such a relatively cheap and early CP ability is very bad design.

Plus OKW has nothing to destroy big stone buildings in early to mid-game. Ostheer at least has flamer Pios and the Flame HT.

Soviet Field HQ still is cancer and just a very annoying, cheesy ability that should have never been introduced into the game in the first place.
7 Jan 2020, 10:42 AM

Actually ambient building need to be looked at the new AOE profiles have made many weapon too effective vs wooden buildings, while other take for ever to knock down.

That includes Zis/SU-76 barrage pack howitzer and others.
7 Jan 2020, 11:00 AM

They should add an ability to the mortar that let's those units that can't usually close in to burn the FHQ able to close safely. They could call it a mirror barrage (kinda like smoke and mirrors, because it's going to hide your infantry/ flamer) it's not as elegant as a literally no effort counter like you would like, but I think we might be able to mange it. Maybe sander could squeeze some sort of ability like that into the next patch! Again, I know combined arms and such is far too much to ask for, but I don't think we're going to get an EZ MODE this late in the game.
7 Jan 2020, 13:27 PM

This is a very poor argument. Most people don't have Feuersturm in their load-out as OKW. There are some decent Ost MHT doctrines but requiring a doctrine to counter such a relatively cheap and early CP ability is very bad design.

Plus OKW has nothing to destroy big stone buildings in early to mid-game. Ostheer at least has flamer Pios and the Flame HT.

Soviet Field HQ still is cancer and just a very annoying, cheesy ability that should have never been introduced into the game in the first place.

there is picking and counterpicking in coh2. Its the same with howitzers... dont cry about howitzer spam if nobody in your team has a doctrine with offmap strikes to destroy them.

If not, well then the person didnt think their loadout through enough or didnt pay attention to the enemy commanders in load screen. And about newer players: Im sure one mortar halftrack doc is part of the free basekit for Wehrmacht
7 Jan 2020, 14:11 PM

there is picking and counterpicking in coh2. Its the same with howitzers... dont cry about howitzer spam if nobody in your team has a doctrine with offmap strikes to destroy them.

If not, well then the person didnt think their loadout through enough or didnt pay attention to the enemy commanders in load screen. And about newer players: Im sure one mortar halftrack doc is part of the free basekit for Wehrmacht

That only works when both doctrines are viable. Picking OKW Firestorm just to counter Soviet HQ is never gonna work because the doctrine is so vastly inferior to Urban Defence that you are never gonna win anyway unless the opponent is way worse than you. But then again OKW has basically only one or two viable doctrines anyway.

7 Jan 2020, 14:24 PM

I completely agree needing to choose a single doctrine for the entire purpose to counter a broken ability is terrible design. All stock units should be capable of having an impact against a doctrine and there literally is no counter at all against even a semi skilled opponent until very late game.

Let us also not forget the ridiculous cost for a near indestructible building costing a laughable 250 manpower and 40 fuel ..

PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS