Login

russian armor

UKF Minor Redesign

9 Jan 2020, 16:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jan 2020, 15:59 PMLago

OST T3 has the StuG, which completely changes the equation. If you go for the AI-focused Ostwind, you can get a 90 FU StuG to back it up.

If you go for a Centaur, your AT options are the 110 FU Cromwell or the 155 FU Firefly.

Neither are good options. The Firefly is terrible as a lone AT piece, and the Cromwell at best matches medium armour.

The only thing keeping the Centaur a realistic option is its huge AI advantage over the Cromwell. If you narrow that gap too much, you kill off the Centaur completely.

Your entire argument is based on the FF being bad as a lone AT, despite the 6 pounder being one of the best AT guns and readily available.
9 Jan 2020, 16:11 PM

Your entire argument is based on the FF being bad as a lone AT, despite the 6 pounder being one of the best AT guns and readily available.

If the Firefly is relying on the 6-pounder for support, it needs to stay close enough to the 6-pounder to be supported by it.

If the Centaur, an especially slow vehicle, is relying on the Firefly for AT support, it needs to stay close enough to the Firefly for the Firefly to support it.

By going with that build, you've slowed your force to the speed of an AT gun.

And if that's not a problem, why get the Firefly in the first place?
9 Jan 2020, 16:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jan 2020, 16:11 PMLago

If the Firefly is relying on the 6-pounder for support, it needs to stay close enough to the 6-pounder to be supported by it.

If the Centaur, an especially slow vehicle, is relying on the Firefly for AT support, it needs to stay close enough to the Firefly for the Firefly to support it.

By going with that build, you've slowed your force to the speed of an AT gun.

And if that's not a problem, why get the Firefly in the first place?

You can mitigate this issue with good unit control and proper positioning.
9 Jan 2020, 16:58 PM

You can mitigate this issue with good unit control and proper positioning.

Mitigate, not obviate.

I've never seen anyone go Firefly to back up a Centaur. The typical Centaur build is backed up by double 6-pounders: the Centaur advances, wrecks some infantry, and retreats behind its ATGs to repair.

It's effective, but it's a very static build.

Compare that to a Cromwell build: highly mobile, able to pursue and kill tanks if it gets the upper hand (securing kills is massively undervalued on this forum) but with substantially weaker performance against infantry.

If you shrink that anti-infantry performance gap, you also reduce the advantage of the Centaur build without decreasing its disadvantages. That risks killing the Centaur off outside of Lend Lease Support.
9 Jan 2020, 18:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jan 2020, 16:58 PMLago

Compare that to a Cromwell build: highly mobile, able to pursue and kill tanks if it gets the upper hand (securing kills is massively undervalued on this forum) but with substantially weaker performance against infantry.

It's not even good at securing kills thou. 50% moving accuracy and shitty accuracy vs infantry means you're not going to be getting many wipes with this thing.

Also, Ostwind and P4 combo exists. Cromwell needs anti infantry capabiilities to stand on its own without the Centaur.

It's simply a crummy tank.
9 Jan 2020, 19:03 PM

If cromwell had greater accuracy on move it could help defining its role. But after saying that, it might cause some issues when trying to keep balance between mediums.
9 Jan 2020, 21:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jan 2020, 15:59 PMLago

OST T3 has the StuG, which completely changes the equation. If you go for the AI-focused Ostwind, you can get a 90 FU StuG to back it up.

If you go for a Centaur, your AT options are the 110 FU Cromwell or the 155 FU Firefly.

Neither are good options. The Firefly is terrible as a lone AT piece, and the Cromwell at best matches medium armour.

The only thing keeping the Centaur a realistic option is its huge AI advantage over the Cromwell. If you narrow that gap too much, you kill off the Centaur completely.

I think this is a really good assessment of the match ups. It's kinda like if you took the OST panther and gave it normal medium tank AI. sure the brumbar would be better, but would it be enough better to ever be worth building as a dedicated AI unit? Obviously it's less dramatic of an issue than that but I think the core remains.
14 Jan 2020, 04:43 AM

I try some birt game, and I struggle.
the design of the brit is so strange. I played ok with SU and OST.
the cromwell AOE is bad compared to t34 or p4.
it takes so long to clean a harassing squad on the side.
the IS without snare can't screen for the Cromwell.
so it is kind of risky if I go around to the back of their green cover.
because IS don't have a snare, you don't use it as a screen unit, then you use fuel to upgrade then as powerful AI unit. next, you have to prepare FF to go against heavy because you spend fuel on inf and it is not good to wait for your own heavy.
The concept of FF can't be alone is ok, the problem is that IS is not con or gren.
the 200 damage means nothing when it comes to medium.
SU85 turret is slow but it is accurate, FF sometime misses. and the reload time is longer.
IMHO, the brit is so static,IS works with cover, IS supported by AT, AT gun supported by sapper, FF supported by sapper and AT. They are chained together. and hard to push without arty.
In 2v2 it is ok when I fight against my opponent, but it is difficult to switch sides and use arty to support my teammate.
15 Jan 2020, 07:24 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think the Arty Flares upgrade that gives the IS a smoke barrage should be part of the next patch. It would solve a lot of the issues the Brits have against massed support weapons (hello, WM). The throwing range for the smoke barrage could be a little longer though.

I would say that the other parts of the rework might need some more consideration and testing, however.
16 Jan 2020, 00:31 AM

I think the Arty Flares upgrade that gives the IS a smoke barrage should be part of the next patch. It would solve a lot of the issues the Brits have against massed support weapons (hello, WM). The throwing range for the smoke barrage could be a little longer though.

I would say that the other parts of the rework might need some more consideration and testing, however.

Agreed; that's the change that is simplest relative to its impact on the faction's performance.

The others could have unintended consequences, but this is meant more than anything to be a collection of ideas to draw from.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 74
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment