Login

russian armor

Sega exec join Tencent & China Expansion

21 Dec 2019, 06:09 AM
Patrion 310

Sega exec join Tencent & China Expansion:
This is the second top executive from Sega Europe to joins Chinese Tencent (Europe).

Sega's John Clark moves to Tencent Europe, 28th November 2019:
Clark takes on VP of partnerships role at the Chinese tech and entertainment giant
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-28-segas-john-clark-moves-to-tencent-europe
That's according to the Sega veteran's LinkedIn profile, which has him joining the Chinese firm as vice president of partnerships for Europe. GamesIndustry.biz has confirmed the appointment directly with Clark.
*snip*
His move to Tencent follows former Sega Europe COO and president Jurgen Post making the same transition in August 2017.

Tencent in competition with Chinese Netease. Both Sega Europe and Actiblizz have partnerships with NetEase.

Blizzard and NetEase extend Chinese publishing deal for Hearthstone, Overwatch, and more:
https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/11/blizzard-and-netease-extend-chinese-publishing-deal-for-hearthstone-overwatch-and-more/

Sega Europe/CA partnerships with NetEase announced 2 August 2019:
https://www.creative-assembly.com/blog/creative-assembly-partners-netease
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-08-02-netease-to-publish-creative-assemblys-total-war-series-in-china

Chinese fans review bomb Total War after NetEase becomes publisher:
https://www.abacusnews.com/digital-life/chinese-fans-review-bomb-total-war-after-netease-becomes-publisher/article/3021978
Gamers fear censorship and access to Steam games after Creative Assembly partnered with NetEase for China release

December 2019 SEGA SAMMY Management Meeting (who owns Relic/Sega Europe studios) announce plans expanding Sega Europe and NA studio IPs to Asia/China.:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/103106/coh-expanding-to-china

Source:
https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/managementmeeting_1205_final_e.pdf (page 49)
https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/

2016, Sega Sammy sells amusement parks (Sega Live Creation) to Shenzhen-based company, China Animation:
https://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/2042296/china-animation-take-over-joypolis-japanese-indoor-amusement-park
https://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/2072395/china-animation-bets-sonic-hedgehog-push-win-over-mainland
China Animation has been selected by mainland cultural authorities as a state-level animation company to receive support and sponsorship from the government

Shenzhen-based (bordering Hong Kong) Tencent company slogan outside new headquarter:

source:
It’s a metal cube that features the slogan: “Follow our party, start your business.”
https://qz.com/1102948/chinas-communist-party-is-all-in-on-the-power-of-technology-and-thats-tricky-for-its-tech-giants/

Anyone still can't figure out why Relic's Code of Conduct ban Nazism and not Communism?
Get your head in the game as this is just the beginning.
Complacency is not the answer. Stay vigilant!

21 Dec 2019, 06:27 AM

21 century gold rush.
21 Dec 2019, 17:45 PM

Great work, but it scares me to imagine that gaming will become part of a political agenda
21 Dec 2019, 19:56 PM
Patrion 14

they smear shit all over whatever they touch. bad news for most.
21 Dec 2019, 20:17 PM

Great work, but it scares me to imagine that gaming will become part of a political agenda

It already did.
One of the football players spoke out against CCP and chinese had him removed from latest Fifa, because EA will suck any kind of cock to get even a single penny more if it could.

Same for activision blizzard, but I suppose that story is known enough to not repeat it again here.

Gaming goes political, because most big companies grew too big and too greedy, willing to do anything it takes and betray whatever values they need to just to get some chinese money.
21 Dec 2019, 20:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Dec 2019, 20:17 PMKatitof

It already did.
One of the football players spoke out against CCP and chinese had him removed from latest Fifa, because EA will suck any kind of cock to get even a single penny more if it could.

Same for activision blizzard, but I suppose that story is known enough to not repeat it again here.

Gaming goes political, because most big companies grew too big and too greedy, willing to do anything it takes and betray whatever values they need to just to get some chinese money.

I can imagine the situation if Activision made the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2019 with the same campaign, instead of Russia, China would be. They didn’t get a single cent in the Chinese market anymore.
21 Dec 2019, 20:38 PM

rip now China will [redacted] make the game much better long live the emperor CNCNCNCNCNCN[redacted]
21 Dec 2019, 20:52 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Follow the route of the money. From 2018:

1. Fortnite, Epic Games - $2.4 billion
2. Dungeon Fighter Online, Nexon - $1.5 billion
3. League of Legends, Riot Games, Tencent - $1.4 billion
4. Pokemon GO, Niantic - $1.3 billion
5. Crossfire, Neowiz Games - $1.3 billion
6. Honour of Kings, Tencent - $1.3 billion
7. Fate/Grand Order, Aniplex - $1.2 billion
8. Candy Crush Saga, King, Activision Blizzard - $1.1 billion
9. Monster Strike, Mixi - $1.0 billion
10. Clash Royale, Supercell, Tencent - $0.9 billion

1. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, Bluehole - $1.028 billion
2. FIFA 18, Electronic Arts - $790 million
3. Grand Theft Auto V, Take-Two Interactive - $628 million
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII, Activision Blizzard - $612 million
5. Red Dead Redemption 2, Take-Two Interactive - $516 million
6. Call of Duty: WWII, Activision Blizzard - $506 million
7. FIFA 19, Electronic Arts - $482 million
8. Monster Hunter: World, Capcom - $467 million
9. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, Ubisoft - $440 million
10. Overwatch, Activision Blizzard - $429 million

Anytime you think some game takes a stupid decision that doesn't make sense in context of the title, remember who are at the top and what they are trying to mimic.
22 Dec 2019, 06:14 AM

Comparing China with nazi Germany... I'm sorry but you are drinking the CNN coolaide if you think there is anything in common. There's not, I could list off plenty of American companies people have boycotted or American politics etc but let's not go there.

China is an exciting new market and I'm happy if Sega can build a link there. There is definitely a hunger for historical titles with Chinese gamers as total war has proven. Three kingdoms is arguably the BEST total war title since Shogun 2, so let's keep this link with Japan and China going. And less toxic fake news trying to divide a wall between east and west.
22 Dec 2019, 09:40 AM

Still living in Coldwar?
22 Dec 2019, 12:50 PM

Comparing China with nazi Germany... I'm sorry but you are drinking the CNN coolaide if you think there is anything in common. There's not, I could list off plenty of American companies people have boycotted or American politics etc but let's not go there.

China is an exciting new market and I'm happy if Sega can build a link there. There is definitely a hunger for historical titles with Chinese gamers as total war has proven. Three kingdoms is arguably the BEST total war title since Shogun 2, so let's keep this link with Japan and China going. And less toxic fake news trying to divide a wall between east and west.

22 Dec 2019, 14:57 PM

nah best game is tw wh 2 , 3k is still lacking , that's why the multiplayer is dead and there are way more content creator on tw wh 2

ùfor the china stuff, no they are a dictatorship they literally have prison labor, detention camp for "reeducation" for religious differences and thw whole hong kong fiasco, not even talking about the whole blizzard and gaming industries boot licking them since forever

and economically they to all sort of scummy and anti consumer/ anti competion practice, and the whole this country is actually china and the south sea is actually the Chinese sea too
23 Dec 2019, 03:40 AM

I’m more concerned that China is a DICTATORSHIP with no freedom of speech? Hello? Like please it’s not communism that’s wrong it’s the autoritarian state
23 Dec 2019, 04:17 AM

They like stroking eggrolls, no doubt. First they destroy strategy gaming with their terrible DLC policy towards developers, along side terrible top down management *DOW3*. Then they just jump ship and move to China. I hope they rot there.

Blizzard/Activision can do the same. They don't give a damn about people, much less consumers. I uninstalled battle.net after the debacle with Hong Kong and I urge all of you out there to do the same.
23 Dec 2019, 12:17 PM

They like stroking eggrolls, no doubt. First they destroy strategy gaming with their terrible DLC policy towards developers, along side terrible top down management *DOW3*. Then they just jump ship and move to China. I hope they rot there.

Blizzard/Activision can do the same. They don't give a damn about people, much less consumers. I uninstalled battle.net after the debacle with Hong Kong and I urge all of you out there to do the same.

Better watch what you wish for, let me remind you that outside of Relic, there is literally ZERO viable and interesting RTS games out there with deep mechanics.

SC2 is the same game it was in 1996, just with more units and better graphics, mechanically its exactly the same.

AoE? Please, its one big nostalgia party.

I wouldn't count on Iron Harvest as anything better then flavor of the month as from what I have seen so far, devs do justice to visuals, but are blindfolded in the dark room about mechanics and counters dynamics.

Ancestors Legacy? As fun as it was, no competitive matchmaking makes it dead game.
Spellforce 3 Soul Harvest, as great as it is, its too niche game to get any serious traction.
Northgard is very fun, but it requires a LOT of time and I mean A LOT, rush strats are 40 minute ones.
The Settlers might be interesting, but again, its going to be a niche one too.

Everything else isn't even worth mentioning.

So as big as DoW3 flop was, if not for Relic, there really isn't anything we can count on in RTS world.
Blizzard is too busy sucking its own dick and reheating that old pork chop we liked 20 years ago, anyone else from AAA bunch is terrified of even thinking of RTS genre and indie ones never seem to pick up even if they are good looking visually and mechanically, for whatever reason indie RTS developers firmly seem to believe competitive matchmaking or even any kind of matchmaking isn't even worth considering.
23 Dec 2019, 13:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2019, 12:17 PMKatitof

Better watch what you wish for, let me remind you that outside of Relic, there is literally ZERO viable and interesting RTS games out there with deep mechanics.

SC2 is the same game it was in 1996, just with more units and better graphics, mechanically its exactly the same.

AoE? Please, its one big nostalgia party.

I wouldn't count on Iron Harvest as anything better then flavor of the month as from what I have seen so far, devs do justice to visuals, but are blindfolded in the dark room about mechanics and counters dynamics.

Ancestors Legacy? As fun as it was, no competitive matchmaking makes it dead game.
Spellforce 3 Soul Harvest, as great as it is, its too niche game to get any serious traction.
Northgard is very fun, but it requires a LOT of time and I mean A LOT, rush strats are 40 minute ones.
The Settlers might be interesting, but again, its going to be a niche one too.

Everything else isn't even worth mentioning.

So as big as DoW3 flop was, if not for Relic, there really isn't anything we can count on in RTS world.
Blizzard is too busy sucking its own dick and reheating that old pork chop we liked 20 years ago, anyone else from AAA bunch is terrified of even thinking of RTS genre and indie ones never seem to pick up even if they are good looking visually and mechanically, for whatever reason indie RTS developers firmly seem to believe competitive matchmaking or even any kind of matchmaking isn't even worth considering.

Creative Assembly did a phenomenal job on Halo Wars 2. If I were SEGA I’d hire them to make CoH3 with the current community for balancing/testing.
23 Dec 2019, 13:20 PM

Creative Assembly did a phenomenal job on Halo Wars 2. If I were SEGA I’d hire them to make CoH3 with the current community for balancing/testing.

It being win10 exclusive doesn't really count.
I'd check it out, but its never on a sale, so can't tell much.
Still, its macro a-move rts, being console game primarily.
23 Dec 2019, 13:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2019, 13:20 PMKatitof

It being win10 exclusive doesn't really count.
I'd check it out, but its never on a sale, so can't tell much.
Still, its macro a-move rts, being console game primarily.

It’s more of a Starcraft 2/WC3 style RTS. The real impressive thing for me was the groundbreaking work they did with the AI and incorporating pro player builds, something that AoE 2: Definitive Edition has followed.

Check it out: https://youtu.be/Qwbl6eF_EMM
23 Dec 2019, 13:39 PM

I know about HW2 AI, it is impressive indeed.
But I wouldn't compare it to WC3 at all as that was all about micro. Even SC2 comparison is a stretch, tho late game can look similar I suppose.
23 Dec 2019, 18:38 PM

nah best game is tw wh 2 , 3k is still lacking , that's why the multiplayer is dead and there are way more content creator on tw wh 2

ùfor the china stuff, no they are a dictatorship they literally have prison labor, detention camp for "reeducation" for religious differences and thw whole hong kong fiasco, not even talking about the whole blizzard and gaming industries boot licking them since forever

and economically they to all sort of scummy and anti consumer/ anti competion practice, and the whole this country is actually china and the south sea is actually the Chinese sea too

Literally all things that capitalist america has done. What's so special about communism?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★