Login

russian armor

Tank stories

12 Dec 2019, 19:08 PM

https://warspot.ru/users/12363-yuriy-pasholok/published

Yuri Pasholok, a tank historian and Wargaming consultant about tanks, has articles on tank stories in English.
16 Dec 2019, 18:48 PM

Ahhh yes, modern Soviet propaganda.

I love nothing more than to read how the Tiger wasn't scary as it was painted, even tho there are caught recordings of Soviet tankers saying how really scared they were when they saw a Tiger.

I also love reading how the T-34 inspired the Tiger and Panther when in reality those designs had been in the works since the 30s.
16 Dec 2019, 19:31 PM

Ahhh yes, modern Soviet propaganda.

I love nothing more than to read how the Tiger wasn't scary as it was painted, even tho there are caught recordings of Soviet tankers saying how really scared they were when they saw a Tiger.

I also love reading how the T-34 inspired the Tiger and Panther when in reality those designs had been in the works since the 30s.

Unlike you, a person works with archives both foreign and domestic and confirms his words with photographs of documents. And does not bring complete nonsense, we already know about your position “Blessed Murica” and “Damned Commie”, it is not worth repeating it here again, so in the future I will ignore your comments.

In addition, The Chieftain himself asks Yuri for information about tanks, and I have often heard him referring to Yuri in his stories.
16 Dec 2019, 20:07 PM

When i was younger i too like read memories, but when getting older...no where lies so hard as on the hunt and on the war. Peoples on those times didn't have Internet, information very often was unclear. Now every scholar could say that this tank is Tiger, that is T-34, Panther and e.t.c
The most good way to get more clear information about case - read documents from different sides. Always have details that hidden from first look.
About first Tiger and Panthers - soviets in start of war have such heavy bastards as KV-2 and KV-1, even t-34 weight more than any german tank, while the most tough german tanks were P3 with short barrel and P4 with short barrel, no even any additional armor plates like it will be made in 1942. But Germans were stopped only near to Moscow.
When Germans got Tigers and Panthers...they couldn't even achieved previous positions near to Moscow, while soviets have only 76mm T-34 and Kv-1 as the most tough tanks. Why with thin armored, out-gunned tanks they could achive outskirts of Moscow, while have these absolutely beasts compared with other tanks (don't forget that p3 got additional armor and long barrel as well as p4) don't?
18 Dec 2019, 15:09 PM

I'm very sorry that I don't believe Soviet reports which claim the destruction of probably 500 Tigers at Kursk while in reality there were less than 200 deployed there.

Plus actual Soviet reports have been often censored on purpose for propaganda purposes, that's also the reason why nobody addresses them anywhere and only refers to Western reports which are probably more accurate because they're not as biased.

You can also think what you like, there's a reason why so few books are written on Soviet tanks and units compared to German, American and British such.
18 Dec 2019, 15:21 PM

I'm very sorry that I don't believe Soviet reports which claim the destruction of probably 500 Tigers at Kursk while in reality there were less than 200 deployed there.

You do realize Soviets considered their own and enemy tanks that were knocked out as “kills” whether they could be repaired or not? Knocking out Tigers 500 times only for most of them to be repaired seems very plausible.
18 Dec 2019, 15:35 PM

Plus actual Soviet reports have been often censored on purpose for propaganda purposes, that's also the reason why nobody addresses them anywhere and only refers to Western reports which are probably more accurate because they're not as biased.

You can also think what you like, there's a reason why so few books are written on Soviet tanks and units compared to German, American and British such.

All sides always "lied" in war. Sometimes for mistake (could you say that that tank on 2km away is Tiger or P4 with side skirts? Do we have someone who have full information about happening?), sometimes intentional (propaganda or trying to save your ass from blaming on defeat). But if someone works with documents, you ALWAYS have more chances say where true is. Soviets, germans, british, americans, japanese and e.t.c, all "lies" in the war. No one told you to trust soviet reports about success operations, but you could watch on soviet loses scripts (every regiment have such records), watch on german loses scripts and THEN compare what was in real case. That how real historican works. It's the most correct documents (from those you could find), because if you try to make your loses "lesser" on paper, when your commander will told you "attack this position, you have 3 tanks and 100 soldiers", it will be you failed if you don't do this.
About censoring soviet reports...i read some of them (you could read them too, many were published and now everyone could read them) and in many of them were very tough critique of commanders, were pointed mistakes that was made in failed operations (infantry didn't go for tanks, artillery didn't fire in right spots, recon didn't made and e.t.c). If reports were censored we will see only "Our regiment capture 100 germans!", "We capture this village with minimum loses!" and e.t.c.
18 Dec 2019, 20:40 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Thanks for this source! Definetly, he is one of the best tank historian of our age and i am happy his textes are available in English.
As far as i see, not all articles are translated at the moment. I hope later will be more :)
13 May 2020, 07:50 AM

Read more about papers owl reviews

At first glance, the book makes an excellent impression. Of course, you can find fault with the design: it is too catchy for serious scientific work. Although at the same time, the style that was characteristic of all Wargaming projects was retained.
The book is printed in A4 format on good coated paper, resistant to wear, and pleasant to the touch. The hardcover is also pleasing. There are minor complaints about color tabs, which, if handled carelessly, can easily be wrinkled.
The book describes the entire path of “Mouse”: from the first prototypes to Soviet captivity. A lot of documents are presented showing how an 80-ton tank turned into a giant weighing almost 200 tons. Despite the fact that the topic has already been thoroughly investigated both in Russian and in the world scientific literature, the book contains a lot of new and interesting information. For example, the myth that it was impossible to organize the serial production of the "Mouse" was dispelled. The book, with links to documents, confirms that already in 1943 everything was ready for the release of a test batch, and only the bombing of the Krupp factories prevented the appearance of these monsters on the battlefields. Other myths associated with this machine are dispelled.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 35
unknown 33
unknown 14
Germany 842

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %