Login

russian armor

The most OP unit is the game *drum roll* is...

PAGES (7)down
8 Dec 2019, 05:02 AM

The HMG42! Congratulations! Pretty absurd this is an actual starting unit but I'm sure we can all give up on this thing ever changing. The thing gets to be as cheap as any MG, better than any other MG, and available before any other MG at the same time.

It pins better than a USF flak HT, it kills light vehicles in one AP round burst.

Is it bad that it preforms so well? No, not necessarily. Should it preform this well and be so inexpensive AND be available right off the bat? Hell no, not from what I've seen. I'm surprised we don't hear more complaints about this especially given the inordinate amount of crying about the Soviet Maxim which isn't nearly as good as the MG42 (even though it costs the same) and requires a specific tech to unlock.

It's not going to ever change I realize that but I'd like to know the justification for this being a starting unit. It seems to me like it should be part of the same tech tree that the other support weapons are in like the mortar and sniper and Grens should be the starting unit.
8 Dec 2019, 05:20 AM

It's a starting unit because Grens aren't. Thusly allows for more flexible build strategies.

Why PzGrens are built from T0 now is another question, but whatever on that.

The only BS thing about the HMG-42 is the AP rounds make it better at killing vehicles than even the Dshka or M2HB, but it's a veteran ability so IMO it better be decent. In any case, it's not an OP unit.
8 Dec 2019, 05:32 AM

Oh, this again...

Yeah sure codguy, axis OP, we already know...
8 Dec 2019, 06:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Dec 2019, 05:02 AMCODGUY
It's not going to ever change I realize that but I'd like to know the justification for this being a starting unit.

Since when have opinions defending Axis factions changed your mind on this forum before? You’re just salty and/or trolling people.
8 Dec 2019, 06:54 AM

I was really expecting someone to say the USF ambulance. It has both 45 semi's AND AOE healing.
8 Dec 2019, 07:43 AM

I'm going to be honest; this probably isn't a balance issue. I'm not sure what your skill level is (player card link is broken?), but most players, especially at a high level, will say that USF's early game is very strong, mostly thanks to Rifles. the MG42 is fine.

Really, just post a replay of what you're having trouble with. Early game balance is actually really good right now, probably the best it's ever been. The balance issues are mostly related to unit scaling into late game, and certain late game units themselves.
8 Dec 2019, 09:33 AM

The HMG42! Congratulations! Pretty absurd this is an actual starting unit but I'm sure we can all give up on this thing ever changing. The thing gets to be as cheap as any MG, better than any other MG, and available before any other MG at the same time.

It pins better than a USF flak HT, it kills light vehicles in one AP round burst.

Is it bad that it preforms so well? No, not necessarily. Should it preform this well and be so inexpensive AND be available right off the bat? Hell no, not from what I've seen. I'm surprised we don't hear more complaints about this especially given the inordinate amount of crying about the Soviet Maxim which isn't nearly as good as the MG42 (even though it costs the same) and requires a specific tech to unlock.

It's not going to ever change I realize that but I'd like to know the justification for this being a starting unit. It seems to me like it should be part of the same tech tree that the other support weapons are in like the mortar and sniper and Grens should be the starting unit.

Because morons like you go "oh no ..asymmetric balance and shit we can't have grens coming out of t0, ost must have it that way" it's like that cus of axis fanboys and nothing else.
8 Dec 2019, 10:16 AM

this is getting boring
8 Dec 2019, 10:39 AM

It's "the most OP unit in the game" but its also "not necessarily bad that it performs so well." That makes sense
8 Dec 2019, 10:40 AM

I'm starting to sense something of a pattern here...
8 Dec 2019, 10:50 AM

It's not going to ever change I realize that but I'd like to know the justification for this being a starting unit. ...

Read the patch notes and keep in mind that USF where beating Ostheer easily at the time:

MG42 HMG:
To encourage and diversify builds we have decided to move the HMG to the HQ. We expect this change will prompt more Wehrmacht opening strategies. We have adjusted the MG42’s cost and build time to bring it more in line with its performance.

Moved to HQ
Cost increased from 240 to 260
Build time increase from 30 seconds to 36 seconds
8 Dec 2019, 11:04 AM

8 Dec 2019, 15:39 PM

It used to be in T1. It got moved to T0 for two reasons.

• The first was release version USF. All the expansion factions were horrendously broken on release, and Ostheer needed the HMG42 at the front of their build order to stop the early Rifleman squads going straight for their cutoff and staying there.
  • The second was strategic diversity: having the HMG42 in T0 allowed you to skip T1 altogether in favour of T2 rush strats.

Ostheer T1 costs 80 MP 10 FU at the moment, so moving it back to T1 would be a pretty ineffectual change.

especially given the inordinate amount of crying about the Soviet Maxim which isn't nearly as good as the MG42 (even though it costs the same) and requires a specific tech to unlock.

That's an issue of design rather than power level.

The HMG42 is a defensive HMG: it covers a wide arc and has excellent suppression, but it repositions slowly. That means it always has to stay behind your troops, like a sniper. If it doesn't, you risk losing it.

The Maxim was an aggressive HMG: a very narrow arc but quick setup time. That made it fairly useless in a defensive role, but if you A-Moved it could effectively act like a suppressing infantry squad.

Maxim Spam was a top tier strategy and so unpleasant to play against that the Balance Team would rather leave the Maxim as an off-meta unit then ever risk it coming back.

HMG42 Spam isn't a thing outside of low ranks where people can't handle HMGs in general.
9 Dec 2019, 10:45 AM

I stop reading after "The HMG42".
aaa
9 Dec 2019, 11:53 AM

i dont know how to play vs double mg start
9 Dec 2019, 19:27 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

While it isn't "the most OP unit ingame", playing against 4x MG42 backed by 2x mortar and bunker spam on rails and metal certainly makes me want to uninstall as any faction, especially brits though.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 81

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment