Login

russian armor

(4) Taman Peninsula

30 Nov 2019, 15:22 PM

I am really tired of the current 2v2 maps in COH2 so I decided to try my luck and make a map myself.

The map is a mix of village/wilderness in rural Russia. It's supposed to depict an area of the Taman peninsula (where the Kuban bridgehead was established after retreat of the German troops from the Caucasus. That's the reason the map is bordered by a big frozen body of water on one side and foothills of mountains on the other.

The map starts in a snowy night and proceeds to a clear day after around 10 minutes. The first 10 minutes are usually not as chaotic so I hope the FPS won't be too low on less powerful computers. The current atmospheric conditions are very much still a WIP. I haven't found the best preset for the day conditions yet.

Same goes for pretty much everything. This is the first version of the published map.

I am asking for as much feedback as possible. Would be amazing if someone could post a replay or let me know his thoughts.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1924657532
30 Nov 2019, 15:53 PM

2v2 Map! :clap:

I am subbed.
30 Nov 2019, 16:03 PM

Contact whiteflashreborn to have your map added to his discord for map testing and feedback.
30 Nov 2019, 16:32 PM

Contact whiteflashreborn to have your map added to his discord for map testing and feedback.

Already did. Thank you.
30 Nov 2019, 18:14 PM

I did not get a chance to play it yet, but the territory/points image on steam does not show the VPs. I assume they are middle and between the fuel+munition?
30 Nov 2019, 18:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2019, 18:14 PMRosbone
I did not get a chance to play it yet, but the territory/points image on steam does not show the VPs. I assume they are middle and between the fuel+munition?

Yes. I have to replace that screenshot with a new one. I used cheat mode with no victory conditions to take screenshots for the steam workshop page and that's why the VPS don't show up.

Edit: Already done.
30 Nov 2019, 18:20 PM

And I just thought you were a sadist and was testing in Annihilation mode Kappa
30 Nov 2019, 18:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2019, 18:20 PMRosbone
And I just thought you were a sadist and was testing in Annihilation mode Kappa

I do feel like a comp stomp player now. I played so many times vs. AI because of the map-making that when I played vs actual players yesterday evening it felt really weird :D
30 Nov 2019, 20:56 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Played 2 games, Me and LoopDLoop vs blvck and looniestrumble.

Decent map. You can really feel the amount of flanking routes in the map is substantial. At the same time, there's a lot of tree lines that makes MG spam quite difficult to counter. Left side VP is very difficult to push from the south if there's an MG to the north. Nearly impossible without smoking the MG. According to loop, there's some hedges that are both not a sight or shot blocker? If it's a heavy hedge it should at least block sight. He said this was on the right side south near the fuel where he lost his M20.

Cover is not around the map in a traditional sense. Lots of N/S facing cover meaning it's almost funky to use sometimes. Gives real adv to factions that can build cover. USF basically crying because no nondoc bags and general lack of yellow cover in the mid section.

Central lanes makes it diffcult to push support teams away with infantry. Map is essentially ruled by support team spam.

Munitions have no real cutoff, but at the same time both munitions are very accessible to both sides which is a very nice change of pace. Fuel cutoff is a bit weird. It's very much pushable, but if you lose control of the central lanes you basically lose your fuel permanently it seems like. I imagine brits with lack of indirect would get destroyed on this map.

Green cover for your opponet overlooking a fuel or cutoff is dangerous IMO. Should consider removing that.

Fuel and fuel cutoff can both be covered by single schwer HQ that is still relatively easily defended.

Retreat paths ARE NIGHTMARES if you're on the sides. Because both bases are very central based your forces tend to run through the mid cutoff which can be overrun by your opponet. Essentially forces you to push into meatgrinder center lanes instead of leaving to the sides of your base.

Left side muni small green cover wall. My suggestion is add a few more openings so it gives slightly better accessibility and retreat paths. Large building there HP should be toned down. No windows to shoot from but IIRC building holes from mortars and tanks can be shot through if they're made large enough.

Maybe add small path way to center VP for infantry and lights to contest center VP more.

Overall I'd give it about a 7.3/10. It's very much playable more so than certain other maps but it does have some annoying portions.
30 Nov 2019, 21:11 PM

Played 2 games, Me and LoopDLoop vs blvck and looniestrumble.

Decent map. You can really feel the amount of flanking routes in the map is substantial. At the same time, there's a lot of tree lines that makes MG spam quite difficult to counter. Left side VP is very difficult to push from the south if there's an MG to the north. Nearly impossible without smoking the MG. According to loop, there's some hedges that are both not a sight or shot blocker? If it's a heavy hedge it should at least block sight. He said this was on the right side south near the fuel where he lost his M20.

Cover is not around the map in a traditional sense. Lots of N/S facing cover meaning it's almost funky to use sometimes. Gives real adv to factions that can build cover. USF basically crying because no nondoc bags and general lack of yellow cover in the mid section.

Central lanes makes it diffcult to push support teams away with infantry. Map is essentially ruled by support team spam.

Munitions have no real cutoff, but at the same time both munitions are very accessible to both sides which is a very nice change of pace. Fuel cutoff is a bit weird. It's very much pushable, but if you lose control of the central lanes you basically lose your fuel permanently it seems like. I imagine brits with lack of indirect would get destroyed on this map.

Green cover for your opponet overlooking a fuel or cutoff is dangerous IMO. Should consider removing that.

Fuel and fuel cutoff can both be covered by single schwer HQ that is still relatively easily defended.

Retreat paths ARE NIGHTMARES if you're on the sides. Because both bases are very central based your forces tend to run through the mid cutoff which can be overrun by your opponet. Essentially forces you to push into meatgrinder center lanes instead of leaving to the sides of your base.

Left side muni small green cover wall. My suggestion is add a few more openings so it gives slightly better accessibility and retreat paths. Large building there HP should be toned down. No windows to shoot from but IIRC building holes from mortars and tanks can be shot through if they're made large enough.

Maybe add small path way to center VP for infantry and lights to contest center VP more.

Overall I'd give it about a 7.3/10. It's very much playable more so than certain other maps but it does have some annoying portions.

Thanks very much appreciated. These two games were the first games that were not vs CPU so there will naturally be a lot of issues to be figured out.
1 Dec 2019, 14:39 PM

V 0.2 uploaded

Gameplay changes

- different fuel cut off so fuel and cut off aren't located near each other
- access to middle VP through opening in trees for infantry
- added yellow cover in open middle areas
- added flanking routes for VP and munitions on the side
- reduced green cover at fuel
- changed rocks in middle pont so they all give green cover
- church set on fire
- more damage to garrisons
- base spawn moved away from middle and added opening in base hedgerow to make retreat paths go through the sides more often instead of middle
- added openings in stone fence next to church and main road
- adjusted some cover so they work in more directions
- added yellow cover in the forest
- opened some tree lines up so the forest areas feel less like lanes
- reduced size of road in forest
- removed deep snow
- fixed some small territory errors
- removed cover that could pull units out of capping circles
- improved pathing in forest for LV

Visual stuff

- changed atmospheric settings so now the transition from night to day takes longer
- slightly darker night settings with slightly more snowfall
- less "bright" daytime settings
- adjusted some cover to improve looks
- changed roads from splats to splines
- smoothened out the not playable areas

Bug fix

- Map crashing from artillery shells hitting a certain point has been fixed by removing a bugged object
2 Dec 2019, 14:31 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

V 0.2 uploaded

Visual stuff

- changed atmospheric settings so now the transition from night to day takes longer

Don't use transitions. It bugs a huge variety of things due to how atmosphere settings, terrain settings, and FX markers work.

Remember the Pripyat River bug where the whole forest would go up in flames after a set amount of time? Partly in part due to atmosphere transitions.

It also annihilates older PC frame rates.

This would be okay if we could make our won custom atmosphere settings and save them, but you cannot, I believe it still crashes the builder or does nothing, been awhile since I've made the mistake of trying to use it.

Now with that being said, you could adjust a preset atmosphere setting and adjust just the light colors and angel for a custom one and then transition to the one that you used... which would keep a large amount of the bugs at bay, but some would still persist and it would still annihilate framerates.
2 Dec 2019, 15:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Dec 2019, 14:31 PMTric

Don't use transitions. It bugs a huge variety of things due to how atmosphere settings, terrain settings, and FX markers work.

Remember the Pripyat River bug where the whole forest would go up in flames after a set amount of time? Partly in part due to atmosphere transitions.

It also annihilates older PC frame rates.

This would be okay if we could make our won custom atmosphere settings and save them, but you cannot, I believe it still crashes the builder or does nothing, been awhile since I've made the mistake of trying to use it.

Now with that being said, you could adjust a preset atmosphere setting and adjust just the light colors and angel for a custom one and then transition to the one that you used... which would keep a large amount of the bugs at bay, but some would still persist and it would still annihilate framerates.

Thanks for the advice. I will just remove the transition then. Kind of annoying because it's actually a very cool feature.

2 Dec 2019, 15:39 PM

Keep it a night map, where it’s absolutely gorgeous.
2 Dec 2019, 16:12 PM

V 0.3 uploaded now

Gameplay

- Added cover all over the map, especially between base and cut-offs
- changed position and direction of existing cover to make using it more intuitive
- lowered height of trees for better camera visibility
- removed some cosmetic objects to help pathing and finding more intuitive cover for infantry in forest
- opened up hedge at southern fuel to mirror northern fuel
- church state changed from burning to damaged (ungarrisonable) due to annoying burning sounds
- added more fires in forest for additional light sources
- removed atmospheric transition in favour of an atmospheric settings that hopefully gives good visibility and FPS but at the same time the atmosphere of a snowy eastern-front setting
- removed a central garrison so there is less garrison to garrison combat in the village

Visuals

- reworked fences with splines tool instead of splats to make them look smoother
- added another train track
- changed the road in the forest to one that actually gives the speed bonus + red cover, the idea behind is that on both sides of the map there is a road to allow fast flanking with vehicles
- barren southeastern corner was made a bit more interesting by moving airplane debris there from an previously cluttered spot in the forest
2 Dec 2019, 16:14 PM

Keep it a night map, where it’s absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks. I tried to keep it somewhat dim to keep the effects of the lights and fires. I like the snowy, night atmosphere too but unfortunately most coh2 players will not even give the map a fair chance if they see it's not the traditional clear daytime conditions so I had to find a compromise.
10 Dec 2019, 16:59 PM

I made it so that you can either connect your "safe fuel" directly with one of the safe points at the corner of the map and the main cut-off. Or you can connect it by owning territory point on the side + VP+ territory point next to fuel in direction of enemy base.

Obviously, this is mirrored for both sides.
10 Dec 2019, 20:04 PM

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/tamantest

So I made a steam group for people interested in testing my map. To organize test games etc.

14 Dec 2019, 16:08 PM

V 0.5

- removed unneeded/wanted/bugged objects

- width of the map slightly reduced, base spawns moved slightly towards the middle

- reworked fuel territories (now more evenly mirrored in terms of destroyable/crushable LOS blockers)

- improved pathfinding: bigger gaps between movement blocking objects and optimized object placement, movement blocking elevation smoothened out

- removal of several groves to open up the forest and make it easier to use support weapons and long-range infantry

- ice lakes now bordered by rocks/stones that can not be destroyed or crushed, ice now throughout the game only accessible by infantry units

- small cover adjustments, including balancing of craters (yellow cover)

- visual improvements (roads, textures, splats, splines, snow, ice texture)

- garrisons that were located on the edge of the map are now all out of bounds

- atmospheric settings were made slightly brighter

- boarder to non-playable area changed to prevent camera getting stuck behind corners

V 0.5.1

- groves at middle VP opened up to allow more access
- territory layout changed
18 Feb 2020, 09:23 AM

Made some new changes including removal of a garrison, shot+sight blockers and updated tac-map image. Also changed ressource lay-out, fuel now easier to contest.

Needs more testing.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS