Login

russian armor

Best "Mainline" Infantry now?

28 Nov 2019, 02:01 AM

Been playing Ost and I have to say I think right now the Grenadiers work the best as a "mainline" infantry. They cost very little and require no side techs and no vet for abilities. Volksgrenadiers used to be the best but after this last patch it seems like Grens have taken the mantle.

I don't consider Riflemen all that good because they are the least cost-efficient infantry unit in the game. Too expensive for their initial cost, too expenisve and time consuming for weapon rack upgrades, snare locked behind vet which isn't a quick process for them to vet up. They're really not that good when you factor in these extremely high costs. Most USF units have a very high cost but I think Riflemen have among the highest cost-benefit radio of any unit.

Tommies used to be the best Allied mainline infantry but the balance team took care of that last patch.

Consripts are probably the best Allied mainline right now with that 7th man upgrade. Takes a while to get there but once they do they are a pretty tough late game unit.

28 Nov 2019, 03:17 AM

Just fyi, placing 2100st as Ostheer doesn't qualify you as an Axis expert.

Also, Conscripts are the best mainlines in the game atm. They absolutely wrecked shop in the 2019 WC.
28 Nov 2019, 04:35 AM

Depends on situation (long/short range, cover and utility) and point in the game (early. mid. late)There's also cost efficiency and commanders to factor in as well.
28 Nov 2019, 07:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2019, 02:01 AMCODGUY
I think right now the Grenadiers work the best as a "mainline" infantry

28 Nov 2019, 07:19 AM

Can we close this obvious troll bait?
28 Nov 2019, 08:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2019, 07:19 AMFarlion

+1
28 Nov 2019, 09:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2019, 02:01 AMCODGUY
Been playing Ost and I have to say I think right now the Grenadiers work the best as a "mainline" infantry. They cost very little and require no side techs and no vet for abilities. Volksgrenadiers used to be the best but after this last patch it seems like Grens have taken the mantle.

I don't consider Riflemen all that good because they are the least cost-efficient infantry unit in the game. Too expensive for their initial cost, too expenisve and time consuming for weapon rack upgrades, snare locked behind vet which isn't a quick process for them to vet up. They're really not that good when you factor in these extremely high costs. Most USF units have a very high cost but I think Riflemen have among the highest cost-benefit radio of any unit.

Tommies used to be the best Allied mainline infantry but the balance team took care of that last patch.

Consripts are probably the best Allied mainline right now with that 7th man upgrade. Takes a while to get there but once they do they are a pretty tough late game unit.

Been playing USF and I have to say I think right now the Riflemen work the best as mainline infantry. They are extremely powerful even without weapon racks and have insane vet bonuses. Volksgrenadiers used to be the best early-mid game but after this last patch it seems like Riflemen have taken the mantle.

I consider Riflemen too good because they are the most cost-efficient infantry unit in the game. Too cheap considering the free squads USF gets, too cheap overall, and too powerful once weapon rack upgrades come in. Highest combat bonuses from veterancy of any mainline infantry and the ability to double equip BARs. They're really too good when you factor in the extremely high combat strength. Most USF units have very high combat strength but I think Riflemen have the highest cost-effectiveness of any unit.

28 Nov 2019, 11:04 AM

My god this rank2000 man is right! Too many times I just overwhelm my oppomemt unfairly from the get go with my grens assaulting enemy positions straight on and still winning the fights! Nerf to 3-men grens when?
28 Nov 2019, 11:07 AM

My god this rank2000 man is right! Too many times I just overwhelm my oppomemt unfairly from the get go with my grens assaulting enemy positions straight on and still winning the fights! Nerf to 3-men grens when?

With 3 men their DPS will be too concentrated and there will be little to none drop off with models dying. I suggest 2 men.
28 Nov 2019, 11:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2019, 11:07 AMJilet

With 3 men their DPS will be too concentrated and there will be little to none drop off with models dying. I suggest 2 men.

Lol nice try wehraboo: With 2 model grens ostheer player would instaretreat them at the slightest hint of receiving damage, which would skyrocket the op cost efficiency that CODGUY already complained about in the starting post. You axis fanboys sicken me.
28 Nov 2019, 12:26 PM

Lol nice try wehraboo: With 2 model grens ostheer player would instaretreat them at the slightest hint of receiving damage, which would skyrocket the op cost efficiency that CODGUY already complained about in the starting post. You axis fanboys sicken me.

4man squad stays, but only 2 models get a weapon, is my suggestion
28 Nov 2019, 12:42 PM

early-mid game : rifleman

late game : Vet 3 LMG uber grenadier
28 Nov 2019, 13:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2019, 12:42 PMblancat

Which makes sense really. Rifles are the most upfront so you start getting results from that alone but grens are the squishiest so if nurtured to max vet they pay dividends. Seems fair to me really.
28 Nov 2019, 14:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2019, 07:19 AMFarlion
+ 1
28 Nov 2019, 14:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2019, 12:42 PMblancat

any way to back up ur claims ? cuase the DR actually make them worse vs small arms
28 Nov 2019, 15:59 PM

Conscripts or rifles by far, svt/7 men make cons super cost effecient and imba, while the rifle bar upgrades make the already strong rifles even better.
28 Nov 2019, 16:25 PM

It changes depending on the stage of the game.

In this patch?

Penal Troops are probably the best on a squad-by-squad basis, but their price and teching path limits their number. Vetted Penals are really good, but their reliance on veterancy makes them irreplacable: if your late game Penals die, they're not getting rebuilt.

Infantry Sections have a weak early game now, but they're still solid with their upgrades. I think they're let down by their faction's lack of proper support for them rather than their own stats.

Riflemen are the best all-rounders: they're okay early on if they can get into close combat and their scaling is great, especially with their weapon upgrades. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Grenadiers are still the glass cannons they've always been: they punch above their weight if the enemy plays their long range game, but they're reliant on their support weapons to make the enemy do that. The effect only intensifies as the game goes on: vetted LMG Grens are damage monsters, but being a 4-man in the explosive-filled late game is a dangerous state of play.

Volks haven't changed much, but their circumstances have: their strength has always been their rapid buildup of numbers and flanking Sturmpioneer support. Their solid weapon upgrade, ability to upgrade in enemy territory and ability to build their own cover are all nothing to be sniffed at, though.

Conscripts are the winners of the last two patches, with the 7-man upgrade turning them into Super Ostruppen. They don't get it until the late game though, meaning SOV still relies on their light vehicle rush to carry them them through the midgame where Conscripts are at their weakest.
28 Nov 2019, 17:30 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2019, 16:25 PMLago
snip

/Thread.

28 Nov 2019, 18:14 PM

Like Lago put it, there's no real ''best'' infantry in the game as every mainline has a different role in their army. It's true that some punch harder than other but that alone doesn't make it a direct upgrade from a supposedly weaker adversary.
29 Nov 2019, 00:32 AM

Permanently Banned
best early-mid inf: Rifles, Best late: 7man cons
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment