Login

russian armor

PTAB vs IL-2 Rocket Run

22 Nov 2019, 18:21 PM

I've been testing the Soviet ram-and-bomb combos in the cheat mod, and I've discovered something... odd.

Soviet Airborne comes with an IL-2 Rocket Strafe. If you can pull this off, it does huge damage to a single target. You can reliably deal 700ish damage to a Tiger with it if you line it up properly, which isn't too hard if you snare it or throw a T-34 at it.

Soviet Anti-Tank comes with a similar PTAB bombing run. This one has a bigger aiming area so easier to hit with, it only does about 300 damage: it won't kill a medium that sits in the blast zone.

But here's the kicker: the PTAB run costs 180 muntions. The Rocket Strafe costs 100 munitions.

Surely this is wrong? The PTAB run does almost half the damage of the rocket run for almost twice the cost.

Are the costs backwards or something?
22 Nov 2019, 18:34 PM

PTAB is probably bugged, as it used to kill elephant alone
22 Nov 2019, 18:36 PM

It used to be a nuke on anything up to a KT if you pointed it the right way.

Pretty sure it got nerfed into oblivion, either intentionally or by accident.
22 Nov 2019, 18:39 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Bug or ninja change.
22 Nov 2019, 19:26 PM

I fully believe 2ith the spaghetti code that they changed the profile to the osther frag bombing run, cause now it wipes inf easy

Tomorrow will check atribute editor
22 Nov 2019, 20:05 PM

I fully believe 2ith the spaghetti code that they changed the profile to the osther frag bombing run, cause now it wipes inf easy

Tomorrow will check atribute editor

It was always good vs infantry due to sheer density of bomblets.
23 Nov 2019, 04:02 AM

Bug or ninja change.

It was a ninja change, or almost ninja. I think it was changed in the same patch that changed some of the abilities. The strange thing is that I read about the nerf somewhere but can't find it in the official patch notes. The nerf was intentional. You can still find videos of the old one on Youtube (killing Tigers, wiping multiple squads, etc).

Because of the huge AOE, it used to wipe up to about 3 squads with the bomblets. It was batshit OP but was the only reason to pick the doctrine originally. The damage was nerfed so that it wouldn't wipe squads, but also made it terribly weak against armor. The profile might have been matched to the Ost frag bombing but the bomblets are spread out enough that it doesn't wipe like the frag bombing run does. It also seems to arrive about 1-2 seconds slower which is a significant difference.
23 Nov 2019, 04:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Nov 2019, 18:21 PMLago

Soviet Anti-Tank comes with a similar PTAB bombing run. This one has a bigger aiming area so easier to hit with, it only does about 300 damage: it won't kill a medium that sits in the blast zone.

Did you try testing it on larger targets? Because one of the reasons its weaker against mediums is the bombs are more spread out. It still does a good amount of damage against elefants, JTs (more surface area to hit)

Edit: Just used it in cheat commands against JTs and Elefants, you can consistently take out more than half their health. Got an elefant to below 1/4 health with one of my tests, still a very good ability. Also stuns the tanks which il2 rockets dont do

The same reason its easier to hit with is the reason its not great against mediums. The bombs are meant to cover a wide area as opposed to the rocket run which is very concentrated but easy to miss with
23 Nov 2019, 13:40 PM

Did you try testing it on larger targets? Because one of the reasons its weaker against mediums is the bombs are more spread out. It still does a good amount of damage against elefants, JTs (more surface area to hit)

Edit: Just used it in cheat commands against JTs and Elefants, you can consistently take out more than half their health. Got an elefant to below 1/4 health with one of my tests, still a very good ability. Also stuns the tanks which il2 rockets dont do

The same reason its easier to hit with is the reason its not great against mediums. The bombs are meant to cover a wide area as opposed to the rocket run which is very concentrated but easy to miss with

I was dropping them on Tigers.
23 Nov 2019, 13:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Nov 2019, 20:05 PMKatitof

It was always good vs infantry due to sheer density of bomblets.
ok im on pc checking now

edit: ok bois found the PTAB ability but can't find damage or target value anyone has any idea ?

EDIT 2: ok boys found it, it has same damage value of the frag bomb run but it lack the old target table bonus vs tank, thank u spaghetti code (for example the AT stuka run have a damage multiplayer of 6 for tanks)

btw checking more it seems the frag bombing run is using the Single player profile and not the MP profile

23 Nov 2019, 15:31 PM

this one literally shows how it used to eat up elephant and KT for breakfast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsRAYkVaA_Q&t=
23 Nov 2019, 17:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Nov 2019, 13:40 PMLago

I was dropping them on Tigers.

Okay well you only mentioned "it won't kill a medium". Idk what you were doing wrong but you can still get heavies to well below half health with it, on top of the stun

this one literally shows how it used to eat up elephant and KT for breakfast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsRAYkVaA_Q&t=

Pretty sure it still does that damage. You only see it killing elefants that are already damaged. In my test I got it to reduce an elefant to less than 1/4 health a couple times
23 Nov 2019, 17:42 PM

Do you have any way of checking what it was on release? The damage against infantry was nerfed also. It used to be like the USF cluster bomb with a similar area to it but arriving even faster. It needed to be nerfed but not to where it is now.
23 Nov 2019, 18:20 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

btw checking more it seems the frag bombing run is using the Single player profile and not the MP profile

Dejavú, i've been in this place before...
23 Nov 2019, 19:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Nov 2019, 17:42 PMGrumpy

Do you have any way of checking what it was on release? The damage against infantry was nerfed also. It used to be like the USF cluster bomb with a similar area to it but arriving even faster. It needed to be nerfed but not to where it is now.

I still have seen no evidence that it's been nerfed, and it's still a very good ability....

You just reading right over the part where I say it can leave an elefant below 1/4 health?? That's very good damage (800+), idk what you mean by "where it is now". Go in cheatmods yourself and test it
23 Nov 2019, 19:35 PM

I still have seen no evidence that it's been nerfed, and it's still a very good ability....

You just reading right over the part where I say it can leave an elefant below 1/4 health?? That's very good damage (800+), idk what you mean by "where it is now". Go in cheatmods yourself and test it

I just tested it and under perfect conditions the PTAB AT bombs do around 1/4 to 1/3 HP damage on an Elefant or KT. What you say is just factually wrong. I think what happened in your test is that you used the regular IL2 bombing run instead of the PTAB one.
23 Nov 2019, 19:55 PM

I just tested it and under perfect conditions the PTAB AT bombs do around 1/4 to 1/3 HP damage on an Elefant or KT. What you say is just factually wrong. I think what happened in your test is that you used the regular IL2 bombing run instead of the PTAB one.

Nope try again. I will go get screenshots this time, you are mistaken
23 Nov 2019, 20:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Nov 2019, 17:42 PMGrumpy

actually it has same damage as frag bombs
23 Nov 2019, 20:01 PM

Dejavú, i've been in this place before...
???
23 Nov 2019, 20:13 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

???

Not the first time that SP profiles get's mixed in the multiplayer.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★