Login

russian armor

Having spotting scopes work while rotating

12 Nov 2019, 19:51 PM

Spotting scopes are kinda borderline unusable right now. They got a tad over nerfed. It's an ordeal using it to aquire targets, and use it to fight with, say, stugs. Having the scope still work while rotating would make em far more practical than the state the ability is in right now. Though, They'd probably would need a slight price increase as a result.
12 Nov 2019, 19:54 PM

Yea it got overnerfed
12 Nov 2019, 20:03 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Could probably look at trying to lower the time needed for them to activate. Think it's 1.5 seconds now? should maybe lower it to 1.

As for OPs suggestion, I'm not sure if that's possible since rotation counts as movement and therefore potentially cannot be distinguished by game code as what we call movement or rotation if that makes sense.
12 Nov 2019, 20:47 PM

I'm not sure if that's possible since rotation counts as movement and therefore potentially cannot be distinguished by game code as what we call movement or rotation if that makes sense.

If this is the case, then I would suggest another direction be taken with the scope-nerf. Having the bonus disable while rotating makes the upgrade somewhat pointless on turet-less TDs. Perhaps instead of an over-all buff, convert scopes into a "trade-off" upgrade; give a (permanent) sight range buff and possibly even a firing-range buff, but have scopes also lower vehicle rotation and/or turret rotation?
12 Nov 2019, 20:48 PM

Could probably look at trying to lower the time needed for them to activate. Think it's 1.5 seconds now? should maybe lower it to 1.

As for OPs suggestion, I'm not sure if that's possible since rotation counts as movement and therefore potentially cannot be distinguished by game code as what we call movement or rotation if that makes sense.

It's a shame all my "good" ideas are nonfeasable due to the physical limitations of the game. Another idea would be to possibly turn into a jury rigged version of the focus sight ability SU-85s get. Give it a 1 second delay to deactivate after activating, and reduce the vehicle's speed by a sizable amount while toggled
12 Nov 2019, 22:00 PM

Buy scopes on 222 and forget about it -> 222 vets from shooting down planes -> 90 vision range profit
12 Nov 2019, 22:39 PM

Spotting scopes are up and there are number of ways o fixing them here are some suggestions that can be combined:

Change to timed ability with no cost but long CD
add a linger time before the bonus sight goes (especially for casemate that autrotate to fire and then stop since they loose vision)
Lower price/make free
Change bonuses according to unit type, reckon, Tank case mate
Add 5-10 sight even when moving
Change sight bonus to be similar to focus sight
12 Nov 2019, 23:56 PM

What about coupling it with an accuracy bonus?
Alternatively I do like the idea of trying it at a 1 second delay instead of 1.5
13 Nov 2019, 01:26 AM

They're fine

Put them on 222s or your halftrack (turret/handbrake) = problem solved. No need to make them into a clone of soviet tracking, which is both expensive and super situational to even be useful
13 Nov 2019, 01:47 AM

Scopes could come with a movement type toggle that reduces max speed to 10% or whatever. I'd imagine that'd allow them to rotate without really moving anywhere, but might conflict with toggled off vehicles that are stopped.
13 Nov 2019, 02:06 AM

They're fine

Put them on 222s or your halftrack (turret/handbrake) = problem solved. No need to make them into a clone of soviet tracking, which is both expensive and super situational to even be useful

Basically this is only way to use spotting scope now. It is pretty good no doubt. Early 222 to ward off infantry, gives AA later and spotting scope for elefant
13 Nov 2019, 02:28 AM

you can rotate a cloaked raketen but not move it, so it should be possible i guess.
13 Nov 2019, 02:59 AM

They're fine

More situational than a universal upgrade only worth it for 2 vehicles?
13 Nov 2019, 03:02 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

you can rotate a cloaked raketen but not move it, so it should be possible i guess.

but even then it receives the "moving debuff" so it's still technically movement. Idk would need to actually test it.
13 Nov 2019, 03:09 AM

Maybe doctrines with spotting scopes, we add a puma to them, and restrict the ss upgrade to light vehicles with 1s penalty instead of 1.5s.

Last nerf to ss and command p4 mostly killed Wehr doc of them
13 Nov 2019, 03:16 AM

More situational than a universal upgrade only worth it for 2 vehicles?

Just because it's not defying the point of the game mechanics doesn't mean it's situational. Anything that provided Intel on your enemy is valuable. Do you suicide your tanks or when they get low do you repair them? If you repair them how do you do it while the are moving? You can't. And while you are in for repairs the scopes are making sure you have as much time to respond to a cheeky dive as possible.
Ever park a tank near the front so it's on hand for your next push? Me too! And scopes will help you get a lay of the land.

Just because they arnt able to be used offensively doesn't mean they are bad. They are cheap and any of the inevitable times your vehicle stops moving for a second and a half you get more vision.

So yes, it's FAR less situational than "slows movement and changes vision form 360to a cone" the fact you think it isn't screams bias.
13 Nov 2019, 03:54 AM

So yes, it's FAR less situational than "slows movement and changes vision form 360to a cone" the fact you think it isn't screams bias.

I wasnt interested in turning it into the SUs focus vison. if it wasnt possible to just make the scope work while the vehicle rotated, I wanted to model a togglable ability similar to the SU's ability. So it would not change its enhanced vision. The ability would severely reduce the speed of the vehicle while activated instead. If a doctrinal upgrade is not helpful for the majority of what it applies to, eyou should make it so that it is, and adjust the price accordingly. Hell it could even be a trade off with the pintle mg like the OKW's Panzer commander ability.
13 Nov 2019, 03:59 AM

The modifier facing_only_enable, also used for Hit The Dirt!, allows a unit to rotate while being prevented from actual movement.

A way to implement it would be a "Scope Enable" toggle ability that applies the facing_only_enable modifier, and exclusively applies a scatter multiplier of 1 so that it overwrites and negates any accuracy penalties for "movement" while turning (only really necessary for the StuG)
13 Nov 2019, 04:41 AM

I wasnt interested in turning it into the SUs focus vison. if it wasnt possible to just make the scope work while the vehicle rotated, I wanted to model a togglable ability similar to the SU's ability. So it would not change its enhanced vision. The ability would severely reduce the speed of the vehicle while activated instead. If a doctrinal upgrade is not helpful for the majority of what it applies to, eyou should make it so that it is, and adjust the price accordingly. Hell it could even be a trade off with the pintle mg like the OKW's Panzer commander ability.

But it IS helpful on all vehicles. It still provides massively increased vision when stopped. It just takes a second to kick in. As I listed in my previous post there are many scenarios where you will "accidently" benifit from it. It's a scouting ability and it takes less time than it takes to fire a flare to kick in. People are just used to it being over powered. It could see a slight reduction in time to kick in but it's far from not helpful.
13 Nov 2019, 12:15 PM
Patrion 310

Spotting scopes are still perfectly usable, they are just not as strong (op) as before. I also don't understand why the Elephant is still able to get it either.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★