Login

russian armor

British Infantry Rework

22 Oct 2019, 07:04 AM

With British Infantry being a popular subject again, I figured I'd throw my idea back into the mix. This concept is intended to normalize and diversify British Infantry, moving away from Double Bren Medics to a more diverse and balanced army.

Bolster Infantry is now combined with squad upgrades (Medic/Smoke) and is made accessible very early on. Bolster Infantry no longer automatically increases squad size, instead three options are unlocked so that a new soldier may be added depending on the role desired. The new options are:

Recon Team Upgrade: Adds a Marksman to the squad and unlocks the Artillery Flares. The Marksman will pick off wounded models and his Scoped Lee–Enfield (transferable, no drop) takes one weapon slot.

Medic Team Upgrade: Adds a Combat Medic with a Lee-Enfield to the squad and unlocks the ability to drop Medical Crates. The medic passively heals his unit while out of combat and occupies one weapon slot.

Weapons Team Upgrade: Adds a 5th man with no unique qualities or abilities, with just a Lee-Enfield he grants a minor increase to staying power and damage output. Weapons sections may be equipped with 2 heavy weapons, but have no special abilities.

The Assault Sections, Anti-Tank Sections, and Royal Engineers are automatically granted an extra man with no special properties (except for the Assault Section, where the extra man has a STEN instead of the squad's default weapon).

Due to the way the new Bolster works, the new member will need reinforced in same as Grenadier Squad Leaders or Conscript Mobilize Reserves. To compensate, Infantry Sections and Royal Engineers become slightly cheaper and Squad Upgrades applied instantly. The positive side of this is that getting an early or late bolster always costs the same.

-End Bolster Changes-

Royal Engineers may now be upgraded to Assault Sappers, locking out the later Heavy Engineer upgrade. Assault Sappers have comparable performance to USF's Assault Engineers and fill a role as an offensive infantry unit, contrasted with the cover-based Sections.

Additionally: rework the base howitzers so that the first howitzer always fires a certain number of shots with low scatter to assist in the destruction of bunkers or buildings. Few things in UKF are more disappointing than firing both base guns at an Ostheer MG Bunker only for it to still stand with a sliver of health.
22 Oct 2019, 09:34 AM

The medic and recce sections sound nice, but weapon sections are no different from currently double bren 5 man sections. I suggest the upgrade come with a transferable bren on the 5th man when reinforced.

Also, in your proposal, sections will hava 2 weapon slot ? So if any upgrade take up 1 slot, they still can have 1 weapon ?
22 Oct 2019, 16:17 PM

About medic upgrade. Either self heal or drop medic crates, both is too much.
22 Oct 2019, 20:56 PM

The medic and recce sections sound nice, but weapon sections are no different from currently double bren 5 man sections. I suggest the upgrade come with a transferable bren on the 5th man when reinforced.

I thought of that before and calling it Bren Section Upgrade, as the Bren was as centripetal to the British Army as the Maschinengewehr was to the Germans. However that would serve no purpose other than limiting player choice, while 99% of the time players are going to use 2x Brens anyway, I didn't want to limit the one guy that might want 2 PIAT's.

That said the difference between this section and the current ones is that they give up the option for a marksman / artillery or a medic / healing in order to get 2 weapons, rather than the current of Double Bren Medic Section which practically has it all.

Also, in your proposal, sections will hava 2 weapon slot ? So if any upgrade take up 1 slot, they still can have 1 weapon ?

Yes, Sections have 2 slots and each upgrades takes 1 except for the Weapon Section, which specifically takes none so that 2 weapons can be used. It's like this, their specialization is using heavy weapons, rather than deploying a a marksman or a medic.

I very much want to move away from Medic Sections being mandatory for healing by having healing tied directly to them. I did this by splitting the healing into two parts, their medic will heal the squad, but they may also heal other squads by deploying medical crates. This way, they do not need to be present to heal other troops. I do still think healing is inadequate even with this change, but I opted not to expand on it yet and just lay the groundwork here. The simplest solution would be to allow the British Medics to be buildable at one of your base buildings.
26 Nov 2020, 17:10 PM

I thought of that before and calling it Bren Section Upgrade, as the Bren was as centripetal to the British Army as the Maschinengewehr was to the Germans. However that would serve no purpose other than limiting player choice, while 99% of the time players are going to use 2x Brens anyway, I didn't want to limit the one guy that might want 2 PIAT's.

That said the difference between this section and the current ones is that they give up the option for a marksman / artillery or a medic / healing in order to get 2 weapons, rather than the current of Double Bren Medic Section which practically has it all.

Yes, Sections have 2 slots and each upgrades takes 1 except for the Weapon Section, which specifically takes none so that 2 weapons can be used. It's like this, their specialization is using heavy weapons, rather than deploying a a marksman or a medic.

I was getting into modding recently and make a rework for ukf infantry with some element similar to your setup here. Still, the issue i think will happen is that recon section with 1x bren setup will overshadow the bren section upgrade by a lot, since it have access to arty and can deal dmg with the bren as well as snipe models with the scope. The scope enfield should take up both weapon slots.
26 Nov 2020, 17:59 PM

Losing out on an extra model and 1 bren gun is quite a big performance drop.
26 Nov 2020, 20:11 PM

I was getting into modding recently and make a rework for ukf infantry with some element similar to your setup here. Still, the issue i think will happen is that recon section with 1x bren setup will overshadow the bren section upgrade by a lot, since it have access to arty and can deal dmg with the bren as well as snipe models with the scope. The scope enfield should take up both weapon slots.

Intended design, to be honest. One of my goals was to diversify the double Bren and Medic meta by separating those upgrades. The double Bren is still possible, but the trade-off is the squad gains no utility. Whether or not Scope+Bren is overpowered might depend on how strong the Scope is and the damage profile of the weapon.

The 2 examples we have today are the Jager G43 and M1 Garand, the Jager G43 has a higher chance to snipe than the M1 Garand, although the specifics have left my mind, meanwhile according to the stat's website the G43 has negligible DPS while the M1 Garand uses the "Elite" M1 Carbine profile and does only slightly less.

I envision the Recon section most likely using a Bren to whittle down enemies for the Marksman to eliminate them. I hope the combination won't prove troublesome.
Pip
27 Nov 2020, 00:06 AM

I like this idea, though I would rather do without the Medic upgrade. With the advent of Medics for UKF (And the fact they can get Medics on their Forward Assembly) I think Medic Sections are deprecated, and especially in their current configuration; Entirely too strong.

I like the idea of the Marksman section, though. Perhaps replace the Medic upgrade with an upgrade which gives them a model with a Sten or Thompson?(Or no extra model, but a thompson anyway) Perhaps this could give them an offmap smoke barrage, as UKF do have some trouble accessing smokes.

Perhaps this would be too strong, though.
27 Nov 2020, 00:52 AM

I like these ideas but it's quite a complicated change.
27 Nov 2020, 01:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Nov 2020, 00:52 AMSpoof
I like these ideas but it's quite a complicated change.

From the modding respective, it is not too difficult to do, what hard is balance it out. Still, with the adding of medic and change to forward assembly, i think applying recon section and weapon section is enough.
27 Nov 2020, 01:37 AM

It will ve very nice If this kind of rework can be consider with 2021 patch.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★