Login

russian armor

Please give the MG42 back some bite and other musings

2 Oct 2013, 16:57 PM

If I remember correctly, suppression is just suppression*bullets fired (bullets fired = rate of fire * burst length). Doesn't matter if they hit, so accuracy doesn't do anything for it. However, there are additional suppression modifiers in the cover tables, 0.5 for light and 0.1 for heavy cover.
3 Oct 2013, 05:14 AM
Donator 33

- Where art thou?

Anyway, thank you Apple and VonI, for the sober replies :)
3 Oct 2013, 15:26 PM

If I remember correctly, suppression is just suppression*bullets fired (bullets fired = rate of fire * burst length). Doesn't matter if they hit, so accuracy doesn't do anything for it. However, there are additional suppression modifiers in the cover tables, 0.5 for light and 0.1 for heavy cover.

But if thats the case, why are there so diffrent outcomes in the time the mg needs to surpress? Only because of occasional yellow cover? Hmm.
3 Oct 2013, 16:30 PM

But if thats the case, why are there so diffrent outcomes in the time the mg needs to surpress? Only because of occasional yellow cover? Hmm.

I did a quick search but it seems they took down the last mirror of the old CoH1 stats site. The site had a pretty good writeup of how the cover system worked in CoH1 and I can only assume it behaves roughly the same (though infantry in CoH2 don't seem to show the variance in treshold and recovery speed as CoH1 infantry so there may very well be differences). The writeup on the companyofheroes wikia doesn't seem to be as in-depth :/

The variances in the amount of suppression done might be a result of cover as well as squad spacing (e.g. nearby suppression values/modifiers though I think those only affected nearby squads in CoH1). Cover seems to be pretty spotty in CoH2 with light cover nearly everywhere from small bushes and a little grass to small craters. Maybe it is already enough if one infantryman has light cover for the suppression calculation? We know that a single guy in light cover can show the yellow shield icon but the rest of the squad can still die because they are in negative cover. Maybe we're seeing the inverse of this effect for suppression? Just a lot of speculation, of course.
3 Oct 2013, 18:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Since I see my units get supressed in light cover too, I'm not convinced that this is a problem.

However, if it is in fact that, I suppose it could somehow be fixed by decreasing the value of cover if the unit is moving?

Had several matches than even if i had forward vision with an MG, shocktroops would just run forward n throw nades due to light cover craters : /
3 Oct 2013, 21:11 PM

Shocktroops? Yes ofc. They cost 440 mp. They are allowed not to nosedive at the very first MG-bullet.

The issue here was some ppl who said conscripts run through unhindered. Which happens to be untrue in 98% of cases.
3 Oct 2013, 21:29 PM

Shocktroops? Yes ofc. They cost 440 mp. They are allowed not to nosedive at the very first MG-bullet.

The issue here was some ppl who said conscripts run through unhindered. Which happens to be untrue in 98% of cases.

Suppression happens at the same rate regardless of armour so if Shock Troops can walk through MG fire unhindered then conscripts can do the same.

The only difference between the two in this case is that the conscript squad will be dying as it is walking up which doesn't really matter since as long as the molotov is thrown the engagement is essentially won in 90% of cases.
4 Oct 2013, 18:04 PM

I strongly disagree with this. No troops should be allowed to charge through machinegunfire. Supressing is the only thin i does well, if troops can charge head on it looses its usefulnes and the game basicly turns in to hordes of infantry roaming the map.

The removal of "supersprint" was one of the few good changes mad from vCOH.
4 Oct 2013, 21:03 PM

True, however, the super sprint was one of the things that helped balance out the MGs of those games from dominating.
5 Oct 2013, 09:05 AM

I strongly disagree with this. No troops should be allowed to charge through machinegunfire. Supressing is the only thin i does well, if troops can charge head on it looses its usefulnes and the game basicly turns in to hordes of infantry roaming the map.

The removal of "supersprint" was one of the few good changes mad from vCOH.

Demanding that some unit can achieve something 100% of the time is a mindset best suited for chess and similar games.

This is war.

Shit happens and random stuff will play in. That's how it should be and I like it.

And again: It's about 2% of the times that an infantry unit can walk unhindered through MG fire.
5 Oct 2013, 09:53 AM

Again, the biggest problem isn't that they're getting through MG fire from the front. The problem is basically they're running up, getting suppressed within grenade of molotov range, and throwing before being pinned.

That may be somewhat intentional.
5 Oct 2013, 10:29 AM

Permanently Banned
Nothing entering into the arc of either HMG should be able to do anything except eat dirt.
5 Oct 2013, 10:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2013, 09:53 AMTurtle
Again, the biggest problem isn't that they're getting through MG fire from the front. The problem is basically they're running up, getting suppressed within grenade of molotov range, and throwing before being pinned.

That may be somewhat intentional.

I think that number of times the unit can get through MG42 fire and land Molotov on it, about equals number of times molotov doesn't do shit to MG42.

If RNG God likes you in one game, you forget it fast and attribute success entirely to yourself. If the RNG God has a pick on you, than its just ridiculously hard to play and everyone remembers that bit, frustrating.....

I think we all do it
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS