Login

russian armor

[Case Blue] Kharkov Pursuit - General Difficulty

28 Sep 2013, 13:48 PM

Hi, can anyone give me some suggestions on how to approach this mission, with regards to commander trees, build orders, bulletins, etc?

I find myself swamped by the 10 minute mark and cannot make a powerful comeback. It seems like infantry take ages to kill!
28 Sep 2013, 14:02 PM

Permanently Banned
is this an AI battle? if it is, i beated both of them about 5 min. Just do standard 3 gren,1 mg, and 1 halftrack and in the snow one you will get a pak too which will beat those t34, t70,kv8 spam, and yeah, put bunkers at keypoints it will hold them and you dont need to leave army to defend
28 Sep 2013, 14:03 PM

Permanently Banned
if it is COOP, i dont playd that but if you go the infatry one do gren spam with g43 + mortals against buildings + bunker(reinforcement) and if you go the tank player one, fight trought yourself to the infatry player . :)
28 Sep 2013, 14:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Only get mg42s. lock down the fuel and cutoff points.Drive p4 to hise base: win
Use experience bulletin for mg to get incendiary rounds agains m3s.
In my case the cpu called in smoke bomb drops all the time, when thats not even possible for soviets :P
8 Nov 2013, 23:01 PM

That sounds like an interesting strat with MGs.

I've completed this as the tank player with AI team mate, but the playing as the inf player is the only mission I have failed to complete on general difficulty. The AI does not manage to break through to you, and although I have some success, the soviet pushes back.

I might go back and try with MGs.
3 May 2014, 10:50 AM
Honorary Member Badge

So, anyone given this a go in the latest patch?
7 May 2014, 09:12 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Well, glad I do not have to do that again in a hurry.

A strat that involves holding ground doesn't work well because there are too many enemies and partisans will cut your lines anyway.

So I did this:

Elite Troops:

GREN
GREN
GREN
GREN
Medic

T1

Pak
Half Track

Don't worry about fuel, only worry about munitions until you have enough to equipe with G43s.

The move around trying to take the VP spots only whilst saving MP for the Tiger Ace

If you can capture thier ZIS too more power to you.

But G43s are the only way your infantry will be competetive and mobile.
1 Jul 2014, 00:29 AM

Has anyone beaten this lately? I've read else where that after a patch a while back it became much more difficult.

I've been try to finish Kharhov Pursuit for days now. Granted I'm only attempting it on easy and I've only been playing COH2 for a few months, I still have a good understanding of the game and how to deploy and use the various units, this particular mission seems GD impossible. Most of the other missions have been challenging but doable. But this one, my god the enemy spawns their units so fast I can't keep up. In fact I'm not sure that even if I had full control of the map I would be able to spawn the enemies that fast.
1 Jul 2014, 07:58 AM

I saved up one screen from this mission http://up.oblivionlost.pl/images/40850233275409153511.jpg
I did made some grens (4), mortars (2), mgs (2 or more) and paks (2) with HT. Get the Festung Armor doctrine and try survive to PZ IV command tank and trench him on the middle of the map. Make one more PZ IV and trench him on right star with mg, pak and mortar support. Watch my screen where and what i take on the map. Good luck

http://up.oblivionlost.pl/images/30636859850496457592.jpg And I will serve to help if u have any problem with ToW :)
1 Jul 2014, 18:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge

See above for how I finally beat it on General.

You can beat it more conventionally on lower difficulties but a strategy that depends on holding ground tends not work because of partisans.

You can hold ground more easily if you destory all the relevent buildings, which makes right fuel in particular far more doable because there are only about 4 buildings to kill to secure it.

You need to cover the cut off though

2 Jul 2014, 02:55 AM

Since the patch there have been lots and lots of posts/complaints about Kharkov Pursuit on the GENERAL level. Like many people, it was the only scenario that I needed to finish all of the Case Blue games. Like many people, I was frustrated to no end. I played it roughly 50 times over the last several weeks, only to be dominated by their infantry with flamethrowers spam. Today, I came up with a new strategy and tried it 3 times. I finally beat Kharkov Pursuit on GENERAL on my 3rd try and completed my Case Blue package. Here is how I did it in the hopes it might help some of you. I have about 500 hours on COH2. Keep in mind that I am no expert and the things I write here are only my opinion/experience. This is what worked for me and it will not work for everyone. Also, there are surely other ways to beat Kharkov… I am simply describing the only way I was able to find. There are some important things to understand right up front:
There are almost no ammo points and almost no fuel points on this map.
It will be an infantry-heavy encounter, and Ivan will outnumber your troops many times to one.
Almost all of the Russian troops will have flamethrowers.
Keep your troops away from the Russian troops. They are good. They have flamethrowers and they will kill you.
Because they all have flamethrowers, do not waste your ammunition on LMG’s for your Grens. Save your ammo for the occasional PFaust. Attack their infantry with your infantry only from long range where the FT cannot get you. For this, the standard issue K98 works very well. Keep your squads alive. Engage at distance, then flee. This will save manpower costs and it will allow your Grens to vet up over time.
Because there are so few fuel points, do not go for tanks. You will never have enough fuel to get to T3.
Because there are so fuel points, the Rus will field little armor as well. In the 50 or so games I played before I finally won, in each game they got a T-70, 2 halftracks, a T-34, and in some of the games they got a KV.
The best way to kill the hordes of Russian flamethrower infantry is with vehicles. Stay away from armored cars because the Russians will have Partisans. Partisans will have PanzerSchreks. Shreks will easily kill the 222. For the same reason, the HT is a waste. This leaves tanks. But you will never get enough fuel to T3. So, this only leaves call-ins. Forget Tiger and Ferds as they come in way too late. The only things that come in early are P4 Command Tank at 8, and the Stug-E at 6. So… select a commander that offers one of these options. For me the choice was easy. I used the Mechanized Assault commander to get the Stug-E. Many people on this and other boards give little credit to the Stug-E and in fact many people despise and ridicule it. I happen to like it, so long as I remember that it is NOT a tank. It is an Assault Gun. It costs a lot less than the P4 and a lot less fuel than the P4 and it comes in sooner (6 instead of 8). It is NOT a tank. It was designed to knock down buildings and bunkers, and take out masses of infantry. And almost anyone would have to admit that it performs these tasks admirably. It is well armored for an assault gun and will even take 2-3 hits from a Shrek. I kept my Ass Grens next to my Stug and we went hunting. Every Russian squad with a flamethrower was easily mown down by the Stug… and I kept my Ass Grens behind the Stug. My Stug went to Vet3 pretty quickly. I ran across 4 or 5 Partisan units with a PShrek instead of flamethrowers… easy easy… I halted the Stug and sent the Ass Grens to close contact and they easily mowed the Partisans down in seconds. We came across 2 halftracks and the Stug dispatched them both easily. The Russian T-70 and T-34 were easy as well… just avoid them since they are tanks and they could both hurt my precious Stug much more than my Stug could hurt them. When my Stug went behind cover, the Rus tanks went for my base and were promptly destroyed by the Pak40 waiting for them.
Another reason I chose the Mechanized Assault commander is for the instant call-in of a squad of Assault Grenadiers. Keep in mind that early game Ivan will quickly control the whole map, except for your base. Do not try to hold the points… you can’t. So, early game it is absolutely crucial that you immediately cap as many points as possible. It delays their hordes of FT infantry. Also, It builds you up a much needed cushion of ammo and fuel. You MUST get as much as possible in the first 5 minutes because after that, you will be defending only your base and you will get no ammo/fuel.
Here is how my game went:
Immediate call-in of Assault Grens. Yes, it took all my MP points. I sent them to cap the center point. My Pios I sent immediately to cap the 2 northern points… one of which is Fuel. In fact, I was able to cap 6-8 points before encountering Russian squads. I built up a nice reserve of Fuel and Ammo. Since neither the Pios or AssGrens could take on a flamethrower… I simply ran from those and went to cap a different spot. While all this going on… escalate to battle phases 1-2. When I finally had to retreat my Pios to the base I had over 1000 MPs available. Built T-1 and ordered Mortar, Gren, Gren MG. Built T-2 and got Pak-40. Sent me Grens out hunting… keeping all Russian infantry at long range. Their flamethrowers were pretty much useless at range. I did not kill many, but my Grens vetted up nicely. Whenever a Gren got in trouble, retreat to base. I built a MG bunker at the south side of my base and got another Gren. I kept sending my Grens out to cap whenever possible. It slowed the Russians down, it gave me occasional boosts, and it kept the vetting of my Grens. All this while, my mortar defended around the base and racked up an impressive kill number and vet 3, as did my MG. About this time my base was getting attacked by some 20 Russian squads and a damned Zis. In all of my attempts at this game there was at least one Zis. The Zis is crucial and it must quickly be killed or you will lose. It is a damned fine weapon. In my experience on my win, it was quite simple actually. My 5-man AssGren squad got there fast and with 5 machine guns easily and quickly dispatched the Zis crew. I captured the gun and retreated it to my base. About this time I went to CP-6. Finally… my beloved Stug-E. Immediate call-in. It took my Stug only a few minutes to get rid of all the Russian infantry near my base. Vet-1. At this point I was down to 100 victory points. Here is where my AssGren/Stug team went a hunting. As my remaining Grens healed I sent them out to cap points again. My Stug killed over 200 troops and made the rest pretty easy. By the time I was down to 67 Victory Points I had re-captured all three stars and I never went below 67VP’s. I rushed my captured Zis gun up to cover one star (south) and my Pak rushed up to cover the other star (north). In the center star I had 2 Gren squads just in case the Russians tried running a tank through the center. A PF from my grens would have forced the tank to retreat with engine damage. I actually bought a second Stug-E and kept it to the south end with my Zis. I stopped advancing and merely defended the 3 victory points to get the win.
11 Jul 2014, 19:03 PM

I finished all ToW missions on Gold.
This one's simple.

USE MECHANIZED assault grenadier. problem solved.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★