Login

russian armor

Osttrupen Doctrine strategies anyone? Heres mine:

27 Sep 2013, 05:22 AM

Im loving this doctrine, its my favorite of the new commanders. Since the hotfix the assault grens doctrine kind of sucks in my opinion, havent found a use for that one yet.

Anyway does anyone have any good strategies where they can make good use of what the Osttrupen Doctrine has to offer? Im finding them very useful as a kind of filler for your army. I do the normal German strategies from before the patch but instead of making grens first, i make the building but make 2 Osttrupen squads first, then make a gren or and mg. The ostruppen guys run around and cap everything getting as much early map control as possible, avoiding combat unless there is a building nearby or I need them to stall while my grens or mg's come to support them. It works very well in early game and I usually can keep my opponent screwed. Ill get about 2 of each Grenadiers and MG42's but I wont upgrade the grens with the LMG till after i get to t2. Instead ill use my Osstrupen to make a bunker on the enemies fuel point or my own and upgrade it to an MG nest. Really helps keep that point for a long period of time and puts the soviet in a bad spot. By then he usually gets a flamer or m3 to try to take out the bunker at which time ill get t2 and make the scout car. After this I pretty much just play normally but I always like to have atleast 2 Osttrupen squads up and they just run around ghost capping while I fight the enemy with the rest of my army. They avoid combat and i use them to run in and recrew field weapons as well. Sometimes they will join the fight and ill stick em infront of my normal squads kind of like meat shields. Usually I get my grens LMG'd up and go for P4's. Havent used trenches much.

What i really like about the doctrine is the new changes to the Artillery Officer. This guy gives a passive aura of +15% accuracy to all infantry around him, and he has an ability where for i think around 20-30 seconds all units around him get thier DPS DOUBLED. I usually keep one of these guys going with my LMG grens at all times. The LMG already doubles DPS and then when the officer turns on his DPS aura I've seen my 2 gren squads literally chew through 4 conscript squads so quickly he had to insta retreat. it was amazing. Also when i put my arty officer near my mortars, it might just be luck, but they seem to be more accurate.

Lovin the doctrine, im no pro, im ranked around 300-400 usually with both Germans and Soviets. Anyone else have any good use/strategies for this doc?

edit: have been experimenting with trenches, they seem to work much better than buildings. They wont collapse and also your units can be damn near hit right on top of them with a mortar and it usually will only kill 1 unit or so. They also dont take much splash damage from artillery while inside. I like em since u can spam em for free. Best to use them if you expect to be shelled with arty/mortars.

heres the strategy i winded up staying with, Osstrupen/Sniper/1MG opener. heres the replay me vs a soviet ranked around 200. http://www.coh2.org/replays/8674/new-osstrupen-strategy-showcasing-unorthodox-play./page/1#post_id80528
27 Sep 2013, 05:29 AM

give soviet Officer squad as well,
27 Sep 2013, 05:59 AM

that would be nice. I used to play strictly soviet, then i was tired of screamin they soviet was underpowered so i started playing german mostly.

I just feel the devs hate the soviets. and soviet seems forever doomed to react to whatever the german player does, i never feel like im doing my own strategy that the GERMAN has to counter when i play them. It sux, and germans have so many options
27 Sep 2013, 11:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2013, 05:22 AMRubbers

What i really like about the doctrine is the new changes to the Artillery Officer. This guy gives a passive aura of +15% accuracy to all infantry around him

Are you completely sure about that? I thought they only changed his ability to the +15% accuracy, and not add a passive aura.

Can anybody confirm this?
27 Sep 2013, 11:07 AM

I don't own the DLC but from what I have played against this commander a good tactic is human wave. Which is annoying as that is meant to be the SUs speciality. If you can amass enough osttruppen to just hold all the fuel points and dig in with the trenches then you will be able have tanks hit the field before your opponent has enough recources to get an effective counter except AT guns. When you attack with your tanks you can always charge the osttrupen ahead to clear the AT guns aswell. If they charge in with a clown car you can destroy it in a few seconds with the sheer number of rifles your army has on field.
27 Sep 2013, 12:56 PM

Barton did a Osttruppen -> snipers -> Flamer HTs + Pak + Panzerschrecks earlier today vs. Apfelsaft on his stream and it looked like a lot of fun. He'd constantly convert his fuel into munitions and use those piles of ammo for his flamer HTs, Panzerschrecks, lots of Panzerfausts, eclipsing in a lot of railway artillery, eventually destroying Apfelsaft's base.

Looked like a lot of fun and they are two of the best 1v1 players. I'll probably try that, too... though my sniper micro isn't as great, so maybe I'll try it with a MG+Mortar or something. I guess the most underrated part of this commander is the fuel to ammunitions conversion.
27 Sep 2013, 15:54 PM

Barton did a Osttruppen -> snipers -> Flamer HTs + Pak + Panzerschrecks earlier today vs. Apfelsaft on his stream and it looked like a lot of fun. He'd constantly convert his fuel into munitions and use those piles of ammo for his flamer HTs, Panzerschrecks, lots of Panzerfausts, eclipsing in a lot of railway artillery, eventually destroying Apfelsaft's base.

Looked like a lot of fun and they are two of the best 1v1 players. I'll probably try that, too... though my sniper micro isn't as great, so maybe I'll try it with a MG+Mortar or something. I guess the most underrated part of this commander is the fuel to ammunitions conversion.

That sounds f****** awesome :D
27 Sep 2013, 15:56 PM

Are you completely sure about that? I thought they only changed his ability to the +15% accuracy, and not add a passive aura.

Can anybody confirm this?

no i am not 100% sure, but i do remember reading about the +15% accuracy in the patch notes, and then when i look at the tooltip for his ability, it says damage, and says nothing about accuracy. I would like to know for sure as well.
27 Sep 2013, 16:34 PM

forum lag? triple post somehow..
27 Sep 2013, 16:48 PM

forum lag? triple post somehow..
27 Sep 2013, 22:27 PM

Personally I didn't know how to use properly this unit. Last night I watched a live game in which HelpingHans was using ostruppen. He created 6 squads of them at the beginning and used them to outnumber the enemy. Now, he's a pro and he played them perfectly. I am not such good but I tried it today two times in a pair of 3v3 games.

The osttruppen are really awesome! Their cost is pretty low and you can have 6 of them at the start. Instead of spread them around the map, I use them to capture the enemy oil point and try to hold it as long as possible. Bunkers with MGs are good in order to provide firepower and in the very moment you have an halftrack with flames you are an infantry killing machine.

It sux, and germans have so many options

I would say the same things about the russians. They are, in my humble german user opinion, so flexible that I don't know what to expect. The only sure thing is they are going to spam SUs in late game. Early and mid game are pretty uncertain against russians.
4 Oct 2013, 19:34 PM

Personally I didn't know how to use properly this unit. Last night I watched a live game in which HelpingHans was using ostruppen. He created 6 squads of them at the beginning and used them to outnumber the enemy. Now, he's a pro and he played them perfectly. I am not such good but I tried it today two times in a pair of 3v3 games.

The osttruppen are really awesome! Their cost is pretty low and you can have 6 of them at the start. Instead of spread them around the map, I use them to capture the enemy oil point and try to hold it as long as possible. Bunkers with MGs are good in order to provide firepower and in the very moment you have an halftrack with flames you are an infantry killing machine.

I would say the same things about the russians. They are, in my humble german user opinion, so flexible that I don't know what to expect. The only sure thing is they are going to spam SUs in late game. Early and mid game are pretty uncertain against russians.

I want the women on your avatar, could you hook us up for free wins and DLC?

I've been on the receiving end of Ostruppen spam and it was a very uncomfortable experience which ended in me getting completely thrashed, on reviewing the replay I couldn't think of any counter, shocks did nothing because of the shear volume of fire.

At 120 mp and 10mp reinforcement cost it really is Pretty hopeless for the Ruskies if its played well.

Also you seriously cant get near the sniper mixed in with the ungodly blob, I went for mortars and mg's after a rather hopeless conscript blob which just spent all its time retreating.
I was thinking they need to be static to fight, but there were just to many, He was also swapping out fuel for munis.

I mean 50 fuel for 150 ammo I think it is? the offmap artillery was devastating and the cool down was 30 seconds and then immediately another barrage, not my favourite game that evening, my raging caused noun to close my thread :)

Funny thing was when I watched the replay he had also capped every MP point.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS