Login

russian armor

Ask the Strategist!

PAGES (38)down
19 Oct 2014, 10:24 AM
Donator 11

Most of the time I use to play Rifles with 2 BARs in Close Quarter Combat, that's what the weapon is made for.

But it is stil veryeffective onto mid range, atleast remember it is not a real long range weapon like the Browning 1919.

The Bazooka is kind of useless vs everything higher than a medium tank. I wont say it deals no damage, but most of the time the shoots will bounce of his armor. Instead tech onto T3 (Captain) and get some AT guns. Combined with their abilities they are a serious matter for any heavy
OR make the casual build with Mayor and get a Jackson, but through the point you don't want to play the regular T2 - T4 I would recommend the AT gun

Better save the ammo for commander abilities or the BAR upgrades. There ist a combination of 1919ers and BARs pretty effective
19 Oct 2014, 18:18 PM

Good tip. But when to upgrade? B4 captain or later? And grenades? Generally when I play using BAR and Grenades i go out of ammo very quickly...
27 Oct 2014, 12:16 PM

What units, commanders, upgrades etc are currently considered very weak / useless?

As a new player it is hard to know what i should avoid.
27 Oct 2014, 12:37 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Doctrines with heavy tanks are the most used, because the meta right now is built around the call in tanks. Not everyone uses them, but they are the best.

Could you give the exact faction you'd like to know about ?
27 Oct 2014, 13:15 PM

I was thinking in general, but i play mostly Russians and OKW so far.
2 Nov 2014, 05:22 AM

Literally every game against OKW as US Forces I am defeated in a slow fashion. I got into 1v1 recently, and I have won all my games against Ostheer, no matter the rank or strategy of the enemy player. Sadly, as soon as I load into a game against an OKW, I lose, it takes me a long time to lose, but I always lose in the end. They claim that OKW takes a long time to collect resources, but they have such effective units to take the whole map away from your rifleman army early game. I have tried using M1919s with my Rifles, but the OKW infantry still dominates me (Especially those grenades the OKW infantry have that can wipe a rifleman squad if you aren't careful.) I usually build 4 rifles, skip ambulance, get a Lt., then a Cpt., and lastly a Stuart. By this point I am replacing my lost riflemen and giving them Bazookas or M1919s. It seems like Maj. is out of reach at that point. I lose my Stuart to a puma or a shrek blob. I have tried various tactics, but it always comes down to the same result. I can keep a game going for a long time with my geared up riflemen, but it's merely a waste of time.

Any strategy I could use to be on top of OKW?
2 Nov 2014, 18:27 PM

When i play against a German player (doesn't matter if he plays whermacht or OBW), the other player tend to spam engineers who use SMG's when the game starts and i cant find any way to counter it. I tried to keep a distance but they simply rush in and kill of my conscripts with theirs SMG's. I tried to make a scout car yet these guys kill it off really quickly too. Is there any way at all to beat this early game SMG spam?
16 Nov 2014, 12:54 PM

I'm having terrible time as soviets vs axis line of MGs and mortars behind them with reinforce bunker. Any ideas how to deal with that?
120mm does not work. I need at least 2 to be effective and it's 800 MP which takes time to get and this means low main infatry so any rush with 8min obers, grens LMG can be deadly.

The worst is OST+OKW. 1 MG by each, 2 mortars, 1 leig, area is locked down, Im goig for 2x 120mm and then luchs arrives to wipe everything.
16 Nov 2014, 18:10 PM

Most of the time I use to play Rifles with 2 BARs in Close Quarter Combat, that's what the weapon is made for.

But it is stil veryeffective onto mid range, atleast remember it is not a real long range weapon like the Browning 1919.

The Bazooka is kind of useless vs everything higher than a medium tank. I wont say it deals no damage, but most of the time the shoots will bounce of his armor. Instead tech onto T3 (Captain) and get some AT guns. Combined with their abilities they are a serious matter for any heavy
OR make the casual build with Mayor and get a Jackson, but through the point you don't want to play the regular T2 - T4 I would recommend the AT gun

Better save the ammo for commander abilities or the BAR upgrades. There ist a combination of 1919ers and BARs pretty effective

Do you have any replays or examples of effective 57mm use? They seem pretty much worthless against heavy tanks, I'd rather have the zooks.

Tbf zooks won't work against heavy tanks either of course.
17 Nov 2014, 17:41 PM

I can't agree about Katy because MGs, Mortarts and med bunker can lock down area in the first 5mins. Katy arrives when the game is already over.
19 Nov 2014, 09:21 AM
Patrion 14

I can't agree about Katy because MGs, Mortarts and med bunker can lock down area in the first 5mins. Katy arrives when the game is already over.

SOVIETS:

If you are talking about early game, just cap around him. As soviets, you should have a large infantry advantage, use it to cap the rest of the map.

If you absolutely need the points he is sitting on, then use either a HM-120mm mortar or two, which harcounter this kind of spam (they come quite early) or get shocks and a regular mortar, relying on mortar smoke to push up your troopers. A blind MG is a worthless MG.

Consider teching to T4 for the su85 and the katyusha, both are useful in countering static positions. Even an SU76 can shine when used well vs. fortifications. (SU76 not for the faint of heart)

Finally, consider investing in snipers. Snipers counter team weapon spam like nobody's business, just ensure that you have ample micro and light AT to cover them.

USA:

USA also should have the ability to readily cap all around his defensive position. As an added bonus, your infantry will have the advantage vs. any enemy unit that attempts to stop your capping.

If you absolutely need the points he is sitting on, consider going infantry company for the mortar HT if you have allies that can support your hefty investment. If not, go captain for a pack howitzer, and use the regular barrage/ WP barrage ahead of your pushes to whittle his numbers/ HP.

Upgrade grenades on your riflemen, and use the smoke to push up onto his position using bounding fire (have one unit cover while one pushes up, then vice versa).

Later on, you can get a priest, which will decimate his forces. Finally, you can rely on the M8 scott to crush his defensive position once you tech to T4, just remember that paks have the same range as the scott.
23 Nov 2014, 16:31 PM

Can someone give me the exact data from the HEAT rounds? The stats, how much pen they got additional etc pls?
1 Dec 2014, 21:18 PM
Donator 22

Hi Strategists,
when firing on emplacements like OKW structures, is it better to use AT rounds from Shermans or HEAT rounds?
And if you are in a hurry with an AT gun pointing at an OKW structure, is it worth to switch to AT rounds?
1 Dec 2014, 22:05 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Can someone give me the exact data from the HEAT rounds? The stats, how much pen they got additional etc pls?

They boost both damage and penetration by 30%

Hi Strategists,
when firing on emplacements like OKW structures, is it better to use AT rounds from Shermans or HEAT rounds?
And if you are in a hurry with an AT gun pointing at an OKW structure, is it worth to switch to AT rounds?

(OKW) Buildings have an armor value of 35 while the HE shells from shermans have a penetration value of 25 across all ranges. This means they will penetrate 71% of the time. So I suggest switching over to AP shells if you only want to focus on the truck. If there is infantry nearby I would suggesst just keeping it on HE shells

I assume you mean the AT rounds from the USF atgun. In that case using the AT rounds doesnt help. It only boosts penetration and the atgun already penetrates buildings 100%

29 Dec 2014, 21:17 PM

Hello strategists, here are my questions for you:

(1) Do you use reverse movement hotkey for vehicles at all? On the one hand it is useful for avoiding the vehicle in question starting to turn around instead of moving straight backwards, although on the other hand you lose additional time on locating and pressing the U key. Maybe some of you use the grid-based hotkey system where all keys are concentrated near the left corner of the keyboard and so minimize the loss of time mentioned above?

(2) When playing as the USF I encounter something that looks like a bug but it doesn't seem this happens to others (at least as much as I've inquired): the ambulance truck stops reinforcing/healing units near it. The truck is stationary, and I have resources for reinforcing/healing, but it just doesn't happen. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

(3) From your experience, is it more efficient to use the Rifles as line infantry and Thompson Paratroopers for flanking or Browning Paratroopers as line infantry and BAR Rifles for flanking?

(4) How do you circumvent the lack of smoke abilities for OKW when facing Maxim/50 cal defensive lines?

(5) Is there a way to set up sandbags or other kind of green cover as the Ostheer, other than using doctrinal abilities like trenches? I'm pretty sure there isn't, but still wanted to double-check.

Thanks in advance.
29 Dec 2014, 23:01 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Hello strategists, here are my questions for you:

(1) Do you use reverse movement hotkey for vehicles at all? On the one hand it is useful for avoiding the vehicle in question starting to turn around instead of moving straight backwards, although on the other hand you lose additional time on locating and pressing the U key. Maybe some of you use the grid-based hotkey system where all keys are concentrated near the left corner of the keyboard and so minimize the loss of time mentioned above?

Yes I use grid keys and I highly encourage everyone to do the same, it saves a lot of time and you dont need to learn new shortcuts as you can just look at the position of the ability to know the hotkey

(2) When playing as the USF I encounter something that looks like a bug but it doesn't seem this happens to others (at least as much as I've inquired): the ambulance truck stops reinforcing/healing units near it. The truck is stationary, and I have resources for reinforcing/healing, but it just doesn't happen. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

if the territory the ambulance is in is under attack (decapping/neutral/enemy) the ambulance wotn be able to reinforce

(3) From your experience, is it more efficient to use the Rifles as line infantry and Thompson Paratroopers for flanking or Browning Paratroopers as line infantry and BAR Rifles for flanking?

I much prefer to use paratroopers as front infantry and use rifles to flank. Paras have better defensive bonuses and are 6 man so tehy can fight longer. the browining is also better in most maps except for pure close quarters. For bars I never get them, I think the cost of both fuel and munitions is too prohibitive. I rather get nades lategame

(4) How do you circumvent the lack of smoke abilities for OKW when facing Maxim/50 cal defensive lines?

Do you mean any vehicles in particular? OKw medium vehicles are quite durable and the luchs has extra hp.

(5) Is there a way to set up sandbags or other kind of green cover as the Ostheer, other than using doctrinal abilities like trenches? I'm pretty sure there isn't, but still wanted to double-check.

sadly there isnt

30 Dec 2014, 13:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. Regarding smoke, I meant smoke for covering flanking infantry for attacking Maxim/50 cal positions.
31 Dec 2014, 02:58 AM
Patrion 14

Thanks for the reply. Regarding smoke, I meant smoke for covering flanking infantry for attacking Maxim/50 cal positions.

Obersoldatan and falls have a vet1 smoke grenade that can be used to damage units. Unfortunately, the damage makes it a mostly defensive tool. Obers can usually kill maxims from the front at range, same with the USF M2hb. Other than that, you need to rely on LOS blockers to pull off flanks on mgs, or use elite infantry to pop out of buildings.
PAGES (38)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 28
Peru 13
unknown 7
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L