Login

russian armor

Ask the Strategist!

PAGES (38)down
5 Feb 2014, 16:58 PM

Hi, Strategists,

Is there a reliable way to counter soviet counter attack tactics? It is quite bothersome to see kv-1 showing up all the time. Getting stug with AT gun is an option. However, stug rotation speed is too low and easy target for t-34 synergy with kv-1. German mines are too expensive. Any tips for mining position as mines are so deary to axis faction? However, this is not the real case during WWII. Is this for sake of simulation of the period of no-retreat order issued by OKW? B4 is kind of hard to destroy by anti infantry artillery barrage. Any good option for base or assault behind enemy line? Lets say we are talking about map of minsk pocket. Is 1 mg sufficient for defensive measure or 2 mg will be the best option all the time by assuming there is no bunker build?
8 Feb 2014, 03:08 AM

I am having problems with assgren spam, I can sort of counter them but the armour that follows gets me as I have less map control, I do it with cons and shocks then go tier 2, this is so expensive but I found aggressive tier 1 just left me so immobile and it was even more expensive. I find tier 2 better as I can get AT guns.

any advice?
1 Mar 2014, 04:26 AM

G43 vs mg42 gren upgrade which is more effective? And if g43 is it worth picking jaegar for it?

Lighting War Doctrine = Jaegar Infantry. It is very similiar but I feel Lighting War Doctrine that bit better. I generally use this doctrine when I have 3-4 grens and my opponent has a heavy infantry based army composition such as cons, guards, shocks and t2 play. The support weapons melt to g43 and you don't have to stand still when your LMG fires, which against t2 Soviets might get you pinned.

If you read above you would have got the answer to your question.
6 Mar 2014, 07:45 AM

Hi strategist !!!

I'm a 2v2 Ostheer player. Me and my mate have dificulties at mid-late game when facing Russian infantry Spam.

I mean. 8 Conscript squads with PPSH + 3-4 shock troops (sometimes guards).
By that time we have 2 mg's + 5 grens with LMG + 4 Pgrens (2 of them will be probably upgraded with shreks to counter enemy armor)

My problem comes when, I feel overwhelmed by that hordes, I can only be in a deffensive position trying to deny the attack and capping when the enemy is reinforcing at base.

Ostwind flakpanzer helps me a lot, and the best counter I could find is the 120 munitions strafing run airplane that suppress everything. The problem is that I am very dependant on ammo and my ostwind, and a single AT nade + a suicidal T34 will kill my tank, making me vulnerable to hordes again. For deffending the ostwind, PAK has a trouble because of the infantry hordes and upgrading to shreks makes me more vulnerable against that spam.

I have tried to build more grens + Pgrenadiers than the enemy but here is when the shocktroops come to unbalance that numbers (I'm not blaming that that unit).

I'd like to know how can I face it and if you can post a replay in where I can see how to play against that strategy, that'd be great.

6 Mar 2014, 07:56 AM
Patrion 14

Not a strategist but for AT you could perhaps consider getting a stug? Ofc still vulnerable to at nades, but can't be overrun by shocks. Also moves faster that the pak and really puts in a world of hurt on tanks. Do you both go for tier 3? A panzerwerfer will punish blabbing hard if you can predict movement or catch them out of position. One of you could skip t3 to get there faster if needed. Never underestimate mortars either, Use attack ground to keep firing along their advance.
6 Mar 2014, 10:01 AM

Not a strategist but for AT you could perhaps consider getting a stug? Ofc still vulnerable to at nades, but can't be overrun by shocks. Also moves faster that the pak and really puts in a world of hurt on tanks. Do you both go for tier 3? A panzerwerfer will punish blabbing hard if you can predict movement or catch them out of position. One of you could skip t3 to get there faster if needed. Never underestimate mortars either, Use attack ground to keep firing along their advance.

I mostly go T3 for Flakpanzer + Stug + Stug.
My mate skip T3 for T4 to build Panzerwerfer + Panther

The problem with stugs are the Zis AT guns. The enemy hordes advance and its very hard to kill the AT guns with infantry. Panzerwerfer works great but it's a T4 counter.

If we survive to Late game, Tigers work great against that infantry hordes because they barely damage me. But my problems comes between Mid game untill Late game. At that time where I have fuel only for 1 T3 Tank and my mate hasn't built T4. By that time the russians have that much soldiers and they start capping the hole map.
9 Mar 2014, 18:09 PM

i would say you need more infantry. if you only have 1 mg, 2-3 grens and 2 pgrens per person, thats not very many squads. also, youre upgrading atleast some of your pgrens to schrecks, which makes them unable to fight ppshs or shocks, so i wouldnt even count them

i would probably build more pgrens and not upgrade them. lmg grens can work, but like you said, thats more reliant on munitions and i prefer the mobility of pgrens. one thing i would use munitions for however is a bunker or two. that will easily stop cons and shocks. it will also provide much better protection than an mg if you want to protect your pak or defend a flank. just make sure you have a squad or two nearby to protect the bunker from the zis
10 Mar 2014, 11:24 AM

Thank you Wooof;

In Our last 10 games we were trying to build more infantry on the begining (mostly grens with Lmg upgrade) and they work fine against cons spam. For shocks we reserve an MG42. I don't build more than 2 Pgren squad because they are very expensive to reinforce.

We have to be careful because it's much easier to loose a german squad than a russian squad. Now we can get into late game, and face other problems like ISU-152 that shreds our infantry but, with a couple of panthers + stuka bomb we can deal with it. But I'm getting angry because I loose a full squad from a tank that is in a far distance and I cannot see it.

16 Mar 2014, 12:45 PM

I'm having problems with PIV mortar halftrack combo in 1v1, cant seem to find the mobility to get to the halftrack.

I'm going 5 cons then tier 1 tier 2 or sometimes tier 1 tier 3, depending what I'm seeing out there, T34's are what's mainly losing me games due to its lack of offensive ability, if I do anything but kite it seems to get fausted, so I almost have to avoid contact at anything but maximum range.

Su-85 cant do much offensively either, so im sort of at a loss.

what should I actually be trying to combat mortar halftrack and PIV as early as tier 3, swamping it with cons seems to bleed to much manpower, specially on retreat through the Axis lines after the attempt.

I will say I generally have dominant map control at this point.
3 Apr 2014, 14:54 PM

Dear Strategist,

Haven't had time for a lot of play time. Can you update me on how to best use Panzergrenadiers after the most recent patch? I'm hearing they are no longer good to rush into enemy infantry up close.

Also, what's the best way to use mechanized assault commander? Is the Stug good for anything yet? Thank you.
3 Apr 2014, 15:20 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2014, 12:45 PMGenMe
I'm having problems with PIV mortar halftrack combo in 1v1, cant seem to find the mobility to get to the halftrack.

I'm going 5 cons then tier 1 tier 2 or sometimes tier 1 tier 3, depending what I'm seeing out there, T34's are what's mainly losing me games due to its lack of offensive ability, if I do anything but kite it seems to get fausted, so I almost have to avoid contact at anything but maximum range.

Su-85 cant do much offensively either, so im sort of at a loss.

what should I actually be trying to combat mortar halftrack and PIV as early as tier 3, swamping it with cons seems to bleed to much manpower, specially on retreat through the Axis lines after the attempt.

I will say I generally have dominant map control at this point.

I would suggest trying to use a different build order as the old meta with 4-5 cons no longer works. If your mirco is good try using t1 m3s with penals and guards. This will grant you more mobility and make it easier to hunt down the mortar half track if it is unsupported. Also if your opponent does tend to get mortar half tracks you must remember to never stay in the same place for to long.

For dealing with panzer IVs the t-34 on it's own is not a wise choice as the P4 penetrates more. Try and combine arms with perhaps a zis gun or guard squad to help combat the menace that is the P4.
3 Apr 2014, 15:33 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Dear Strategist,

Haven't had time for a lot of play time. Can you update me on how to best use Panzergrenadiers after the most recent patch? I'm hearing they are no longer good to rush into enemy infantry up close.

Also, what's the best way to use mechanized assault commander? Is the Stug good for anything yet? Thank you.

PG's are now excellent at around a distance of 10 meters rather than being on top of enemy units. Therefore I would advise you to use PG's at short distances so they can be used most effectively.

The Stug E is very weak however it's greatly at sniping enemy unit's whatever their veterancy once it gains it's own stripe of vet. I would use the Stug to snipe infantry at a safe distance and avoid the volley of guard squads rounds if possible as these greatly damage the Stug E.
3 Apr 2014, 15:54 PM

I've been absent from the game for some time, trying to get back into it. Playing Soviets, I used to often go either T1 to T4 or T2 to T3 only. Basically I would only ever build either T1 or T2 but not both.

Are the mortars still a good option against MG42 if I go T2? They seem horribly inconsistent.
3 Apr 2014, 16:09 PM
Donator 11

I've been absent from the game for some time, trying to get back into it. Playing Soviets, I used to often go either T1 to T4 or T2 to T3 only. Basically I would only ever build either T1 or T2 but not both.

Are the mortars still a good option against MG42 if I go T2? They seem horribly inconsistent.

If you do get a Mortar, you can use the precision strike ability which will be effective to take out the MG42.

I personally prefer flanking the MG42 and molotov it, a suppressed conscript or shocktroop can still throw their molotov/grenade as long as they are not pinned. The MG42s are much easier to take out now compared to when COH2 was released that goes for any support unit actually. Also another valid strategy would be to use the shocktroop's smoke grenade to prevent them from getting suppressed/pinned. You can also use the ZIS barrage ability which is very effective as well to take out any stationary units.

Be aware though that the current META is callable units vs. going T3 or T4, meaning you will see a lot more TIGERS / TIGER ACE or KV-8, IS-2 if you are playing Ostheer. I don't see the SU-85s being used often and T-34s are now mostly used to ram a Tiger.

Soviet is a lot harder to play right now, some balance issues needs to be addressed since the new patch. That being said, the patch is steering the game in a better direction, so be patient :)
3 Apr 2014, 17:06 PM

Thanks Hans.

What commander would you say is strongest for Germans right now in 2v2 and how would you recommend using them?

I've been debating Elite and Mech Assault.

PG's are now excellent at around a distance of 10 meters rather than being on top of enemy units. Therefore I would advise you to use PG's at short distances so they can be used most effectively.

The Stug E is very weak however it's greatly at sniping enemy unit's whatever their veterancy once it gains it's own stripe of vet. I would use the Stug to snipe infantry at a safe distance and avoid the volley of guard squads rounds if possible as these greatly damage the Stug E.
4 Apr 2014, 13:30 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Thanks Hans.

What commander would you say is strongest for Germans right now in 2v2 and how would you recommend using them?

I've been debating Elite and Mech Assault.

I would say Elite as currently you have a ton of great abilities that are useful there which will last the entire game. Troop training is great to get a vet 3 mortar early which can help you immensely against support weapons and campy play-styles and Troop training can be used on your allies troops as well so there's that as well.
21 Apr 2014, 07:49 AM

What commander would you say is strongest for Germans right now in 2v2 and how would you recommend using them
21 Apr 2014, 13:32 PM

Are units in cover given extra protection against artillery? For example, will an infantry squad in green cover last longer against mortar fire?

Also, when ordering mortars or similar units to fire on enemy units that have been revealed briefly in the fog of war, will your unit continue to fire on the enemy unit after it disappears or simply stop? For example, ordering your mortar to fire on an enemy mortar unit that was briefly revealed and will disappear in the fog shortly.
21 Apr 2014, 13:32 PM

Are units in cover given extra protection against artillery? For example, will an infantry squad in green cover last longer against mortar fire?

Also, when ordering mortars or similar units to fire on enemy units that have been revealed briefly in the fog of war, will your unit continue to fire on the enemy unit after it disappears or simply stop? For example, ordering your mortar to fire on an enemy mortar unit that was briefly revealed and will disappear in the fog shortly.
22 Apr 2014, 16:41 PM

Im fairly sure that after the mortar fires off one or two shots it will stop firing as it has lost its target. Think if you click attack on a unit with a tank, and their units then escapes into FoW, the tank will not follow.

Cover still works against indirect fire... sort of. Its still directional, so will protect against hits on the other side of cover. However what is more devastating is the fact that units will bunch up in cover, and if the hit lands in or behind the cover, there is no cover, so its going to hurt.. the whole squad.

So generally, indirect fire is a good counter to covered troops.
PAGES (38)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 46
Germany 26
Germany 45
Israel 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L