Login

russian armor

Radeon drivers crash

12 Jul 2013, 17:46 PM

First of all I apologize if this has been officially discussed somewhere on here, but for what it's worth, I like to reinforce the exposure of the following problem:

My friend owns as Radeon HD3870, he is able to play the game on medium settings without lag, but even when turning all settings to low the following always happens:

Start a skirmish or multilayer map, game crashes within a minute or two of game play..

Then, the solution, the Radeon beta driver 13.4 for HD 2,3 and 4 series experiencing this crash problem in COH2, well, now his able to play a skirmish map for about 7 to 10 minutes before it crashes EVERY TIME. Funny note: winter snow maps works perfectly fine for him no problem. Just summer maps that always crash.

Anyone finding a solution to this problem somehow please inform, as it would seem that AMD is now happy with the beta supposedly solving the problem. Does the newest COH2 update maybe fix this? As I have not yet spoken to him since after the update I just noticed some Nvidia driver fixes on the patch notes but nothing pointing directly to Radeon related problems. Any help would be appreciated as we really enjoyed playing COH1 together and now since this happened he just decided to hell with COH2 (at least until it got fixed.)

Things we tried so far without success:

Declocking the card a bit (reason for this is my own card (5870) pretty much use to crash on every game until I declocked it just a slight bit and everything worked fine ever since)
Overclocking a bit
Overclocking a lot
Making sure DirectX is up to date
Tried previous and current beta drivers for card
Using game booster to significantly free up resources
Running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 7 (he has Windows 8 installed)
Played around with different graphics settings in game as well as turning v sync on and off.

So the conclusion is definitively that this is not a performance issue but a somehow incompatible driver issue (which is obvious I know) - but never hurts to try different things to maybe solve it.
6 Sep 2013, 23:00 PM

Sorry for necroing but any news on this one? It's still happening for a friend of mine. Can't play any team games on summer maps!

Apparently Steam also starts redownloading some coh2 related files when the crash occurs.

Would be nice to hear back from Relic. As I understand there has been no official reply regarding this issue.
16 Sep 2013, 16:41 PM

In our troubleshooting and searching forums, there is no further replies to these problems since Relic backs up that the beta driver fixes the issue, end of story.

My friend got hold of a second hand Radeon 4750 or something like that for only (in US terms, 10 dollars), and the problem is now gone. The crashing issue is with the 2, 3 and 4 series Radeon cards, however with his 4 series card the game now works fine, which leads me to believe something the game needs (maybe direct X version) is just not supported with the 3 series, otherwise I don't know. - you can try forcing the game to run on direct X 10 from within steam and see if that helps, that is something we have not tried. (assuming the game runs on direct X 11 and nothing else)

So from my side I am sorry to say (or at least think), that this problem will likely never be addressed or looked further in to (as it is a big problem if the game cannot be played but it's advertised that it should be playable on such and such a configuration yet nothing has been done about it thus far). Best your friend can do is get a cheap 4 series or 5 series card, assuming your friend also runs on a 3 series at least? Or go Nvidia I guess.

And the updating after crashing is annoying when it happens over and over as in your friends case, I think this is just a "check, make sure" small download to ensure all files are fine.
25 Jun 2014, 00:20 AM

I have the same problem with my Radeon HD 4850. It seems to be inconsistent though. I think I'll pay attention to the summer-winter thing, but I have definitely gotten through a match on a summer map.

The support response I get automatically after the crash tells me to update my drivers. As far as I know the drivers are updated.

I'll try fooling around with it some more, but I do remember having a different issue with Day Z (when it was still an Arma 2 mod I have no clue what it is now, because I don't follow it). Whenever I had everything on the lowest setting, my frame rate was very low. When I bumped it up around medium, things were dandy and the game ran just fine. I guess all that to say that I think these issues are weirder than they should be.

If anyone else has input on this, it would be much appreciated.
25 Jun 2014, 01:04 AM

Unfortuantly, no the only solution is getting a new video card. For some reason the 4xxx cards crash on coh2.
27 Jun 2014, 16:13 PM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment