Login

russian armor

Help with USF play

29 Nov 2015, 17:34 PM

I don't play very often (once a week usually), but would like to get to a level where I can play 1v1 enjoyably. However, recently I've been getting quite a beating as USF - the faction I play normally as. So I would appreciate feedback on the 3 most important things to improve - I know I am relatively bad, so there is many things to improve, but I am not sure I am focusing on the most important ones.

For me, those are:

1) Preserving vehicles - I always tend to use M20 relatively fast (witness the M20 in this), I am trying to resist the temptation to think I got to have the upper hand and drive it into the enemy squad so I maximize DPS (and then get destroyed accordingly)

2) Unit selection - 2nd pack howitzer was useless, I can just about micro 1 (and both got wiped out by the panzerwerfer. My main problem is that as soon as I have many units on the field, microing them starts taking up so much of my time that I don't really spend much time thinking what would be the best next unit and just pick something quickly.

3) Throwing squads at the enemy 1 at a time instead of waiting and synchronizing multiple squad attacks.

Thanks for any feedback
29 Nov 2015, 18:24 PM
Donator 11

I dont have time to watch replay right now but I can see you played only 30 games. That means you should not be ashamed of your rank, its normal when you start. So most important thing is just playing the game, you will get better micro and you will know which engagements can be won by that.

It is also good that you made this thread as there is one thing you should do asap when you start playing rts game - learning hotkeys. As you are probably not a veteran of any other rts game I would recommend using grid keys - its more accessible during game and more intuitive if you use mouse right now.

On the level you play it is basically all you need to get higher, almost every unit composition that will have both AI and AT in it will work fine when your micro improves.

Some other general rules:
- dont loose squads, its better to retreat and give enemy some territory than loose your squad. The amount of lost squads and vehicles is what decides most matches outside top of the ladder.
- mines win games
- attack enemys cutoffs
- defend yours
- choose your commander and tech basing on what your opponent does, not before the game. Deciding your whole strategy before game can be good for testing it but not for winning a game.
- experiment with different builds and commanders, remember that the build you come up with may be less optimal but is by far more fun than meta (what most players do).
29 Nov 2015, 21:28 PM

Thanks, I know basic hotkeys (retreat, reinforce, F1-F5), but will try to learn more.

The thing for me is I don't have that much time to spare for the game - usually play like 3 hours once a week - so I know I won't rise that much high up in the ranks. I am basically just looking to get rid of silly mistakes, because right now it feels like I am much more reacting to the opponents play than driving the game. I.e. things like when he drives at me with a PIV/Panther, my AT gun is miles way to be of any use, obviously too late by the time it gets on the spot. When I push through with my tank, the opponents AT gun seems to be in just the right spot... It's things like these that I think lose me the game right now...
30 Nov 2015, 02:15 AM

Hi, I am not the greatest player but I think I have a good grasp on the game and its mechanics.

Some Things to note:
1. I tend to like putting a squad in cover while capturing a position, it can make a difference between being suppressed and capturing a point or being pinned and forced to retreat. This can be a problem if you like to chain capture commands but your micro will improve slowly over time.

2. Try to not only look at one thing at a time. A lot of newer players tend to only watch one engagement and forget about microing their other units and or building units which can sometimes result in some resource float. It is important to watch engagements since unit preservation is key in CoH 2, but always try to be doing something.

3. The M20 is a good shock unit but I would not recommend it against numerous Ostruppen. Ostruppen are very spammible and don't bleed much man power. I think and M15AA Halftrack would a been more effective at kiting the infantry. Just note the M15 is most effective when it is reversed, a little more micro intensive but can certainly be more effective than the M20. Your opponent this match went with a really heavy T0 + Ostruppen and didn't get his T2 until about 7 minutes. The only situation in which you should get up close for DPS with the M20 is when you know a squad doesn't have access to a Panzerfaust to damage your engine. You got a little too aggressive with your M20 in this match.

4. I think you may have teched Grenades a little too early, I usually don't tech nades until after going Captain Tier and getting out a Stuart. I can understand that he had two MG42's, but I think getting grenades that early slowed your teching a little too much. That loss of the LT really hurt and you caught a bad break by having it drop a BAR. If you are struggling with MG's, going for a Pack Howitzer and using some Riflemen Flares can really help.

5. You didn't get any flamethrowers once you hit 3 CP's, Flamers are crazy good in their current state and basically negate cover. Don't forget to use the Captain's supervise ability to speed up the production of your units, even top tier players forget about this ability.

6. If you find yourself floating munitions and you don't know what to spend it on, Weapons Racks are always a good option. I tend to tech for BAR's around the same time as grenades before I make the trek to Armor from Major Tier.

7. I always make sure to get a minesweeper while building my first vehicle, in this case the M20. This also could have saved the Rifle squad you lost to S-Mines in the north. Your opponent didn't use any Teller Mines except for the ones later in the game but good players will. Don't forget to lay one or two M20 Mines just in case, they can come in handy later.

8. You played a little too passive at certain points in the match, which allowed him to bunker down and set up shop. It also delayed your tech and put you at a disadvantage since USF is an aggressive faction. Some fuel cache's could have really helped this game when you were floating MP but had little fuel income. You also lost a 50 cal and Rifle Squad to the Panzerwerfer's first barrage but managed to dodge the second and third barrages nicely. Maybe should have retreated a little earlier with the rifle on the second barrage. You were a bit slow at dodge the Railway Artillery but don't worry, that comes with time. :)

9. I tend to only use White Phosphorus on Support weapons(mortar,pak's,MG's) and other stationary positions like a forward retreat point. You could have also used your munitions on some of the major's abilities like the arty barrage and recon pass.

10. Don't be afraid to give your RE's BAR's since they scale moderately well into the late game, especially against Ostruppen. Also, squad wipes are really important in this game, try and focus down weak retreating squads.

11. I wouldn't build a 50-Cal if your opponent has a Panzerwerfer, just too difficult to consistently dodge and recrewing the Pack Howitzer was also a mistake. If you need some indirect fire, the M8A1 is better in the late game if you are up against a Panzerwerfer or even an OKW Stuka.

12. Smoke is really important for USF tanks since they can't take as much punishment as their Soviet and British counterparts. Use smoke to get away or block vision during an assault. You also lost your Stuart to a pak gun, just make sure to hotkey your most important units.

13. Always put your AT-Guns on Prioritize Vehicles so they don't shoot at infantry and give away their position and so they are not reloading when armor shows up. They rarely snipe infantry models unless you get some lucky RNG.

14. You built a second Easy Eight when he had two panthers, I personally think a Jackson would be a better fit in this situation. There were also some infantry engagements where you walked up a little too close to the enemy, make sure you use the halt or attack move commands in engagements.

Otherwise, I think you played pretty well, you were far better than your opponent in infantry engagements but the Panzerwerfer was certainly the equalizer. Don't be afraid to attack your opponent, aggression is USF's strong suit. For only having 30 games played, you have caught on pretty quickly when it comes to retreating and unit preservation. Don't feel bad about losing, we all started somewhere. If you don't have much time to play, try and find other ways to learn the game. I personally like watching casters like Imperial Dane, GeneralsGentlemen, and Tightrope. GGWP! :clap::thumbsup:

1 Dec 2015, 00:07 AM

Thanks very much Clarity, that's a lot of really useful tips - will try to put them in use.

As you point out multi-tasking production of the right units while I am fighting is the most difficult for me, but I guess this will only come better with practice. The lack of flamers & floating of muni is another manifestation of that. Even in the games I win, I find that I have lots of munition to spare which could have been better used in grenades/weapon upgrades...

Anyways, will be playing some next weekend so will improve it a lot hopefuly, thanks again!
2 Dec 2015, 03:39 AM

Yeah, no problem. Don't worry about losing, my 5th 1v1 I played in CoH2 was against Luvnest. It didn't end well but I learned a lot about the game. Feel free to add me on Steam if you would like more help. My Steam name is Resistance Prime at the moment.
2 Dec 2015, 07:19 AM

Thanks, will do!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 31
Germany 1
Germany 708
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W