Login

russian armor

Elite Troops Doctrine: Replacing Tiger Ace with King Tiger

Replacing the Tiger Ace with a King Tiger call in for regular cost and without resource penalty?
Option Distribution Votes
43%
57%
Total votes: 37
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
27 Nov 2015, 17:33 PM

Hey folks,

as you can read above this would be my suggestion for the remodelled Elite Troops Doctrine. The reason is Relic wants to make this title e-sport ready which is quite a huge step and I enjoy it a lot.
The first right move for this doctrine was to change the Elite Troops Training with the Storm Troopers, good work!
Because this breaks the idea of vetting units up and getting a bonus for keeping your units alive.

The idea of replacing the Tiger Ace with the King Tiger would also fit very well into this approach. The Tiger Ace is very hard to balance. It comes very late is an already vetted Tiger with slightly more hp and more accelaration (as far as I know) and a better coaxial mg.
But the worst thing of all is it costs NO FUEL and gives a crippling penalty!
This is nonsense in my oppinion becaus it breaks the whole idea of the game. You should be focussed on holding the fuel points to get such a huge killing machine out and you should NOT be punished for waiting so long and hording such an amount of resources. The investment for such a unit should be a strategic decision.

In my oppinion it would fit the whole doctrine and the whole game better if you were able to call in a King Tiger with thies Doctrine for the normal price 720 MP and 260 fuel (not exactly sure about the price, I dont go for King Tiger with current OKW, playing only 1v1).

This call in could come for lets say 15 CP? But this is debatable!

This King Tiger should come with vet0 as every other unit and as an Ostheer unit it should just get 3 levels of vet (so it would be slightly worse than the OKW King Tiger, maybe with other vet levels as the OK one).

This would be my suggestion, what do you guys think of it?

PS: Besides this would finally resolve the problem with the ugly Tiger Ace skin ;-)
27 Nov 2015, 17:59 PM

Interesting idea. You're right that the Tiger Ace is a tricky unit to balance.

I don't find the KT so strong, especially vs kited sniper tanks like US TD and Firefly. You're suggesting giving a weaker version that comes only at 15CP.

While the KT is a very powerful unit it has big drawbacks. The huge cost in time and resources is hard to recoup with a KT, considering that there are counters already on the field when it arrives and it can be played around. Plus you have to dedicate a fair amount of your army to support it leaving you stuck around your lump of resources. You've also probably lost some map control while you were building up 720 MP and 260 fuel, which could have been spent on other units.

As such I think your proposal to remove a useful unit and replace it with a more expensive, less useful one would create another rarely used commander.

This isn't to say Elite Troops doesn't need changing. Just that this change seems inappropriate.

inb4 inexplicable "no, copying units between factions is evil and must neva eva happen"
27 Nov 2015, 18:39 PM

KT requires OKW to make every tech structure, and that's what's keeping it "balanced". This would ignore the fuel that OKW needs to spend and let you call in the KT while you sit on snipers and paks. No.
27 Nov 2015, 19:32 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I've offered to do it in one of the previous topics about Elite Troops Doctrine (http://www.coh2.org/topic/45108/elite-troops-poll), but nobody find it as good idea. By the way, i agree with you. In a vCoH this replace make Terror Doctrine more unique, but it was limeted as Tiger Ace in CoH 2 (Only 1 for the Battle)
27 Nov 2015, 20:12 PM
27 Nov 2015, 23:58 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

I think if relic is already making balance mods, why not give this idea a go, on draft it might look odd, but testing the real thing would make it more obvious.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 35
Germany 14
Korea, Republic Of 2
Germany 41

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %