Login

russian armor

How to counter sturmtiger

27 Nov 2015, 11:26 AM
Patrion 14

:wave:

I don't understand the point of the Sturmtiger. Its just designed to squad wipe / one shot units... What is the fun of that.

Played on La Gleize as brits vs OKW. He got a sturmtiger on the field. Killed two squads and a Cromwell. After that I could chase it down 5 minutes later with the AEC scout car.

After this game went on pretty even again. But after his P4 (I got a Comet to counter it) he made another Sturmtiger... It fired one shot on the comet and the P4 only need one more shot.

How do you counter a Sturmtiger? It counters infantry and tanks. I know its a skillshot, but you can miss by a mile and still kill a full squad (happened a few times).

Should you call in a plane to keep it off the field so it can't reload? I have no idea how to counter that squad wipe machine.
27 Nov 2015, 11:39 AM

firefly + tulips

and dont say that the sturmtiger can come up and kill the firefly
27 Nov 2015, 11:47 AM

It's not that hard, but mostly of the time it's annoying that you can't see the unit because of sight blockers. Indeed Firefly and Jacksons are the right units to kill it, but you've to keep them covered.
27 Nov 2015, 11:50 AM
Patrion 15

Word of warning that you may not get many sympathetic replies - most people see the sturmtiger as a troll unit which is rare to see once - let alone twice in one match.

It is a bit of a problem the larger the game. The main problem is that it can cause a mass wipe from the FoW. Most units that can do this have been reworked, but on the sturmtiger it's still OK.

By the time the sturmtiger comes out you should have a large force. The resources he's invested into the stiger add up to a couple of medium tanks. Don't let fatigue set in and keep your forces split. Have a mobile, low value screening unit ahead of you (or maybe a cloaked sniper) to remove the surprise it needs to work - avoid situations where there are many sight blockers.

Basically avoid the instinct to go for concentrated firepower when seeing it - thats what it counters. You said it yourself the AEC worked, so instead of 1 comet why not a Cromwell and an AEC working together? Or better yet a long range TD and a scout

Keep spread out, use the time and resources he's sunk into it to keep pressure on, always have good scouting. This will help through the whole game against all threats. Or just get a churchill.

27 Nov 2015, 11:59 AM

Spamming flares, recon planes, using valentine.

Anything that provides you early warning and allows you to act before its too late.

You don't have any of this? Tough luck and eat rocket to the face which was shot from outside of LOS and behind of shot blocker.

@Smaug
I doubt he asked on how to destroy it, because single T34 can do it, avoiding ninja rocket to the face/squad/tank is where countering the unit is, its extremely easy vs AVRE because of its low range, but nearly impossible for ST due to its range.
27 Nov 2015, 12:20 PM
Patrion 14

Thanks for the tips guys :) Will think of this next time I face this thing!

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Nov 2015, 11:59 AMKatitof

@Smaug
I doubt he asked on how to destroy it, because single T34 can do it, ...

Isn't countering and destroying pretty much the same? :huh:
27 Nov 2015, 12:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Nov 2015, 12:20 PMStafkeh

Isn't countering and destroying pretty much the same? :huh:

Countering is pretty much denying opponents ability to effectively use the unit, if it can kill it, its even better.

HMGs don't really kill infantry left and right and yet counter it for example.
27 Nov 2015, 12:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Nov 2015, 11:26 AMStafkeh
:wave:

I don't understand the point of the Sturmtiger. Its just designed to squad wipe / one shot units... What is the fun of that.

Played on La Gleize as brits vs OKW. He got a sturmtiger on the field. Killed two squads and a Cromwell. After that I could chase it down 5 minutes later with the AEC scout car.

After this game went on pretty even again. But after his P4 (I got a Comet to counter it) he made another Sturmtiger... It fired one shot on the comet and the P4 only need one more shot.

How do you counter a Sturmtiger? It counters infantry and tanks. I know its a skillshot, but you can miss by a mile and still kill a full squad (happened a few times).

Should you call in a plane to keep it off the field so it can't reload? I have no idea how to counter that squad wipe machine.

when he has the Sturm Tiger, Have u notice any other tank than that?..cause when i make Sturmtiger (which is my mistake) i only have enough fuel for 1 tank, either Panther or Panzer or Sturmtiger, n i pick Sturmtiger,(dont know y)

After i fire a Shot i retreat at FHQ to reload, wanna know what happen?..
A horde of Tank Rushing toward that FHQ which was cover by 2 reken n 2 Volk with Shrek which i dont like to use Volk with Shrek,

he shot my Sturm tiger after that He swarm with infantry follow up by WP Barrage making force to retreat at HQ, n steal my Sturm Tiger.

After the patch, i think OKW would have more than just a Sturmtiger, 100% income, soo use the Weakness OKW has as much as u can, i fear next patch OKW might be the next USF
27 Nov 2015, 12:32 PM

Owh guys speaking about Sturmtiger do u guys notice there an Ability of the Sturmtiger, the Grenade right?..what does it do?..cause i test it, its like only kill 2 modal when clump up, n it need to be up close where Sturmtiger should be avoiding,

so how usefull is the ability n how to use it?

EDIT : at 1st i thought it was a smoke nade, :D
27 Nov 2015, 12:34 PM

I found a mine with a demo ontop to be very good for countering the damned thing. I simply put this combination at my oponent's favorite shot blocker sturmtiger spot. Will cripple the sturmtiger and allow you to move in quickly.
27 Nov 2015, 12:43 PM

Blob tanks and rush forward. :foreveralone:

27 Nov 2015, 12:45 PM

How to Counter Sturmtiger :DDDDDDD

Every fast and mobile AT is a counter if its moving . btw u didnt have to kill it. just move all the time with ur AT, so Sturmtiger is unable to shoot and is scared. Scared Sturmtiger is useless :/
27 Nov 2015, 12:52 PM

Guys i just found out the usefullness of Upgrading ur Tank to Panzer commander..u can try it,

Have u notice there a stupid Arty right?..it might not be that useless at all,

Here's how u do, After u Fire a Shot Immidiately Press the Abilty (120muni)

the tank that Have the Panzer Commander will fire another Round Immidiately, it doesn't work on Atk ground,

but it still consider useless as it cost 120 muni to fire another round n only fire 3 barrage Arty, will be evade by the enemy, but still u can use it to insta fire a new round incase of emergency

:clap:
27 Nov 2015, 12:52 PM
Donator 22

Question: Is there a percent chance, if you attack the sturmtiger during the reload time, that hes gets abandoned?
27 Nov 2015, 12:55 PM

Question: Is there a percent chance, if you attack the sturmtiger during the reload time, that hes gets abandoned?

no its a confirm abandon when u shot him on reload
27 Nov 2015, 12:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Nov 2015, 11:59 AMKatitof
Tough luck and eat rocket to the face which was shot from outside of LOS and behind of shot blocker.
Well, if it didn´t have the ability to fire from outside of LOS and behind shotblockers it would be absolutely useless again (see Sturmtiger before the buffs).
27 Nov 2015, 13:01 PM

sturmtiger relies heavily on its shot just miss the shot when it fires and rush it when its reloading its very vunerable then...its a very high risk high reward unit......avre on other hand is a tough cookie to break but its shot are dodged much easier and not that harming to vehicles
27 Nov 2015, 13:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Nov 2015, 12:56 PMButcher
Well, if it didn´t have the ability to fire from outside of LOS and behind shotblockers it would be absolutely useless again (see Sturmtiger before the buffs).

And with it its absolutely overpowered.

But that is the effect of relic megalomania with introducing only bigger and bigger tanks when there is a whole plethora of medium and light armor to choose from.

Tousands of halftrucks and their variants? Why? Lets introduce this one unit that only 14 ever existed.
27 Nov 2015, 14:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

You should put pressure after every shot, as he mostly won't have any tank on the field.
27 Nov 2015, 14:58 PM

You should put pressure after every shot, as he mostly won't have any tank on the field.

That will apply only for a week or two more most likely.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS