Login

russian armor

Anti-garrison and counter-indirect on urban maps

27 Nov 2015, 10:42 AM

Just got through one of those shit games where it's a slow grinding loss you see coming 30 minutes away but can't prevent.

Was playing that 2v2-3v3 map that is full of tight streets that always have mines and axis players lock down with bunkers / mgs / etc. The problem is that I can't work out what I'm supposed to do to counter large scale indirect as UKF. Mortar pits are useless because they get countered so hard by the very thing they are supposed to counter. Arty flares are useless, the base 25 pounders are hopeless even against static structures. Sexton is useless, it comes fairly late and is extremely weak.

Second question, how do I counter the enemies grabbing every building in the universe? Are grenades actually my only option until a fukken churchil croc? The enemies get their endless streams of mortars and sometimes flamer pios so even when I get to the critical buildings first, it's only a temporary victory.

I have a parter going USF, and obviously on that map he should go rifle doc for flamers, but even then the indirect murders us half the time. Obviously some UKF and USF players are doing really well, what is the damn meta other than "lol just go rifle every game"?!
27 Nov 2015, 17:40 PM

Use the Base howies for anti garrison, either flank with a couple squads to get nade off, or use the sniper flare, or use the call in from royal arty, at 100 muni it is a steal tbh.

Brits might not be able to clear a building like flamer engies can, but their arty is cheaper, more readily available and comes earlier than other factions. It also flattens buildings, which in a way is better than just clearing it.

Or early on, if u can cover a wasp with an anti tank gun, that could work.
28 Nov 2015, 02:16 AM

Use the Base howies for anti garrison, either flank with a couple squads to get nade off, or use the sniper flare, or use the call in from royal arty, at 100 muni it is a steal tbh.

Brits might not be able to clear a building like flamer engies can, but their arty is cheaper, more readily available and comes earlier than other factions. It also flattens buildings, which in a way is better than just clearing it.

Or early on, if u can cover a wasp with an anti tank gun, that could work.

I'm by no means a top tier player but I'm playing fairly solid opponents and they are usually quite organized (as a team) locking down buildings with MGs and such. It's hard to get close enough to fire a flare or grenade. You can do it, but it's a serious effort and usually they can counterattack.

Really feels like Brits are just awful on these maps.
28 Nov 2015, 10:43 AM

I agree it can be tricky to get a grenade off, which is why you need to flank from multiple directions with the last squad closing to throw it, kinda like rifles would do in COH1.

Or if there is a very critical building of the enemys, you could consider rushing a squad with the flare as your 1st muni purchase, you can get it in the first few mins, this way you can probably destroy the building before it even becomes an issue.

Or if all thats too tricky, just use Royal Arty Doc, dont rely on Sextons, just get some muni caches and spam the 100 muni call in, just use it on all his buildings, bunkers and any howies. It will do a good job making way for your tanks. Then when you do attack, use it on clumps of paks.

Alternate strat, might not be great, but you could use the Forward Observation Point from Tactical Support Regiment, spam muni caches and use it to call in arty and air support, at least you will force the enemy to use their indirect fire on your buildings rather than troops, and you can just keep upgrading new ambient buildings.

Im not sure Rifle Co. is a good idea, because it lacks any solid arty or off map to back you up.
29 Nov 2015, 18:00 PM

Have your buddy go Recon Support Company, I&R Pathfinders wreck buildings.
29 Nov 2015, 19:28 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Since people have already mentioned how to clear garrisons, I will give you another peice of advice: don't let them get those buildings or have an MG in the building range. Brits have a huge damage output on their MGs. As long as you have one of those close by, you will win any garrison fights.
29 Nov 2015, 22:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Nov 2015, 19:28 PMwouren
Since people have already mentioned how to clear garrisons, I will give you another peice of advice: don't let them get those buildings or have an MG in the building range. Brits have a huge damage output on their MGs. As long as you have one of those close by, you will win any garrison fights.

Do you have a specific build order? The particular map we got wrecked on in this case was Ettelbruck.
29 Nov 2015, 23:03 PM

Today I had a successful game as Brits on Ettelbrueck by expecting them to go heavy on the indirect. I went 3 IS and just kept blocking the 2 buildings in front of the mid vp, the ones closer to your base. and the building next to the northern vp that looks over the control point. The trick is to never get them those buildings in the first place. your IS will win pretty much any fight as long as they are in there.

Then I went for Sappers and build a mortar pit, sniper into another mortar pit. The mortar pits work fine if you let them auto fire or right attack on an enemy squad. Don't barrage. It's horribly inaccurate. Go AVRE doc for the self repair on the pits when they get focused and the anti garrison flames if you're desperate for it.

I eventually lost them but they paid off before they went down. Your teammate should keep up the pressure on the south side and help mid if needed. You can push a bit once you fought a wave off. The 3 building block between their base and mid vp is a beautiful spot for some IS killerino if you get in.

Just play safe. Heal your inf sections when they took some damage defending. you can jump out, activate the heal and jump back in. It will continue healing. You'll need an at gun after the first mortar pit. mine your flanks.

First tank should be one of your heavies. either comet for the long range snipe against tanks and inf or churchill to be the vanguard for your teammates squishies. 2nd should be avre.

the avre will be your killer against their inf and when you have the momentum try to move up and push them back. After that just get whatever you fancy or need. Keep a look on the vps and you will have a good chance of winning with a few good plays.
Hope that helped a bit :)
29 Nov 2015, 23:05 PM

Sure. For ettelbruck station, go 2 MGs (which you will rush to buildings) one additional infantry section, heal upgrades, fast tech for 2 engineers and either a sniper or a mortar pit. Get as many AT guns as you think you need. Mine the roads. Go anvil tactics. After that, you need to think about doctrines. All doctrines have some late game antigarrison tool. Build anvil tactics. If you are feeling cocky, use an AT emplacement to cover the advance of vehicles through the train tracks (but this is risky and weird). Tank building is the normal Brit stuff. Do not get brens. Save up for mines and late game call-ins and rely on your ally's infantry presence. Read the RTN team strategy guide for advice on playing Americans with Brits
29 Nov 2015, 23:06 PM

Also use commandos to destroy indirect fire weapons.
29 Nov 2015, 23:11 PM

Bren carrier with the flamer upgrade.. protect it with at gun > win game. gets some mines with ammo after that. Get commandos + croc + OP strafes. Melt every thing. +2 Firefly's that completely makes all Axis armor useless. Ez game! Vanguard is all you need.

3 IS's
T2 > Sapper + AT gun
BC + wasp upgrade (90ammo)
Commandos + Croc
WIN GAME
29 Nov 2015, 23:45 PM

Bren carrier with the flamer upgrade.. protect it with at gun > win game. gets some mines with ammo after that. Get commandos + croc + OP strafes. Melt every thing. +2 Firefly's that completely makes all Axis armor useless. Ez game! Vanguard is all you need.

3 IS's
T2 > Sapper + AT gun
Commandos + Croc
WIN GAME

That sounds easy, every game is a win for you then?
2 Dec 2015, 17:29 PM

Ettelbruck has great spots on both sides of the map to put down a mortar pit.
2 Dec 2015, 18:48 PM

3 IS's
T2 > Sapper + AT gun
Commandos + Croc
WIN GAME

Bro that is too late for a Bren carrier. Counter is already on the field.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 45
unknown 15
unknown 14
Germany 21

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %