Login

russian armor

I really like Royal Arty 1v1

26 Nov 2015, 11:03 AM

Everyone hates on this doctrine, so for a while Ive ignored it, yet it keeps niggling in the back of my head.. and Ive been playing with it recently vs Ost, and I love it.

Ok so maybe the sexton isnt great? Dont build it then.

The recon arty can certainly be useful, especially for spotting for arty.

The main ability of this commander is the co-ordinated barrage, for 100 muni. Now I know an upgraded IS can drop the flare for this (for cheaper), but that requires them being in position, and bloody close too. And you lose healing on that squad. The sniper can also do it, a bit further a away (and at vet 1), but again that requires positioning, keeping sniper alive and at vet 1.

Having the arty drop wherever you want it for 100 muni, is really good. Brits can struggle vs static positions, and the combined arms nature of Brits and Ost, often leads to a big stand off which arty can really smash.

I also like strats that are not very meta, because people dont expect a crap load of arty raining on their head :D At 100 muni, its quite spammable.

I rarely get the Valentine, if I did, it would only be for the scanning ability, so would depend on a super defensive opponent.

The overwatch arty, is good, but situational, depends if you have a whole side of the map where enemy is pushing. But you do need sight for shells to land.. but its quite expensive, so I dont use it much.

Never automatically go royal arty, I keep my options open, my main other go to vs Ost is Royal Engineers, having a command bren is good, the repairs come in handy in different situations and given the right map, the AVRE can be a complete game changer, especially if the enemy gifts me a PAK so its easy to have plenty of AT.

But as soon as the enemy starts digging in MGs, building pak43s, or Howies, or spamming support weapons, having the arty on hand is godly.
10 Dec 2015, 02:50 AM

I've been using it more.

It's okay. I question the utility of spending 60 muni for flares when I can get a command vehicle in other doctrines and just get a free recon plane.

I think if the valentine was a bit deadlier and came around the same time as a T70/stuart/luchs it'd be a solid doctrine. Sexton is okay, could be better but I can live with it in its current form. The problem is the doctrine has a terrible early/mid game compared to other options available.

10 Dec 2015, 03:06 AM
Donator 11

Buff Sexton, but don't make it the same as the Priest. Give it an overwatch ability that keeps firing at a given radius continuously but with weak rounds.
24 Dec 2015, 20:29 PM

I find the Val a pretty good tank to have around, the scouting can save you from a blob and the 75mm gun still does decent damange to the rear, had two of them one game and both killed two panzer 4s and a panther between them (not alone, had support).

The only thing that kills me is the CP cost and crappy aint inf but hey we cant have everything.
24 Dec 2015, 21:16 PM

Interesting, I should check this out. But for me, most interesting part is that Overwatch artillery but still, I didn't have situation where it works as intended. Guys, someone have good replay with effective use of this ability?
24 Dec 2015, 21:19 PM

I love it in 1v1, favourite one I own. Shame it's underwhelming, and no, Valentine spam doesn't work, I tried.
26 Dec 2015, 17:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2015, 21:16 PMFrost
Interesting, I should check this out. But for me, most interesting part is that Overwatch artillery but still, I didn't have situation where it works as intended. Guys, someone have good replay with effective use of this ability?

I tested all the abilities in this doctrine in a 1v1 versus my second account that I use to test stuff.

The coordinated barrage would take about 6x strikes to take down a Panzer Schwerer, if someone doesn't notice and repair. It fires 3 volleys of 2 shells, but they have small AOE and large scatter.

The overwatch ability also fires in groups of 2. It only fires at one target while the ability is active. Unless RNG loves you, it would take on average 3x overwatches to kill one squad, if they sit in the your territory for six minutes without capping, reinforcing, or retreating.

The Sexton is even more underwhelming. When barraging the Panzer Schwerer, a barrage from just outside the Schwerer's range took down half of the health of the Schwerer. In four tests, it did not kill the Sturmpios who were repairing the truck.

The Valentine was okay. It was similar to the Puma (not quite as good) while being more expensive but having the mini-hapmack ability.

In short, you could pick this doctrine if you want to troll someone, but it would have to be someone that you could beat without picking a commander anyway.
26 Dec 2015, 17:12 PM

+1 On Valentine making this doctrine a lot more viable if it was buffed. It's nice that they lowered its CP requirements but its still too expensive for what it does. It should be a slightly more expensive T-70 (due to its scanning ability) compared to its currently "overpriced AEC" form now.

If the Brits had the ability to threaten a potent AI light vehicle rush of sorts it would open up a lot of options for UKF. Its a shame because the idea behind this commander is pretty cool.
25 Feb 2016, 00:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Dec 2015, 17:01 PMGrumpy

The coordinated barrage would take about 6x strikes to take down a Panzer Schwerer, if someone doesn't notice and repair. It fires 3 volleys of 2 shells, but they have small AOE and large scatter.

In short, you could pick this doctrine if you want to troll someone, but it would have to be someone that you could beat without picking a commander anyway.

You missed the point of my original post. I was saying the only real reason to pick the doctrine is for the combined arty barrage at 100 muni.. and NOT to use that vs base structures. Use it against enemy fortifications like MGs in critical buildings...

Sometimes they can be a huge pain to face as brits, but this simple ability which comes early at 4 CP will easily deny and destroy any ambient building.... this, for me, is the sole reason to go Royal Arty. It can have an immense impact of the flow of the game from quite early on.

I also said I was using against OST, never against OKW.

If you wanted to destory base buildings, other doctrines have better tools.
25 Feb 2016, 03:50 AM

It will be interesting to play it again with the fixes to the 25pdrs. Does Concentration Barrage utilise the Anvil airburst shells?

I can see the new counter barrage being more situationaly useful and the commander doesn't appear to have anything to offer except for the 4CP one, though some of us do like our artillery whatever the situation. :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 16
unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment