Login

russian armor

USF Sherman sandbag upgrade

25 Nov 2015, 08:43 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_armour
not that hard to find

Exactly. Spaced armor is specifically used to minimize the damage of HEAT shells. Sandbags might also be helpful (although slightly), even if the trajectory and direction of the shell is changed by sandbag, that's enough. They were also used to reduce ricocheted bullets. A battle is a shitstorm of bullets coming from different directions which might ricochet and hit supporting infantry.
25 Nov 2015, 08:44 AM

Title fixed.
25 Nov 2015, 15:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Nov 2015, 08:36 AMJespe

Russian used logs on top of their tanks.
Not guite sure was it against that magnetic AT mine that germans used. or did they just believe that Sabot/HEAT cannot penetrate it. Or to protect their diesel fuel tanks.

Zimmerit paste

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmerit
25 Nov 2015, 15:41 PM

Well according to hollywood, wood bounces 88mm shells 100% of the time.
25 Nov 2015, 16:05 PM

Sandbags were for keeping bullet ricochets to a minimum.

The extra track links used by German crews added a few mm of armor to 'vulnerable' areas, which might make a theoretical difference in the case of freak hits to that area at long range--with the spare track links, a normal AP or APC shell might not penetrate.

The Soviets used the logs for unditching; "Oy Comrade Alexeiy, tonkovey is of biengs of stuk in mud! Be of placings logs under trakcs for good traction or gulag for yuo )))"

not for magically stopping 8,8 cm APCBC-T shells.

In the former two cases, its Lionel's safety blanket. Does it do anything? No. But it adds peace of mind and keeps you from worrying your ass off in the middle of a fight. And thus, you're more effective and efficient at carrying out your assigned duties.
25 Nov 2015, 16:35 PM
Patrion 14

but has to be re-upgraded it seems.
25 Nov 2015, 16:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Nov 2015, 16:35 PMpigsoup

but has to be re-upgraded it seems.

Hollywood supports DLC
25 Nov 2015, 17:10 PM

That is the property of Stalinwood, grown only by the will and effort of the glorious workers, blessed by comrade Stalin each days. Axis technology is no match for the people's ingenuity.
25 Nov 2015, 18:09 PM

Russians used infantry on top of their tanks :snfPeter:

Actually, a squad armed with submachineguns and grenades was quite effective against Panzerfausts :megusta:
25 Nov 2015, 18:22 PM

Actually, a squad armed with submachineguns and grenades was quite effective against Panzerfausts :megusta:

"living armor"
25 Nov 2015, 18:24 PM

That is the property of Stalinwood, grown only by the will and effort of the glorious workers, blessed by comrade Stalin each days. Axis technology is no match for the people's ingenuity.

Hahahahaha this one is gold. Nice one
28 Nov 2015, 04:24 AM

USF armor is paper enuff wud be nice if they can get some kind of upgrade via MU purchase to increase survivability odds which is currently against their favor
30 Nov 2015, 01:13 AM

peace of mind is a good enough reason for a soldier to do something. I also am fairly certain that anything like sandbags or wood would at least stop some ricocheting from smaller caliber fire and interfere somewhat with the HEAT warhead. war is a clusterfuck, do what you can.
30 Nov 2015, 01:29 AM

I would suggest that the Easy 8 gets adjusted to 150 fuel and buffed slightly to match it

Then add a USF tech upgrade(similar to nades/racks) that makes all Shermans have a 76mm gun and sandbags (ones on the field and future built ones) buffing damage and survival, it would be an expensive upgrade resource wise (Cost can be adjusted depending on how significant changes are) and would make all future Shermans cost 10 more fuel and 50 more manpower

Thats my idea :P
30 Nov 2015, 01:34 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Nov 2015, 16:05 PMVolsky
In the former two cases, its Lionel's safety blanket. Does it do anything? No. But it adds peace of mind and keeps you from worrying your ass off in the middle of a fight. And thus, you're more effective and efficient at carrying out your assigned duties.

But what if they instead act more stupidly?
nee
3 Dec 2015, 08:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Nov 2015, 00:44 AMIGOR
its not a bad idea ... vcoh shermans had this through vet , but i don't remember in what the sandbags really helped.
Last I read, it was only cosmetic feature.

Axis tanks are the only vehicles that actually gain more armour through veterancy, I personally think, at least through a commander unlock, Shermans could get this feature, through something like only Vehicle Crews can give it to them, or as part of a Hull-down sort of commander ability.

In terms of what this can do through gameplay effects, some ideas can be the typical increased HP, reduced penetration change, reduced critical hit change, or even make units repairing the vehicle less likely to take damage.

And yes, the logs were carried so they can used it to unditch vehicles that got stuck in mud and steep ravines and such.
3 Dec 2015, 12:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2015, 08:56 AMnee
Last I read, it was only cosmetic feature.

Axis tanks are the only vehicles that actually gain more armour through veterancy, I personally think, at least through a commander unlock, Shermans could get this feature, through something like only Vehicle Crews can give it to them, or as part of a Hull-down sort of commander ability.

In terms of what this can do through gameplay effects, some ideas can be the typical increased HP, reduced penetration change, reduced critical hit change, or even make units repairing the vehicle less likely to take damage.

And yes, the logs were carried so they can used it to unditch vehicles that got stuck in mud and steep ravines and such.

''reduced critical hit change'' would be nice , since it is just sandbags ...
i thought that the sandbags in vcoh was to negate the first panzerfaust , but you said it was just cosmetics... that sux.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★