Login

russian armor

Looking for a good SGB extractor that works with Coh1 maps

17 Nov 2015, 20:08 PM

Hello All,

Haven't had a lot of time to work on my upcoming map project as I am in my busy season at work. Next week here in the states will be our thanksgiving and had some extra down time to work on my maps. I have a bunch of old maps I would like to redo for COH2 from the Coh1 community. Some of my favorites I played back in blitzkrieg and wanted to convert them as no one has redone them yet, giving credit were credit is due of course.

My questions is, what program do you guys use to extract the sgb out of the original sga for COH1 maps. I am using SGA2SGB 1.2 at the moment and it doesn't work with old coh1 sga files. Works fine with all Coh2 sga though. Is Corsix mod my only choice?? I thank you for your time and help on this topic.

Thanks in advance.
Dankbuds

17 Nov 2015, 21:19 PM

your best bets are probably the relicnews forum or if you want a "good" one, do it yourself ;-) i started programming one for coh2 in beta, but copernicus was quicker, so i let it be (since i only wanted one for coh2 anyway). source code for either should be available.
17 Nov 2015, 22:03 PM

Hey Cr4wler,

Thanks for your reply. I have done a lot of research looking to see if there was an extractor for both. Looks as I need extractor for Coh1 and one for Coh2 as the code strings are different. I am not sure if an extractor for both even exists or can be done. I have used Copernicus extractor back in beta, and haven't tried it since then. Can anyone confirm if his extractor tool will work COH1 sgas? I going to try when I get home from work to see if it work with both. I see a lot of people do remakes of old coh1 community maps, no idea how they get the SGA extracted though.

Appreciate your help,
Dankbuds
17 Nov 2015, 22:07 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Have you tried coh1/coh2 archive.exe or coh2 official modding tools archive viewer?
17 Nov 2015, 22:15 PM

Hello Janne

Thanks for your help on this.

I haven't yet. Do you think the archive.exe would extract the sgb and tgas from a coh1 sga? I have always used a community extractor for my sgb. I forgot about the official modding tools. I can try that as well after work. Good idea!

Thanks in advance,
Dankbuds
17 Nov 2015, 23:53 PM

Hey Cr4wler,

Thanks for your reply. I have done a lot of research looking to see if there was an extractor for both. Looks as I need extractor for Coh1 and one for Coh2 as the code strings are different. I am not sure if an extractor for both even exists or can be done. I have used Copernicus extractor back in beta, and haven't tried it since then. Can anyone confirm if his extractor tool will work COH1 sgas? I going to try when I get home from work to see if it work with both. I see a lot of people do remakes of old coh1 community maps, no idea how they get the SGA extracted though.

Appreciate your help,
Dankbuds

the problem of trying to be able to handle both SGAs was (and dont pin me down on this, it's been a few years ^^) that the version keys could actually be the same, despite being different SGA versions... if you exclude DOW-type SGAs though, it might be possible to code a coh1&coh2 sga extractor (there should be some way to differentiate between the two, even if the "version" key is identical).

18 Nov 2015, 00:14 AM

With a little research this is a what I found from 2013 in regards to extractor via cope's post on forum.relicnews.com

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?270246-TOOL-CoH2-SGA-Extractor-v-1-2-26-09-13

Looks as his extractor is for Coh2 only. Will test thoroughly when I get home to verify. I think Jannes suggestions might be my best bet. Check to see if the official modding tools will allow me to extract the sgb out of COH1 sgas. If not my only back up plan is to see if I can find someone who would be interested in coding a old coh1 extractor for the community or find a working one from 2011ish from a fan site.

Might also load up my Corsix Mod see if it still works. Hadn't touched it since opposing fronts.

I appreciate your help so far with the info Cr4wler. Coding a program to work by myself might be an endeavor I don't have the time for at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
Dankbuds
18 Nov 2015, 00:49 AM

With a little research this is a what I found from 2013 in regards to extractor via cope's post on forum.relicnews.com

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?270246-TOOL-CoH2-SGA-Extractor-v-1-2-26-09-13

Looks as his extractor is for Coh2 only. Will test thoroughly when I get home to verify. I think Jannes suggestions might be my best bet. Check to see if the official modding tools will allow me to extract the sgb out of COH1 sgas. If not my only back up plan is to see if I can find someone who would be interested in coding a old coh1 extractor for the community or find a working one from 2011ish from a fan site.

Might also load up my Corsix Mod see if it still works. Hadn't touched it since opposing fronts.

I appreciate your help so far with the info Cr4wler. Coding a program to work by myself might be an endeavor I don't have the time for at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
Dankbuds

cope has written sga extractors for SGAv4 through v7 afaik... so theoretically it should be possible to use his DLLs to write a program that works with EVERY version (unless he explicitly removed the old functionality, which i doubt). probably less work than rewriting from scratch.

if rewriting is not an option, using the known existing tools from cope/corsix is probably your best bet.
18 Nov 2015, 01:18 AM

Yea I am going go through his version of SGA tools to see if I can find a version that will work. Feeling good about v5.1 (Last version for Coh1) If nothing still works with the old SGA files, I always have corsix and the official modding tools to try as well to try. I will post if a I find a solution to this problem. I appreciate your words of advice Cr4wler. You have been a huge help and thank you for your time good sir. Best of luck to you!

Thanks Again,
Dankbuds
18 Nov 2015, 01:33 AM

Update: Solution

Got it to work. Just as I thought. Need a separate extractor for COH1 sgas. If you are looking for an extractor that will convert only coh1 community maps use Cope Extractor V5.1 link below.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?251494-TOOL-SGA-Extractor-(v4-4-1-5-5-1)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Cr4wler. You rock buddy.

Dankbuds
18 Nov 2015, 02:06 AM

You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words :-)

Just used cope's DLL to write a minimal program that will read the SGA version from different SGA files and return the result, which works fine both for coh and coh2, so at least in theory it should be possible to create a program that can handle both coh and coh2 sgas... unfortunately i'm too lazy (and also don't really have the time) to writing such a program, but maybe you'll find someone more enthusiastic about that :-)

until then you already have a working solution anyway...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★