Login

russian armor

2 problems i have in teamgames

5 Nov 2015, 15:44 PM

Hi everyone,

i played a lot of 3v3 and 4v4 games (all factions) automatched and have a question for you how to handle two situations that i find hard to deal with.
would be nice if you can give me advice on how to handle those situation. most of my problems i have when i play allies, and germans are kinda easier for me.

1. Problem: Early game vs MG spam (especially when theyre in buildings)

- Im facing the "mg spam" quite often vs ostheer. mostly 2 players focus on one side, every player builds 2 mgs, maybe one more and boom i have to deal with 4-6 mgs (in buildings) covering each other on strategic points.

what i try to do:
when i play US i try to tech grenades and try to "smoke and flank" with all my squads from different angles. but often those squads gets yellow suppressed and then forced to retreat all the way back home to base because grens are rolling in and supressed units deal no dmg.

as soviets for me its kinda easier, i build mortar and smoke barrage into molotov the mg, and that works pretty good. but here i have the problem that i can only smoke 1 MG resulting mostly in full retreat like when i play USF.

so what you guys do here?

2. Problem: Hoards of Infantry in one giant Blob.
- i really cant handle players who send all their infantry in one blob around the map. i just get steamrolled.
- if i manage to get the blob retreating, its usually a minute or two when the blob rolls in again and stronger then before.

what i try to do:
as USF: i try to build 50 cal mg, mostly 2 of them. but i cant get it work. usually the blob just runs into it and snipes both mg crews or just walks in and throws grenade.
i also tried the flaktruck but its hard to use vs a shreckblob because it dies when they get 1 shot off.
the only thing that works for me is he sherman but it comes too late for me, because then the game is mostly lost.

as Sov:
i use the maxim and democharges. it works better for me than as usf, because maxims 6 man squadsize. but the problem is similar to the one i have with usf.
when i use the t70 or the flaktruck it just dies to volley of the blob.

when i play germans i dont have much problems with allied blobs somehow..
as OKW: i try to use the kubel early game and its quite good until handheld at comes in. then i build leig and use captured enemy mgs for suppression.
i build flaktruck or luchs to deal with the blobs.

as wehrmacht i feel most comfortable with dealing with blobs. i usually get mg42, maybe another one later on to cover first one and mortar (and keep them close) and that stops most things.
if i see big blobs i just upgrade flame halftrack and later build either ostwind or P4.
5 Nov 2015, 17:58 PM
Admin Red  Badge

As USF. Ignore the MGs, harass, and/or ask your allies for indirect fire. You don't have the tools to deal with a lot of mgs in houses early. No point wasting manpower and munitions to clear them out with smoke and grenades. Go for their cutoffs instead. Smoke points and decapure them to harass. Or tech to a captain for the howitzers, and scout with your rear echelons or a weak squad, to get intel on MG positions. Without losing too much combat power.

If your teammates are helpful, and you let them know, they'll send a mortar or two your way. But it will take a while to clear them out. So stay mobile and harass! It's the best you can do, until you get your tools.

As Soviets, don't attack them with your infantry, let the mortars do the work for you. Smoke the points again, and decapture them. Shell the MGs, force them to move. Put your own MGs to cover the decaptured points. Let them come to you. It'll be a slow advance. Try to harass their cutoffs to force some of their forces to react, and then attack. Take it easy.

Two Mgs and a scout with some infantry screening should do. Keep the MGs back, lead the blob into them with the scouts and then hit them with the infantry as they get suppressed. Ideally.

You can try to split the blob by splitting your own forces and go for points/cuttoffs. Should net you some captures if he/she keeps blobbing. Just remember to slam the retreat button if you see the blob coming. A greater chance for your squad to survive that way, until you get some suppression.

If that's not your style, you can face them head on. Use cover, and make sure you have more firepower than they do.

Then there's the guerrilla warfare with snipers. Stay at range, pick off one at a time and move back. Have some infantry in cover as a screen if possible.

A scout will help. Like the utility car, scout cars, vet 1 Line infantry or the like. You'll be able to see the blob before it sees you and plan ahead. Fight, or avoid.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope it helps you!
Hat
5 Nov 2015, 19:06 PM

Build mortars, use rifle grenades, flank, rush out flame halftrack, sniper, etc.
6 Nov 2015, 14:51 PM

- Im facing the "mg spam" quite often vs ostheer. mostly 2 players focus on one side, every player builds 2 mgs, maybe one more and boom i have to deal with 4-6 mgs (in buildings) covering each other on strategic points.

what i try to do:
when i play US i try to tech grenades and try to "smoke and flank" with all my squads from different angles. but often those squads gets yellow suppressed and then forced to retreat all the way back home to base because grens are rolling in and supressed units deal no dmg.

as soviets for me its kinda easier, i build mortar and smoke barrage into molotov the mg, and that works pretty good. but here i have the problem that i can only smoke 1 MG resulting mostly in full retreat like when i play USF.

so what you guys do here?

As Soviets:

Other options:
1)Snipers
2)M3A1 scout car with engineers equipped with flamer - only if there is no grenadiers nearby because of obvious reasons.

As USF:
1)Upgrade grenade package earlier (before MGs reaches critical mass).

2)Use Rifle Company
Upgrade rifles with flamers.
Smoke, close in, burn them out.

3)In early-to-mid game: light vehicles/pack howie

4) Try to build Fighting Position with your first Rear Echelon troops so that key building will be in radius of Fighting Position's grenade range. Those grenades take out units in buildings quite quickly.

- i really cant handle players who send all their infantry in one blob around the map. i just get steamrolled.
- if i manage to get the blob retreating, its usually a minute or two when the blob rolls in again and stronger then before.

what i try to do:
as USF: i try to build 50 cal mg, mostly 2 of them. but i cant get it work. usually the blob just runs into it and snipes both mg crews or just walks in and throws grenade.
i also tried the flaktruck but its hard to use vs a shreckblob because it dies when they get 1 shot off.
the only thing that works for me is he sherman but it comes too late for me, because then the game is mostly lost.

as Sov:
i use the maxim and democharges. it works better for me than as usf, because maxims 6 man squadsize. but the problem is similar to the one i have with usf.
when i use the t70 or the flaktruck it just dies to volley of the blob.

As Soviets:
Double Katyushas.
Use first one to force blob to retreat and second one to finish them off while they are clumped in their retreat point.

Wait for blob to stop. You can force them to do so by building like of sandbags and putting cons there. They usually stop at mid distance.

Try to use Katys from as close distance as possible in order to reduce scatter of rockets.

Use Guards or PTRS cons to cover your Katys from vehicles.
Or better don't build Guards. Just put mines everywhere.

As USF:
Double MG should do the work. If you say it didn't, then I assume you didn't provided sight on enemy troops so they could start to fire on max range.
You need to lure them into MGs and screen with your infantry. If they are still closing in to MGs throw a preemptive grenade in their way.

I don't recommend to invest heavily into MGs because of heavy indirect fire in large team games.

Try Pack Howie (random suppression and squad wipes)
Also try M8A1 Scott howie. Don't expose it to their fire - kite them.

7 Nov 2015, 09:41 AM
Donator 11

I assume you are playing 3v3 and 4v4 random.

First of all teamwork is very important... and playing with randoms in larger teamgames against arranged teams is nearly impossible.

USF is probably the worst pick against 3-4 Ostheer player... you can barely deal with all the mgs. All 4v4 maps are also not big enough for flanking.

Soviet is probably the most important faction in larger teamgames... you need to carry UKF through its rough early game and take care of all MGs/Countermortars.

MGs:
1. Dont let the enemy rush important locations with their mgs (like houses)
2. Snipers can also be very effective against MG spam
3. If your enemy has more than 2 MGs or some mortars go for a light vehicle (like T70 to chase down his mgs)
4. Recrew or destory EVERY dropped MG/Mortar

Blobs:
1. Mgs and Packhowis are probably the most efficient way to stop blobs
2. Place demos and mines
3. Deny flanks with wire
4. Micro the AAHT very carefully (just use it at max range with the mg against blobs)
5. Get a Priest and barrage the Medic HQ
6. Get Katuyscha
7. If you encounter a schreck blob and they wasted their AT Missile crush them while they are reloading and push them around to stop them from shooting (but you need to be very careful with that)
8. If the blob retreats try to chase him down to the HQ and wipe it.
9. DONT FIGHT THE BLOB WITH SINGLE SQUADS!

7 Nov 2015, 20:57 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Blobs:

In addition to what everyone else has said:

Fear Propaganda is a greatly underrated ability for blob control

There's also a couple of combos that can help you deal with it for good:

Terror Tactics:

Force them to retreat with Prop, then shell their retreat point with the ML20 or drop a bomb on them

Anti-Infantry:

Force them to retreat with Prop, then drop Incendiary on their retreat point just before they get there
10 Nov 2015, 13:18 PM

thank you for the tips, they help
10 Nov 2015, 14:01 PM

USF vs Mgs spam:
Like said: Occupy the houses with your first unit, cap later when you know what strategy you get in front of you. Being first to occupy the houses is primordial with USF in 3vs3+.
In case of MGs spam, do not overbuild infantry, build 2 REs instead of your 2nd and 3rd riflesquad and build 1 or 2 fighting positions to hold the line. imo it is probably the only case where I rush building fuel caches. skip T1, T2 with a pak + stuart.
Do not rush with the stuart, Mgs spam are usually followed with mine spam and prbably a pak. Use it defensively to stop his harass while you attack with the pak howi.
Use grenade to smoke and harass capping and leave the mgs alone until you have the forces to take them out. Avoid giving them free vet by frontal attack.

USF vs blob.

.50 behind your rifles. .50 isn't good alone, use it behind 1 or many rifle squads for a maximum effectiveness. Same goes if you use a halftrack => never in the frontline, always behind a squad of rifles to give extra vision and not being the first automatic target of schreck. If you retreat the rifle squad, so you do as well with the ht unless you have suppressed all the blob and are at max range.
Build a couple of REs more and harass his points. Next it depend of your doctrine, if you have infantry or armor company = mines or demo charge.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★