Login

russian armor

Why Vaulting is Overrated

9 Oct 2015, 08:47 AM

A lot of people are dumbfounded when I say vaulting isn't the amazing feature people make it out to be, so I made a video explaining. This is a very map dependent issue but it detracts from mappers ability to funnel infantry in to certain areas. As far as flanking routes goes less is more, and vaulting makes the early game infantry vs MG less interesting since using map awareness to isolate where certain units are approaching from and having MGs in excellent position is less prevalent than it was in high level coh1 play. We already have smoke drop abilities, smoke grenades, and plenty of sprint abilities....there isn't really a need for vaulting on top of that other stuff. The problem with vaulting is that previously certain map features corralled the infantry if you tried to attack from one direction, so it forced you to time an attack from 3-5 directions. Now since the corrals are rekt by right clicking on them, its easier to succeed with a large force charging in one direction.

In COH1 the maps had to be balanced so that there were enough obstacles to steer attacking infantry, but enough entrys/exits to not make MGs completely overpowered. It feels as if vaulting is just a fool proof way to not make MGs overpowered on any map, but at the expense of nerfing the shit out of smart early MG play. I have zero expectation this will be changed in COH2, but its a good lesson to learn from for future COH or DOW games. When the current system is working fine, adding in new features that shakes it up should be avoided unless it without a doubt improves gameplay in a meaningful way.
9 Oct 2015, 21:49 PM
Patrion 28

see i like vaulting because it makes for less static play. i don't like it when 1 MG locks down 1/3 of the map. also, mappers can put unvaultable and undestroyable objects down if they really like MG/artillery fighting.
9 Oct 2015, 21:59 PM

Why is vaulting good? Because it's realistic! It shouldn't be a problem to cross an obstacle which is hardly higher than 1 1/2m.
9 Oct 2015, 22:05 PM

Airm.... Hmm. I agree with the premise that maps are generally more open and more difficult to effectively defend, but I don't feel that's further facilitated by vaulting, nor do I feel that maps are too open to make a defensive play style untenable. Some are more constricting than others to be sure, but I've never foiled someones defensive line by finding the one unguarded fence. You do raise a strategic quandary though regarding defensive doctrine, and I feel that the best players I play against do a tremendous job either constructing cover and pressing further forward or bolstering the "natural coralls" with things such as wire or mines a lot more than in vCoH

And thank heavens above that it hailed the end of sandbag barricades
9 Oct 2015, 22:34 PM
Donator 22

Why is vaulting important?

Because in vCoh, sandbagging a bridge could block inf from advancing. I mean....
9 Oct 2015, 22:39 PM
9 Oct 2015, 22:40 PM

A lot of people are dumbfounded when I say vaulting isn't the amazing feature people make it out to be, so I made a video explaining. This is a very map dependent issue but it detracts from mappers ability to funnel infantry in to certain areas. As far as flanking routes goes less is more, and vaulting makes the early game infantry vs MG less interesting since using map awareness to isolate where certain units are approaching from and having MGs in excellent position is less prevalent than it was in high level coh1 play. We already have smoke drop abilities, smoke grenades, and plenty of sprint abilities....there isn't really a need for vaulting on top of that other stuff. The problem with vaulting is that previously certain map features corralled the infantry if you tried to attack from one direction, so it forced you to time an attack from 3-5 directions. Now since the corrals are rekt by right clicking on them, its easier to succeed with a large force charging in one direction.

In COH1 the maps had to be balanced so that there were enough obstacles to steer attacking infantry, but enough entrys/exits to not make MGs completely overpowered. It feels as if vaulting is just a fool proof way to not make MGs overpowered on any map, but at the expense of nerfing the shit out of smart early MG play. I have zero expectation this will be changed in COH2, but its a good lesson to learn from for future COH or DOW games. When the current system is working fine, adding in new features that shakes it up should be avoided unless it without a doubt improves gameplay in a meaningful way.

if you want an obstacle let it be a wall which relic will not implement unless they feel like it.
9 Oct 2015, 22:41 PM

whats the point of this thread.

vaulting is a good feature and enhances the gameplay reasonably. it really is undeniable. so why this nitpicking?
9 Oct 2015, 22:41 PM

The Community only gets more logical basilone.
9 Oct 2015, 23:16 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Basilone pls. Vaulting is cool. It actually creates interesting situations where players need to decide whether or not they should try to soft-retreat, vault, then hard retreat, or just hard retreat (possibly taking a more treacherous path). There was a great example of this in OCF, where a player had wired a treacherous retreat path around the southern points on Kholodny Ferma Summer. Twice, a Wehr player with overextended Grens had to move, then vault a fence, then retreat to take the "short cut" home. One time, they weren't able to, and when they retreated, they ran a huge obstacle course through enemy territory. Cool stuff, enabled by the vaulting mechanic.

But really, why would you make this sad shitpost and even spend time on a video? Just bored? :P
9 Oct 2015, 23:24 PM

Eh, it just means machine guns require more active play than placing them in a static position mindlessly. They also require more supporting units.

9 Oct 2015, 23:49 PM

Basilone pls. Vaulting is cool. It actually creates interesting situations where players need to decide whether or not they should try to soft-retreat, vault, then hard retreat, or just hard retreat (possibly taking a more treacherous path). There was a great example of this in OCF, where a player had wired a treacherous retreat path around the southern points on Kholodny Ferma Summer. Twice, a Wehr player with overextended Grens had to move, then vault a fence, then retreat to take the "short cut" home. One time, they weren't able to, and when they retreated, they ran a huge obstacle course through enemy territory. Cool stuff, enabled by the vaulting mechanic.

But really, why would you make this sad shitpost and even spend time on a video? Just bored? :P

While I generally agree, I'm under the impression that "shitposting" means low-effort spam posts, usually ones that people find favorable or humorous or meme-y. This isn't exactly that. :P
10 Oct 2015, 07:08 AM

Yes, now that cold tech is dead, let's kill vaulting also to make the game more static and promote MG camping! Then all we need is to eliminate that pesky true sight feature (real men don't hide SMG troops behind buildings).
10 Oct 2015, 07:35 AM

Yes, now that cold tech is dead, let's kill vaulting also to make the game more static and promote MG camping! Then all we need is to eliminate that pesky true sight feature (real men don't hide SMG troops behind buildings).

Come on man, can't you be more charitable to the arguments of others? Is this slippery slope really necessary?
10 Oct 2015, 07:47 AM
Patrion 27

Zzz... I've never seen people talking up vaulting, if anything they say it doesn't impact the game enough.
11 Oct 2015, 15:44 PM

Come on man, can't you be more charitable to the arguments of others? Is this slippery slope really necessary?

Sorry, I'm just salty about the way a lot of people have reacted to Relic trying to innovate with CoH2.
11 Oct 2015, 15:57 PM

lmao go and play vcoh if you hate this
11 Oct 2015, 16:24 PM

Just put in objects that can't be vaulted... Or put crap on the other side of the wall so you can't vault it?

Map makers can still funnel combat in plenty of ways, and they already do this. Vaulting is a great mechanic and leads to many rewarding situations for good players.

I don't agree with Ami's opinion that this is a shit post because you did put effort into it. But I do have to agree with his argument in favor of the mechanic.
11 Oct 2015, 18:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Oct 2015, 16:24 PMCieZ
Just put in objects that can't be vaulted... Or put crap on the other side of the wall so you can't vault it?

Map makers can still funnel combat in plenty of ways, and they already do this. Vaulting is a great mechanic and leads to many rewarding situations for good players.

True but none of the ported maps do that. Semois is probably the worst offender, the middle is a no fly zone for MGs early game.
11 Oct 2015, 19:11 PM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS