Login

russian armor

Improving Coldtech

8 Oct 2015, 20:16 PM

The fact that you think that cold tech doesn't provide strategic advantages kind of demonstrates the incompetent thing. There's DOZENS of ways to use cold tech to your advantage.

If Relic added wild animals and made it so you were attacked by a squad of bears in a forest unless you constructed bear traps, that would also add more "strategical" play into the game.

Why not add diseases too? You know, the majority of deaths from WW2 weren't caused by bullets or tanks. Most of the Allies and Axis were killed by diseases.

Oh look, we can add elements of strategy into the game where you have to keep your troops fed and healthy. Better keep them out of those waters so they don't contract trench foot. MORE strategical play right there folks.
8 Oct 2015, 20:38 PM

For example, one thing I used to do when I built an early sniper vs Soviets was screen him with deep snow. This meant if they popped Hoorah to try and rush him down they would get bogged down in the snow and the sniper could be quite safe.

That's nice, except there was so much deep snow that it actually affects both attacker and defender equally most of the time. So most cases just come down to who can support their indirect fire/support troops better and that has nothing to do with cold tech. And your example is simplistic in suggesting that one player simply chooses to ignore deep snow while the other takes advantage of it. In a more egalitarian example, it just creates more extreme situations, where a squad caught out of position is more likely to die than it would without cold tech. I guess whether you like that or not is a matter of taste.

But again, situations where you could gain some significant advantage with proper use of deep snow were so rare to be almost insignificant. Most of the time people just camped a little harder and relied more on vehicles and fire.

Also, A squad won't freeze to death retreating through deep snow unless it is ALREADY FROZEN BEFORE RETREATING. It takes like a minute of being frozen for a squad to lose one member. The fact that it is being brought up so much in this thread really demonstrates my point that people didn't keep their troops warm. I don't understand, how is building a firepit any more microintensive than building sandbags?

Actually, most people were complaining about retreats through deep snow without the freezing effect. The freezing effect was so insignificant that it could be ignored most of the time. Which begs the question, 'why keep it at all'?

Back to deeps snow retreats: since you can't really avoid deep snow on most winter maps, it essentially turns into punishment for flanking and capping the more distant points. This leads to more static play, less valid strategies, more high stakes play.

None of these appeal to me so, I'm happy.
8 Oct 2015, 20:58 PM

If Relic added wild animals and made it so you were attacked by a squad of bears in a forest unless you constructed bear traps, that would also add more "strategical" play into the game.

Why not add diseases too? You know, the majority of deaths from WW2 weren't caused by bullets or tanks. Most of the Allies and Axis were killed by diseases.

Oh look, we can add elements of strategy into the game where you have to keep your troops fed and healthy. Better keep them out of those waters so they don't contract trench foot. MORE strategical play right there folks.

The winter mechanics both fit narratively (Eastern front), Aesthetically (winter!) and gameplay wise (CoH is all about controlling territory and supply and fighting from cover.)

They also blended well with the existing terrain mechanics. We already have water, so why is deep snow a suddenly a sin? It does pretty much the same thing. (water is actually worse since it's negative cover) Why is keeping your troops warm during a short ~3 minute blizzard so fucking terribly difficult? If you're turtling through the entire blizzard you're doing it wrong.

That's nice, except there was so much deep snow that it actually affects both attacker and defender equally most of the time.

WHOA JUST LIKE NEGATIVE COVER ROADS. WHOA JUST LIKE AVAILABLE GARRISONS AND HEAVY COVER. It's almost like it was a tactical component of the map or something.

It was relevant all the time on kholodny's vp's, winter langreskaya and pripyat's central forest. Also possibly in team games but I didn't play much of them.

Back to deeps snow retreats: since you can't really avoid deep snow on most winter maps, it essentially turns into punishment for flanking and capping the more distant points. This leads to more static play, less valid strategies, more high stakes play.

Retreat earlier? Kite your opponent without retreating? Use soviet sniper (unimpaired by snow) to do such things? Hide in the snow instead of retreating?

9 Oct 2015, 01:07 AM
Patrion 28

The winter mechanics both fit narratively (Eastern front), Aesthetically (winter!) and gameplay wise (CoH is all about controlling territory and supply and fighting from cover.)

They also blended well with the existing terrain mechanics. We already have water, so why is deep snow a suddenly a sin? It does pretty much the same thing. (water is actually worse since it's negative cover) Why is keeping your troops warm during a short ~3 minute blizzard so fucking terribly difficult? If you're turtling through the entire blizzard you're doing it wrong.

because water is one, really fucking obvious, and two, it's used much less. mostly it's just that it's used less. mud (old hill 331) and deep snow are identical in regards to the speed penalty and hill 331 was fucking terrible because there was so much mud in all the places you had to walk.

the freezing wasn't really an issue, i seldom lost any models to it and when i did it was due to obvious inattention (setup mortar where it's almost always firing and then forget about it or it didn't *quite* setup in cover). it was however fucking annoying and punished attempted attacks since your squads had to get cold in order to move forward and attack the enemy while they could camp and not get cold and if i had to retreat i was more likely to lose models because they were already cold from tactical flanking.

also, pretty sure blizzards are 60 seconds.

WHOA JUST LIKE NEGATIVE COVER ROADS. WHOA JUST LIKE AVAILABLE GARRISONS AND HEAVY COVER. It's almost like it was a tactical component of the map or something.

It was relevant all the time on kholodny's vp's, winter langreskaya and pripyat's central forest. Also possibly in team games but I didn't play much of them.

the biggest difference being that negative cover doesn't slow you down unless it's water and then it's mitigated by shallow water not being used much (mostly on summer versions of the seasonal maps and most of the summer versions got removed before the winter ones).

Retreat earlier? Kite your opponent without retreating? Use soviet sniper (unimpaired by snow) to do such things? Hide in the snow instead of retreating?

i always had issues getting my units to actually hide in deep snow. i specifically remember the time i lost a sniper on rezhev winter because he waded into the deep snow but didn't cloak. not sure why.
9 Oct 2015, 02:11 AM

Deep snow isn't really the problem. The problem is the blizzard storms. The water and snow is fine but if you want to compare blizzards then you'd compare that with floods.

Do you realize how annoying it would be if all of the sudden every few minutes or so, players got a flash flood warning and if you didn't move your troops to higher ground they would all drown?

And I wouldn't be surprised if there were people who were for that kind of thing. That sort of stuff belongs in mods or custom maps.
9 Oct 2015, 02:18 AM

I do love the stawmanning of: no actually, these players that wanted cold tech gone just didn't get it, didn't exploit the environment for all it's tactical nuance, and are thusly atrocious at the game, when A. it is pragmatically not actually nuanced at all, and B. it was boring.

Why do you just outright dismiss our our argument that we found how it grinded games to a sputtering halt faster than a CAS strafe, pinning our army, incredibly boring? That is the most damning thing one could say during a critique of a computer game, it was boring.
9 Oct 2015, 14:23 PM

Cold Tech was just implemented poorly(very, very, very poorly)
It could have been improved Like:
1. Instead of blizzard being a timed event during winter maps, certain maps could instead be on a permanent blizzard settings.
> Blizzard in itself would turn from an event into a battlefield condition, something the players would have to take into consideration instead of just camping until the blizzard ends.

2. Infantry gain cold immunity through vet and/or upgrades.
>the longer the game goes the less focus the players have on each individual unit so giving the option to provide cold immunity can lessen the focus of the player on the cold.

3. Certain units gain LoS increase(in Blizzard maps) through vet and/or upgrades.
Blizzard will decrease the LoS of all units thereby making scouting harder for certain factions. An upgrade/vet bonus to certain units can help mitigate this.

4. Units move faster in deep snow through vet/upgrades.
>Deep snow is annoying in the sense that infantry get slowed down a lot. So giving the option to remove this hindrance is nice.

5. Deep snow is ONLY placed in tactical locations and not cover the whole map with it.
>Deep snow should force players to make choices and not just no brainer decisions.

6. Deep snow doesn't recover.
>once its gone its gone for good.

7. Deep snow can camouflage infantry.
>To increase its usability and not just make deep snow into a hindrance.

These are the things off the top of my head that could improve cold tech.

Mud tech follows in a similar manner, it should be use tactically and force players to make decision and not just have all the roads littered with them.

EDIT:
8. Disabling Offmap support because of making blizzard always on would kill certain commanders(CAS, Luftwaffe, etc.) so a better way to show that they are hampered would be to increase their cost or increase their delay in blizzard maps.
>This would further emphasize the notion that blizzard maps would play differently from summer/winter maps since your offmap support will be hampered by the blizzard.

Quoting my post from a similar thread
9 Oct 2015, 16:43 PM

I do love the stawmanning of: no actually, these players that wanted cold tech gone just didn't get it, didn't exploit the environment for all it's tactical nuance, and are thusly atrocious at the game, when A. it is pragmatically not actually nuanced at all, and B. it was boring.

Why do you just outright dismiss our our argument that we found how it grinded games to a sputtering halt faster than a CAS strafe, pinning our army, incredibly boring? That is the most damning thing one could say during a critique of a computer game, it was boring.

Because if blizzards slowed your game down to a crawl you clearly didn't understand the cold tech mechanics. Passive play during blizzards is an issue with the players, not the mechanics.

It's not a strawman when multiple people keep revealing that they didn't get it by saying their response to blizzards was to hunker down. It's a very passive playstyle, but blizzards rewarded proactive play tenfold.

Moreover, if ypur complaints are the game was too slow why did people petition for thngs like more expensive tech costs and slower vp bleed? It was a much faster game before the vCoH crowd convinced Relic to neuter it. You didn't have the option of turtling because you'd be way down on VP's. As it is now if you hold one vp and one fuel for the entire game you're guaranteed a king tiger, regardless of what your opponent's larger map presence and vp drain. This is by the by why competitive play is obsessed with squad wipes. Map control means dick in this game as long as you have fuel.

9 Oct 2015, 21:43 PM
Patrion 28

Because if blizzards slowed your game down to a crawl you clearly didn't understand the cold tech mechanics. Passive play during blizzards is an issue with the players, not the mechanics.

i think you need to enlighten the entire community on how to play during blizzards then because you seem to be the only one who gets it.
9 Oct 2015, 23:07 PM

i think you need to enlighten the entire community on how to play during blizzards then because you seem to be the only one who gets it.

Gain vision over your opponent. This can be done through flares or garrisoned halftracks. (Units inside see further than units out in blizzard) Use smoke barrages to make key targets less useful. Use fire pits near the front to warm your troops up before assaulting with pgrens/shock troops. (It takes time to get cold.)

Or just spread to the corners of the map and take territory. Using troop transports you can strike multiple areas of the map very quickly depriving your opponent of territory. Destroying firepits at your opponents natural resources also make recapture more difficult for him. By seizing the initiative, counterattack becomes more difficult since he has to leave the safety of his firepits. Meanwhile you can get back in the halftrack and drive off after he waltzes all over to you and then attack the part of the map he just left.

Soviets in particular were very good in blizzards due to their flare veterancy abilities on the sniper and mortar and their recon ability on t70/t34. Germans however had the advantage of bunkers, earlier halftrack and scout car vet ability detecting infantry.

OKW had the flash light halftrack and kubel wagon vet 1 ability for their own blizzard detection, Americans had smoke rifle nades and fighting positions but had troubles remaining mobile during blizzards. (Which is fine, because normally they are spread all over the map and blizzards ended up isolating their squads forcing them to consolidate a bit more than usual.)

If you honestly took advantage of your opponent hunkering down, you could seize huge swathes of the map during blizzards. It also gave you an advantage if you scouted his position before attacking him. It shook up match up dynamics, putting Ostheer/Americans on their backfoot while giving Soviets/OKW new opportunities for map control.

The original Soviet/Ostheer match up is one of the most interesting in the game during blizzards because of how the factions were designed. Without blizzards the match up is less interesting, and units like the t34/76 had to be buffed significantly. (The soviet tech versatility also got neutered.)

9 Oct 2015, 23:38 PM

Firepits
-Remove mp cost and xp gained by destroying them
-Increase range
-Give it a long cooldown to avoid spamming.

Heavy snow
-It should be able to be cleared by explosives, vehicles, flamers, etc.
-Only reappears during blizzard.
-Conceals units inside, giving them ambush bonus. During normal weather, freezing is slower.
-Retreating units: either they avoid them or they have a lesser movement penalty than normal.

Blizzard
-Less random. Both appearance and duration. RNG is not neccesarily bad BUT huge disparity of result is.
-Ice gets more resistant.

Freezing
-Combat debuffs (accuracy, cooldown, reload)
-Units no longer die to freezing but rather lose health as white phosphorous. Or just make units gets huge RA debuffs instead.
-Increase threshold of heat with veterancy.

Make it so!!!!
+1
10 Oct 2015, 01:39 AM
Patrion 28

Gain vision over your opponent. This can be done through flares or garrisoned halftracks. (Units inside see further than units out in blizzard) Use smoke barrages to make key targets less useful. Use fire pits near the front to warm your troops up before assaulting with pgrens/shock troops. (It takes time to get cold.)

Or just spread to the corners of the map and take territory. Using troop transports you can strike multiple areas of the map very quickly depriving your opponent of territory. Destroying firepits at your opponents natural resources also make recapture more difficult for him. By seizing the initiative, counterattack becomes more difficult since he has to leave the safety of his firepits. Meanwhile you can get back in the halftrack and drive off after he waltzes all over to you and then attack the part of the map he just left.

Soviets in particular were very good in blizzards due to their flare veterancy abilities on the sniper and mortar and their recon ability on t70/t34. Germans however had the advantage of bunkers, earlier halftrack and scout car vet ability detecting infantry.

OKW had the flash light halftrack and kubel wagon vet 1 ability for their own blizzard detection, Americans had smoke rifle nades and fighting positions but had troubles remaining mobile during blizzards. (Which is fine, because normally they are spread all over the map and blizzards ended up isolating their squads forcing them to consolidate a bit more than usual.)

If you honestly took advantage of your opponent hunkering down, you could seize huge swathes of the map during blizzards. It also gave you an advantage if you scouted his position before attacking him. It shook up match up dynamics, putting Ostheer/Americans on their backfoot while giving Soviets/OKW new opportunities for map control.

The original Soviet/Ostheer match up is one of the most interesting in the game during blizzards because of how the factions were designed. Without blizzards the match up is less interesting, and units like the t34/76 had to be buffed significantly. (The soviet tech versatility also got neutered.)

this is all great in 1v1s but most team game maps (what i play) just don't allow that kind of mobility. which is clearly map design but given that those are the most played map types that's probably part of the issue.
10 Oct 2015, 02:10 AM

I had no issue with Coldtech itself, the biggest issue with Coldtech was the crappy maps it was used on with huge ice pits of doom that can make you lose a match to RNG Gods.
10 Oct 2015, 06:10 AM

Hi all. Long time lurker, been playing Relic games since DoW1. I side with Dullahan on this one. A sequel is supposed to branch off from the main game and add features. A sequel is supposed to be diverse, for better or for worse.

This game takes place on the Eastern Front. We have Soviets vsing Wermacht, both sides hindered and affected by the cold. The mechanics of Deep snow, Ice, and Blizzards all added to the harshness that was the eastern front.

By removing things like deep snow and blizzards, you are stripping away what made this game CoH2. You are asking for a VCoH update with soviets and new units. The biggest reason I hear for it's removal is it's "Competitive Scene". I don't mean to be THAT guy, but this game is far from ever having a scene that is taken seriously. Not that the players aren't amazing, but the reasons are

1. Has bugs and optimization no big scene would ever put up with.
2. RTS games have died out in popularity, even the king Starcraft 2 has died down.
3. There isn't enough money to keep a huge scene going.

I didn't find vCoH fun and fascinating because it was "Hyper competitive esports", I found it fun because it was thematic. I loved raining airborne infantry from all sides while assaulting with riflemen from the front, with strafing runs attacking enemy troops. In CoH2, I loved how awful blizzards felt because that WAS the Eastern Front, both sides clawing away at one another during the harsh winter.
10 Oct 2015, 06:57 AM

That's all well and good in theory, but do you have examples of games between two high level players where blizzards promoted this kind of game play?

I liked Cold Tech. For my part, I made extensive use of Jaegers, half-track grenadiers, and other mobile units during blizzards for raiding and capping. One time, our army got smashed in a 2v2, so thoroughly that we were almost certain to lose, but then a blizzard came on while we limped back towards our last VP. Both teams were at about 5 victory points left. The enemy team had just thrown their whole army at the center VP, and hunkered down there. I told my OKW ally to spawn some Jaegers in a house near the top VP. The Jaegers used the blizzard cover to sneak past the enemy units in the way. Then they apped the point. By the time the enemy realized, they didn't have enough time to get through the deep snow and recapture the point, so we won the game (despite having lost almost our entire army in the desperate last battle that just happened).

My ally and I play maybe once a week at most and our ranks have like four or five digits, though. I loved blizzards and Cold Tech but I've never seen a stream of a high level game where blizzards did much more than slow the game down. I got a kick out of running around the map with half-track grenadiers and M3s with infantry, and trying to sneak up on people, but since I've never seen good players focus much of the energy on that, I always attributed it to low level shenanigans. Maybe I'm wrong though.

10 Oct 2015, 07:26 AM

If ones play style catered to blizzards, they did not understand the core mechanics. In order to "take advantage" of cold tech, if that's even the right terminology, because again, when it comes down to combat, a blizzard has, near as makes no difference, 0 bearing on the outcome of a firefight. Blizzards effected logistics, but again, to take advantage of these situations you required two things: vision and mobility, but in any situation, ask anyone, do you want to hamstring yourself during the other 2/3rds of the game that aren't a blizzard by stalling tech, or spreading your economy even thinner by requisitioning weaker or specialist units for the blizzard, ie, half tracks and spotters, that may or may not give you a microscopic edge during a small slice of the game? No, of course not, don't be preposterous. The blizzard only slowed the game down, and did not have any value tactically, because again as you have mentioned, it was not a high risk reward state. Wiping an entire army isn't any more likely simply because it was during a blizzard, and if anything it was more unlikely because these effects will also attry the attacker. So, why take the risk. The cost/benefit analysis just doesn't favour attacking in any scenario.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moreover, if ypur complaints are the game was too slow why did people petition for thngs like more expensive tech costs and slower vp bleed? It was a much faster game before the vCoH crowd convinced Relic to neuter it.

Pace hasn't changed. What has are the windows of opportunity. The changes implemented have slowed down the acceleration, stretching out the game and allowing for more engagements relative to advancements in tech. No longer is the game a rush to heavy armor and then a slug fest for a half hour. The game is more evenly spaced, but the pace at which it plays is still the same.

You didn't have the option of turtling because you'd be way down on VP's. As it is now if you hold one vp and one fuel for the entire game you're guaranteed a king tiger, regardless of what your opponent's larger map presence and vp drain.

Come now, this is hyperbole and you know it.

This is by the by why competitive play is obsessed with squad wipes.

An emphasis on squad wipes is due to the new economy, essentially tied to pop-cap, and as an aside, if you blame this on catering to vCoH, surviability of everything with the exception of vehicles is factors higher than before.

Map control means dick in this game as long as you have fuel.

Map control equates to fuel.

^^^^

but all these arguments are digressions away from the conversation of cold tech.
10 Oct 2015, 08:01 AM
Patrion 28

vp stuff

apparently in the alpha (as in WAY the fuck long time ago) the VP tick rate was similar to dow2. i've played since the beta and as long as i've played it's been the same slower tick rate.

the point being that in dow2 you couldn't let yourself get triple capped or the game would end in a couple of minutes. the vps were actually the most valuable points instead of being the least valuable for 95% the time for 95% of games. dow2 also handle the tech resources differently but that's not as important. personally i'm not really bothered that vps aren't important in dow2 but it does make a difference in game play.
10 Oct 2015, 08:41 AM

apparently in the alpha (as in WAY the fuck long time ago) the VP tick rate was similar to dow2. i've played since the beta and as long as i've played it's been the same slower tick rate.

the point being that in dow2 you couldn't let yourself get triple capped or the game would end in a couple of minutes. the vps were actually the most valuable points instead of being the least valuable for 95% the time for 95% of games. dow2 also handle the tech resources differently but that's not as important. personally i'm not really bothered that vps aren't important in dow2 but it does make a difference in game play.

In the early stages of beta the tick rate was every 3 seconds rather than every 4, which was changed sometime during the later stages of the beta. Slower than DoW2, but 25% faster than what we have now.

It was a nice in between point. As it is now a 2-1 VP cap takes 33 minutes to tick down 500 vp's. A 3-0 cap takes 11 minutes. Even the latter is way too long if you consider that's how long I have to play even if I utterly decimate my opponent if he doesn't leave the game.

Here's an old old game that shows it.
https://youtu.be/83u1ueHfe4k

DoW2 tics every 2 seconds, which means a triple cap ends the game from 500 vp's twice as fast as it does here. (Roughly 5.5 minutes) A 2-1 cap ends it in 8 minutes.

This allowed games to end very quickly with uneven skill matches, and in even skill matches they could go on for 30-45 minutes. As it is now, this is only the case in CoH2 if your opponent has the good sense to leave. The actual win conditions of the game (annhilation, victory points) are both fucking atrociously balanced.

Another thing that slows the game down here is that if my opponent starts capping a VP and I force him off, I have to wait until it completely resets before I can start capping. In Coh1 and DoW2 I could click on it which would immediately reset it and begin capping. (Unless that's in Coh2 too and I just haven't thought to try it since I do all my capping with cap zones?)

10 Oct 2015, 09:09 AM

RIP cold tech, time to move on.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight