Login

russian armor

Sherman Proposal

7 Oct 2015, 00:07 AM

So let's talk about the USF M4A3 Sherman. Most people seem to ignore the tank and even if they do build one, it's strictly for anti-inf purposes. The small penetration buff was a good start for the vehicle so I'm not complaining on that. I have an idea to give it a slightly better chance against armor.

The smoke dischargers are the main issue here.

Looking at the Comet tank, it comes with a smoke round, that is later upgraded to a White Phosphorus round at Vet 2. It can obviously discharge a lot faster whereas the Sherman's takes time to deploy, but can cover a larger area for longer.

Historically, Shermans came equipped with smoke or WP rounds. I believe removing the smoke canister launchers and giving the Sherman the smoke round ability of the Comet (or WP preferably against the Shreck blobs) would make the tank more viable against armor. It can blind the enemy tank and advance with other Shermans to flank or make a quick getaway.

The Sherman would still keep it's versatility and be better able to support advances and have a better surviving chance against armor with this.
7 Oct 2015, 01:26 AM
Patrion 28

i'm not going to talk about the comet rounds until they work reliably. i have only gotten them to work once so far out of a dozen attempts.

as far as the sherman goes, i think it's fine for a med tank, the problem is that USF generally needs units that can fight heavies or superior med tanks (Vs) and the sherman doesn't do that unless you have a blob of them, which is expensive.
7 Oct 2015, 01:38 AM

Most people seem to ignore the tank and even if they do build one, it's strictly for anti-inf purposes.

Most people seem to ignore the tank

it's strictly for anti-inf purposes.

Just no.

The Sherman is for a real in a good spot and USF in general are in a really good spot, I don't see why it needs a change at all.
7 Oct 2015, 01:41 AM
Patrion 27

At the VERY least we should be able to fire the smoke pots without the tank stopping in place FFS.
7 Oct 2015, 02:11 AM

At the VERY least we should be able to fire the smoke pots without the tank stopping in place FFS.

Pretty much this. The sherman is in an excellent spot atm but having to come to a full stop to fire smoke makes the ability tedious to use and often counterproductive if you're attempting to escape from an AT gun or enemy tank.
7 Oct 2015, 02:29 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

1- Be on the move
2- Give order to smoke
3- Immediately order to move
4- ???
5- Profit
7 Oct 2015, 02:36 AM
Donator 11

i'm not going to talk about the comet rounds until they work reliably. i have only gotten them to work once so far out of a dozen attempts.

as far as the sherman goes, i think it's fine for a med tank, the problem is that USF generally needs units that can fight heavies or superior med tanks (Vs) and the sherman doesn't do that unless you have a blob of them, which is expensive.

Good, the WP round is more broken crap from the brits. It doesn't need to be fixed because it lets the comet hard counter every unit in the game.
7 Oct 2015, 02:38 AM
Patrion 28

Good, the WP round is more broken crap from the brits. It doesn't need to be fixed because it lets the comet hard counter every unit in the game.

the WP i've never used.
7 Oct 2015, 02:42 AM
Donator 11

the WP i've never used.

Its just dumb. It lets you disable tanks (WP disables tanks) and it lets you hard counter AT guns. (WP and then the MG will quickly finish it off or the AT gun will have to constantly move thereby rendering it useless.)
7 Oct 2015, 03:34 AM

That seems like it would be pretty OP with the way that infantry squishing works. Toss a smoke pot into a group, charge in and mow everybody down.
7 Oct 2015, 03:46 AM

so you want the best and most cost-effective medium in game to get even better:facepalm:
7 Oct 2015, 04:01 AM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Oct 2015, 03:34 AMWygrif

That seems like it would be pretty OP with the way that infantry squishing works. Toss a smoke pot into a group, charge in and mow everybody down.

It's the same kind of "ease of use" change as letting OKW upgrade their units outside of friendly territory. B-)
7 Oct 2015, 04:19 AM

I think the sherman is fine. Decent anti vehicle, excellent anti infantry. Smoke is a great supporting ability. It's priced just right.

nee
7 Oct 2015, 08:20 AM

On one hand I would agree, but you already have units that can provide smoke cover, including the M8 HMC that can do what you describe.

Giving that to Sherman as well would just mean you don't need those units to do that for you...but then again USF is like the most micro-intensive faction in the game.
7 Oct 2015, 09:17 AM

This, everything else about the tank is fine, for AT there is jackson and Sherman is great infantry support tank.
7 Oct 2015, 09:18 AM
Patrion 14

2 vet 3 shermans with triple reload bulletins(lets pretend bug doesn't exist), radionet, and veterancy faster reload absolutely destroy infantry with HE.

Too bad no one can get vet 3 shermans because the veterancy requirement for that is like forever.
7 Oct 2015, 11:41 AM

why fix the sherman when its not broken??
7 Oct 2015, 12:45 PM

1- Be on the move
2- Give order to smoke
3- Immediately order to move
4- ???
5- Profit

Micro for micro's sake is bad game design.
7 Oct 2015, 15:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Micro for micro's sake is bad game design.

Agree, i'm just giving you the solution.
7 Oct 2015, 15:38 PM

Agree, i'm just giving you the solution.

Alright fair enough, I guess I could of been more eloquent in my response. But I feel that relic made the Sherman stop for the sole purpose of making the game more micro intensive. TBH the only thing I think should be changed with the Sherman M4A3 is this feature.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS