Login

russian armor

Coh 2 small arms ranges confusion

3 Oct 2015, 19:52 PM

Coh 2 small arms Stats shows max, far and near distance But no mid range value. Also the max and far numbers are always the same so it can't be that everything more than near value but less than far is middle range. Also, why do some near values have 0 or -1. Does that mean they can never use those values unless they are touching the other model (in case of 0) and never use the near value in case of -1???

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light.
3 Oct 2015, 20:03 PM

I don't have a ton of time but I'll try to explain as best I can in a short post...

A good general rule of thumb is imagine how a weapon would probably perform in real life.

Also, pretty much any/every weapon does more DPS up close than it does at range - but what is important is the difference in DPS. For example a Grenadier KAR98 will do more overall damage at near than far, but a PPSh will still out DPS it if the PPSh squad gets up close.

With regard to this you can apply the following general ideas to your tactics:

Bolt Action Rifles(Cons, Grens, Infantry Sections, Rifles) tend to have "far" as their most advantageous range. They are best used when standing still. Grens tend to be strongest at max range, Cons like close, Rifles like mid and close, IS perform well at any range as long as you are in cover for the bonus.

Carbine style rifles (Para base rifles, Penal Battalions) are strongest mid and close

Assault Rifles (Sturmpios, PGrens, IR STGs) are great at mid and close. Their high rate of fire also increases their lethality against retreating squads.

SMGs (PPSh, MP40, Thompson) are super good at close but kind of suck outside of close.

LMGs (LMG34, LMG42, DP-28) great at max range, generally have to be stationary to fire.

Anyways...

All small arms fire does the same amount of damage regardless of how far the bullet has had to travel. Reload and burst duration may be based on how close/far the squads are from each other. If my memory serves Sturmpio burst duration at close is significantly higher than at max range.

Also, small arms fire ignores cover if the squads are within 10 range (or maybe it was 5 range?)

My advice would be to check out a guide on how to extract the unit stats from the attribute editor so that you can look up values on the fly. I don't think coh2 stats is kept up to date anymore. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

Hopefully some of this answers some of your questions... I may have misunderstood the sorts of answers you were looking for.
3 Oct 2015, 20:38 PM

The weapons use damage profiles (Rifle, Carbine, Assault Rifle, SMG, LMG) to get their general role, and tweak it from there. There are 3 range values that are used to adjust the damage curve, Near, Mid, and Long. These values are set between a Minimum and Maximum range. For example, Obersoldaten's "Near" range is 0, "Mid" is 25, and "Far" is 35. If a distance between Near is higher than the Minimum, it'll have flat DPS with no change. Same with Long and Maximum, but Near/Min is the one that's important because of how SMG's are set up. For the Shock Troop PPSh, "Near" is 10, "Mid" is 16, and "Far" is 30, so the points between 0-10 and 30-35 are just flat DPS. Between 1-10 is where a Submachine Gun wants to be 100% of the time.

As a general rule of thumb, you can consider Near as 0 - 10, Mid as 10-20, and Long as 25-35. This is usually where the values sit, but it varies from weapon to weapon. 1/3 of your unit's line of sight is about 11 - 12. For perspective these pictures might help. The short lines indicates 5s, long indicates 10s.

3 Oct 2015, 22:56 PM

The weapons use damage profiles (Rifle, Carbine, Assault Rifle, SMG, LMG) to get their general role, and tweak it from there. There are 3 range values that are used to adjust the damage curve, Near, Mid, and Long. These values are set between a Minimum and Maximum range. For example, Obersoldaten's "Near" range is 0, "Mid" is 25, and "Far" is 35. If a distance between Near is higher than the Minimum, it'll have flat DPS with no change. Same with Long and Maximum, but Near/Min is the one that's important because of how SMG's are set up. For the Shock Troop PPSh, "Near" is 10, "Mid" is 16, and "Far" is 30, so the points between 0-10 and 30-35 are just flat DPS. Between 1-10 is where a Submachine Gun wants to be 100% of the time.

As a general rule of thumb, you can consider Near as 0 - 10, Mid as 10-20, and Long as 25-35. This is usually where the values sit, but it varies from weapon to weapon. 1/3 of your unit's line of sight is about 11 - 12. For perspective these pictures might help. The short lines indicates 5s, long indicates 10s.

Isn't the base Molotov range circle like 7 m? So that would be pretty good rule of thumb. I need to get better mental picture of mid range, I know I want to stay mad with LMG and I know I want to be within grenade range with SMG infantry. It's the assault rifle and semi auto rifle k want to make sure is on sweet spot. I thought bullets did same damage regardless of range and it was just accuracy and rate of cool down/aim that changed with distance which seems
To be what Ciez posted but maybe I misunderstand. Regardless it seems like that table gives overall DPS which is what I care about.
4 Oct 2015, 09:18 AM

I think a good way to think about it is that all weapon have a "curve" when it's DPS is plotted on a chart.

For submachine guns/ close quarter weapons, that curve would be steep. At long range, the curve will be low but it increases exponentially as distance decrease.

Bolt action curve will be near flat line, near equal across all distance.

That's my view of it, and I am probably wrong :p
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS