Login

russian armor

Which game should I play first

2 Oct 2015, 20:54 PM

Hi all,
I see lots of options on Steam. I know the British is the newest, but I would also like to try some of the single player options.

Which one would you suggest? Is there a basic version and then you buy the add on?

Thanks

-Capt Davis
2 Oct 2015, 21:10 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

If you are interested in single player, get the base game. That will get you the Soviet campaign, plus Soviets and Wehrmacht for multiplayer. Ardennes Assault is a standalone expansion that is single player *only*, and only USF. If you buy USF, OKW, or Brits there is no single player content.

Hah, I never considered how confusing all of this surely is for someone who has not been paying close attention for 2+ years.

EDIT: and welcome to the site!
2 Oct 2015, 21:16 PM
Honorary Member Badge

I'll point you here:

http://www.coh2.org/news/37043/the-confused-consumer-a-buyer-s-guide-to-coh2

In terms of bang for buck the base game will give you the Soviet Campaign (which is functional, if somewhat controversial), as well as 18 Theatre of War stand alone missions of various types set in 1941.

That should also enable you to play Soviet and Ostheer in multiplayer

If you like that then you can get three more TOW packs that go into 1942 and early 1943 with 5,7 and 10 missions each.

++++++++++++++++++++

Ardennes Assault is an American stand-alone campaign that is very good, though very punishing and unforgiving at the hardest level.

+++++++++++++++++++++

I would suggest starting with the base game, as that should give the biggest bang for the buck and you can acquire the other content if you like the game and want to get more of it.

3 Oct 2015, 05:21 AM
Patrion 15

The most well polished single player experience is without a doubt Ardennes Assault. It might be a little tough for first time players but imo it's the most well done COH2 single player since the original campaign from vCOH.

The base game (Company of Heroes 2) single player campaign is not very well done but might be a decent introduction to the game. I can't speak to that as when I tried it out I already had several hundred hours between vcoh and coh2.

The theater of war missions are fun, and offer a different take on the game, albeit without much backstory and no replay value. These are unlocked by purchasing the base game (Company of Heroes 2).

I will also refer you to the buyers guide that vV suggested in the post above me^
3 Oct 2015, 07:30 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I'm not sure the either of the Campaigns is necessarily a good introduction to multiplayer, as many of the lessons you learn from them will not be applicable.

One of the articles I want to do is on transition training between SP and MP, MP and SP, and large and small MP games
3 Oct 2015, 18:40 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight