Login

russian armor

Matchmaking bullshit vs Jove

3 Oct 2015, 07:20 AM
Patrion 26

So they only beat me because they know the map better, not because they are you know, 500+ ranks higher than I am?

Sounds legit :facepalm::lolol:

With you attitude I doubt you will become better no matter who you play.
3 Oct 2015, 08:48 AM

Permanently Banned

With you attitude I doubt you will become better no matter who you play.

Oke :)

Still your reasoning makes no sense :banana:
3 Oct 2015, 12:01 PM

I'm with those who welcome the chance to learn and get tested when meeting higher ranked players.

Ofc you'll mostly lose. So what? It's only bits and bytes.

OTOH at rare occasions, you'll win. And then it's a party!

I've met high ranked players (in team games) and had that rare winning experience. It's a moral boost. So why not indeed welcome the opportunity?
3 Oct 2015, 13:06 PM

Hi there,

Just found out the Jove I played in automatch was the actual rank 3 Brit player Jove. Now I wouldn't mind playing Jove if I wasn't rank 795 as Ostheer.

How did this even happen? I mean how is this fair?

Edit: rank 796 Kappa, thanks Relic.

I'm ranked 900-1000 as OKW, and ended up stuck playing top 100 players several times. There are a lot of times that fewer than 10 people are looking for 1v1's. If you search long enough, there is a good chance that you'll end up playing someone who is much better than you. It doesn't bother me (but it did result in shattering my delusions of adequacy when I had a six-game winning streak going and ended up auto-matched against Ciez). One way to look at it is that if you save the replay, it is your chance to see what build order and capping order good players use on a particular map.

If it really bothers you, you could always try stopping the automatch search every minute (maybe every half minute). It seems like the biggest imbalances occur when you've been searching a long time.
3 Oct 2015, 17:14 PM
Patrion 310

3 Oct 2015, 17:26 PM

The people making the argument that it's somehow a great honor or some wonderful learning experience are missing the point. It's fundamentally a failure of the matchmaking system to have such a significant imbalance between player skill levels.

Can anything be done about it? No. So it would indeed be wise to try and make the best of it. All I'm saying is A.Schwarzenschnitzel has a valid point.

As with any system, you need enough players distributed across a wide variety of skill levels to work properly.

Although there's a reason the top dozen or so people have inflated win rates. They play a lot of games, and so a large chunk of them are off peak hours where they get easy wins like this.

If the system were in an ideal player environment even the top players would have 50%-60% win rates.
3 Oct 2015, 17:55 PM

We can't fix the system because it's not broken (in this instance, at least). The result we get where the top 10-20 players win 70-90% of the time is just the best possible way for automatch to do what it has to.

All I've been trying to say is that the guy who gets tossed in the ring with the heavyweights through no choice of his own has a right to be upset. Yes, it could be an opportunity. And yes, it's just a match and you could have fun with it as you would any other.

I just wish people would stop forcing their "get better" philosophy onto others in this thread. Some people don't want to prove themselves against the best. Automatch is supposed to pit you in a fair 50/50 match up in an ideal world. It is NOT unreasonable to be upset that this cannot be done all the time, even if you acknowledge that fact that it is impossible.
3 Oct 2015, 23:07 PM
Donator 11

you are top200 or so , u get matched vs top 10 even if ur rank 1500 or 2000. and there is such a big skill gap that both parties wont learn anything from eachother. if that would be the case, every matchmaker in every game would match noobs vs pros. im pretty sure thats why they invented ELO systems, to create fair matchups.

You missed my point.

4 Oct 2015, 05:35 AM
Donator 11

. Automatch is supposed to pit you in a fair 50/50 match up in an ideal world. It is NOT unreasonable to be upset that this cannot be done all the time, even if you acknowledge that fact that it is impossible.

Not quite accurate. Automatch aims to keep players winrate around a mean based on elo, so it actively tries to bring you to 50% with the intent of assigning you the most accurate possible elo number. If you go on a win streak for instance the system will match you against tougher opponents until you "even out" and regress to what it thinks is your skill level. In theory that means the vast majority of the player base should stick just below a 50% winrate, while the very top players are the only ones able to reach 60%+ winrate levels. Unfortunately in practice coh2's player base is not large enough to support a truly representative system so you see top players with 80+% win rates and mediocre players being matched against the very top by default/process of elimination.
4 Oct 2015, 15:42 PM

Not quite accurate. Automatch aims to keep players winrate around a mean based on elo, so it actively tries to bring you to 50% with the intent of assigning you the most accurate possible elo number. If you go on a win streak for instance the system will match you against tougher opponents until you "even out" and regress to what it thinks is your skill level. In theory that means the vast majority of the player base should stick just below a 50% winrate, while the very top players are the only ones able to reach 60%+ winrate levels. Unfortunately in practice coh2's player base is not large enough to support a truly representative system so you see top players with 80+% win rates and mediocre players being matched against the very top by default/process of elimination.

You've confused me a bit. So when you win say, five games in a row, your ELO isn't actually going up each game? Or does your ELO gain per game increase as the streak goes up? Like winning a game at a streak of +12 will have more of an impact than winning at +2?

I thought it was a straight add/subtract with the amount of ELO gained and lost based around the relative ratings of the two players involved, with win streaks being a non-factor.
4 Oct 2015, 15:52 PM

The way i think it works is... while in que... the game will start with a narrow search for people around your skill level.

After 1 min or so... it expands to be within like 500 ranking of your level.

After 5 it puts you vs anyone.

(Also note... that a top 10 player may of been in que for more than 5 mins, so it will put them with anyone). which is why instant pops can be scary :P
5 Oct 2015, 09:39 AM

As with any system, you need enough players distributed across a wide variety of skill levels to work properly.

Although there's a reason the top dozen or so people have inflated win rates. They play a lot of games, and so a large chunk of them are off peak hours where they get easy wins like this.

Yes, the time where you play also matters. If you have the opportunity to play when most of America is off-line, your winning chances are much better because competition is lower.

No disparagement of any particular other countries is intended, but that's how it is in my experience. And I played in vCOH too.
5 Oct 2015, 10:00 AM

Yes, the time where you play also matters. If you have the opportunity to play when most of America is off-line, your winning chances are much better because competition is lower.

No disparagement of any particular other countries is intended, but that's how it is in my experience. And I played in vCOH too.

isnt it the other way around? i always THOUGHT that most top players are european(+ some koreans here and there). didnt know most good players come from america, didnt expect that.
5 Oct 2015, 10:54 AM

I'm happy to get good players against me. Your Rank itself won't go down or only 1-2 ranks. So that's not the whine. It gives me some good training in 1v1s. Or I just ask good players that I know to train me. Sometimes training 1v1s with friends, good clanmates or with friends with high ranks give you some ups in your skills :D
5 Oct 2015, 14:20 PM

isnt it the other way around? i always THOUGHT that most top players are european(+ some koreans here and there). didnt know most good players come from america, didnt expect that.

I have no statistics to prove that. It's just my experience that I have an easier run before ~1600 GMT.

You are right that quite a few of the top players are european or asian. But that's not the necessarily the ones I and others here are talking about. They are ~top 500 which can be tough enough if you are average.

My guess is that while Europe and Asia may have quite a few top players, their player base is still smaller and the average player skill/experience is lower.

Skill and high micro is not a racial trait, mind you. I play against a lot of players with chicken-bone names who have next to no skill and sluggish micro.
5 Oct 2015, 16:47 PM

I think it's an attitude issue.

If you're a true competitor, you see that match against Jove as an opportunity to test yourself.

Yes, the first time you see someone like jove,you'll probably lose in 10 minutes.Try to lose in 15 the next time, then 25, then take him to a 40 minute slugfest until finally you start beating him.

That's how it works. That's how getting better works.

It's like any other competitive sport or activity. You climb the ladder. Till you're the best. You get fucked by the best, until you become one of them.

You really shouldn't stay below rank 500 if you have the proper attitude and desire to improve....And honestly even that isn't hard just practice decent habits till its second nature..

. If you have no desire to do that, then There's something wrong with your competitive side. I suggest not playing 1v1, which is a competitive mode.

And seriously, losing to Jove won't make you instantly contract cancer and make your computer explode... At worse you'll lose a few ladder points.. Seriously just have fun with it.

Nicely written, but do you really think its satisfating to play 5 gams in a row like this : Jove, ihhito,normal player, jove ,normal player, ihhito ,normal player, ihhito , jove

What it give to me ? rage quit at last jove match and good friendship with ihhito (he is actually in army , so dont worry you dont see him for 3 years). And i also learned few thinks , like wiring cover , abusing wire , sandbags ghosts , placing ostheer mine fields tacticaly so opponent wont see signs because their covered by sight blocker , attacking base with leigt , agains attacking base with leigt and last think was , that oshteer sniper is OP and uncounterable as USA (it was before m20 buff and sniper great cloak.)

And lot and lot of frustration (that time i was top 750 - 1000) . Now i get sometimes matched agains them , we play the match , i often loose , but actually i can stand a ground.
6 Oct 2015, 16:07 PM

I got matched against Luvnest while he was streaming this weekend. Rank 555 OKW, against the Rank 5 brit player. Game was over in 5 mins.
6 Oct 2015, 17:41 PM

You get matched up with Jove because Jove was probably waiting for a game for a long arse time. Same with any skilled player. There just aren't the players in the right time zones all the time for all the best players to compete with each other.

I would wager many of the top ranked CoH2 players rarely play even each other due to geographic distribution/time zones.
6 Oct 2015, 18:13 PM

I remember my first placement matches...
Getting rekt, opponent rekt, getting rekt, getting rekt, getting rekt... opponent rekt etc, etc...

11th game with okw was vs vonivan - game over in 5 mins...

Made a thread about it - getting told about "placement Matches"... performing longest facepalm in history...

Sweet memories.

Since then I don´t realy care if I win or lose. If my opponent is too good I know it in the first few minutes of the match and just surrender. If iam too good for him it´s gg very soon and in the rare case of even "skill-level" the match can last for an hour or more.

I know the playerbase is small, so matchmaking can´t work, but I still like to play this game every once in a while and vs bots it´s just not that funny.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★