Login

russian armor

I want to restore two USF vehicles to their original design

29 Sep 2015, 04:39 AM
Donator 11

...but I haven't been able to figure out how. (Although I've been able to figure most things out in the attributes, there's still a lot I don't quite understand.)

I want to:
  • Allow the M8 HMC to fire both directly and indirectly in auto-fire mode (as demonstrated by Relic prior to the release of WFA).
  • Prevent the M15 AA halftrack from firing through its own cab (and/or stop it from turning to face its front toward the target).

I've looked into how to do both of these things without much success. Any help would be much appreciated!
29 Sep 2015, 13:54 PM
Honorary Member Badge

What exactly do you mean by the first point? It is currently set to artillery, so it should already be doing that.

It should already be prevented, due to the left/right limits of 135 degrees.
29 Sep 2015, 17:09 PM
Donator 11

No, in auto fire mode the HMC can only fire directly at a target, i.e. it cannot fire over shot blockers anymore like it could when WFA was first released.

Since the last couple patches, the M15 halftrack is firing through its cab now (and turning to face its front toward the target, instead of its rear), and I read one post here where someone said that this change was "by design" (I think it's related to the removal of a separate anti-air mode).

Edit: Here's the post - it's actually on companyofheroes.com
29 Sep 2015, 17:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Take a look at the projectile, there are a number of things there that might interest you. For example, use_homing_when_no_blocker, collision_land_ignore.

There is also an ignore_shot_blocking in the behaviour section of a weapon.

If that is the case, just make sure the tracking for the weapon in hardpoint 1 is not -180 to 180 for left/right.
29 Sep 2015, 17:37 PM
Donator 11

There must be some other way that they prevented it from firing over shot blockers then, b/c you're right - the projectile it's using for auto-fire is still set up to do that. EDIT: Just tried it in-game with use_homing_when_no_blocker = true and ignore_shot_blocking = false; it seems to shoot over shot-blockers at least some of the time now. So maybe it's good to go?

I know ignore_shot_blocking is used together with piercing = true for the PaK 43 to allow it to fire through shot blockers, but there's no description for ignore_shot_blocking itself. Do you know what this setting does on its own? I don't want the HMC to fire through objects.

With the current 180 degrees left and right, shouldn't the M15 *not* be turning (the entire vehicle, that is, same as a non-turreted halftrack) to face the target? Is there no other setting which affects that behavior?

I wish there was a way to reference earlier versions of the game, to see how Relic did things in the past.
29 Sep 2015, 18:07 PM
Honorary Member Badge

It is hard to say without seeing what the original attributes were like. However, I believe tuning the projectile instead of the weapon is probably your best bet.

I think piercing is the same as ignore_shot_blocking, but for specific things. The only way to find out is to try it.

Set receives_attack_commands off for hardpoints other than 1.
29 Sep 2015, 18:30 PM
Donator 11

Thanks for your help so far!

I've set the max_left/right back to 135 degrees for all 3 weapons. Do I need to have something in ui_setfacing in order to restore the in-game indicator of the M15's firing cone?

Also, would it be possible to have the unit automatically switch to the old _special_aa weapons when targeting an aircraft? If this were possible, I would disable aa_weapon for the main weapon set.
29 Sep 2015, 20:31 PM
Honorary Member Badge

You only need to set the tracking for hardpoint 1, as the others are coaxial to it.

As for the indicator, I believe so.

You could set up an override_weapon_target_prereq_action that changes weapons based on aircraft targets.
29 Sep 2015, 21:00 PM
Donator 11

I gave ui_setfacing the same value used for HMGs and the half-track has the old in-game indicator back.

For the HMC I had to increase the non_collide_start/end_angle to stop it from hitting two-story buildings. Just a tip for anyone wanting to do the same thing I'm doing.

For aircraft targeting, I wonder if an override is really necessary since once set of weapons would only be able to attack ground, and the other set would only be able to attack air. Unfortunately, I have no idea how I would test this. I suppose it would require a custom scenario with occasional enemy aircraft flying over?
29 Sep 2015, 21:11 PM
Honorary Member Badge

You wanted it to automatically switch, correct? Just put the override in the action_apply_ext of the entity, and make sure to require aircraft as the target. Then, just add change weapon actions. You will probably need another override which requires NOT aircraft, and change back to the ground weapons.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★