Login

russian armor

How to make COH2 playable

25 Sep 2015, 22:06 PM

(It should be moved to Lobby i think, my bad.)

Since people are a little lazy and constantly bashing about how hard it is to get this game to work properly (which is reasonable) I want to provide a tip for people like me who's computers are little old or the game engine is not optimized to work properly with their CPUs/GPUs.

My rig:
Phenom 965 BE overclocked to 3.9 GHZ
8 GBs of RAM (1600 MHz CL9)
GTX 660 Gigabyte
Generic HDD
Other stuff is irrelevant.

After messing with game's config file I am able to run 1v1's and 2v2's with stable 60 frames per second.

First, you need to find out which part of your PC is causing the problems. The best way to do that is to download some monitoring software. There are plenty of which to choose like MSI Afterburner, EVGA etc...
Then just simply check what's causing the stuttering.

The problem with in-game options is that they don't give you enough control.If you found the cause of your misery open the configuration_system.lua file (in notepad) to gain absolute control over the game settings.
For me its located in: C:\Users\Jenio\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\configuration_system.lua

Each option should look like this:
[2] =
{
setting = "shadows",
value = 0,
valueType = 2,
},

As i believe for the most settings, u can change the parameter of the value from 0 to 2.
In most scenarios 0 stands for Low, 1 - medium, 2 High. In other scenarios for example v-sync it can mean
0- Off, 1- On, 2-Triple Buffer V-Sync. Some options are different but I'm sure you guys will figure it out.
I didn't go trough entire file so I'm not sure about everything, google is your friend.
In my scenario the problem is the CPU, so what i changed was Shadows, Effects fidelity, Physics,Ambient occlusion and Effects density ( everything to 0, these options are the most cpu heavy if im not wrong).
If your problem is GPU u can tone done pretty much everything else I think, try many scenarios, have fun with it.
All you need to do is just spend some time and mess around with these options.

For Nvidia card users:
I highly recommend activating , adaptive sync if your FPS is somtimes above sometimes below 60FPS.
I'f your GPU is way superior to your CPU and u want to have high quality Physic, force the PhysX on your GPU. Everything is in the Nvidia Control Panel.

coh2-system-performance-guide
Everthing posted here still apllies (I know there is reference about advanced options, but its only a hint.)

That's how i achieved really smooth gameplay combined with decent looks and i have pretty much the worst combo for this game, which is AMD cpu and Nvidia gpu. Before this, I was playing on average of 40 FPS with drops to 20-15 which was really frustraing.

Hope it will help someone.

27 Sep 2015, 04:08 AM

:foreveralone: No pc hardware can defeat the holy optimization this game has.
I got a 970 gtx and have to play medium settings to get at least stable 50-60 fps
6 Oct 2015, 14:24 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

:foreveralone: No pc hardware can defeat the holy optimization this game has.
I got a 970 gtx and have to play medium settings to get at least stable 50-60 fps

I don't get this, i have a GTX 780 and I have AA low, Vsync off, and get 50-60 fps solid with everything else maxxed.
6 Oct 2015, 18:12 PM

I don't get this, i have a GTX 780 and I have AA low, Vsync off, and get 50-60 fps solid with everything else maxxed.

I was talking about 3v3's and 4v4's tough
6 Oct 2015, 18:44 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Yea, I get this performance in all game modes. Ive heard of others with 970's having surprising performance though.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★