Login

russian armor

Is T-34/85 as sad as I think it is?

25 Sep 2015, 05:12 AM

Played a game against napalm in automatch with my brand new advanced warfare commander. Got 2 T-34/85s against his Stug/Pak/PG schreck and while they did pretty good vs Stug they took forever to kill infantry. I was really thinking they would be great generalists and be mobile flankers of tanks and punish infantry. What is the 34/85 good for except sucking a little less than T-34/76? I can attach replay of desired
25 Sep 2015, 05:20 AM

They have alot of HP, good AP and theyre not that bad vs infantry to be honest...
25 Sep 2015, 08:07 AM

It's decent against infantry, definitely better than the T-3/76. For pure wiping power however you need a IS-2, A Replay would be nice to see how you're employing it. A lot of units require micro to be strong, like the 105mm Sherman the T-34/85 needs that micro (or relic may of nerfed it into uselessness.

TL;DR They're good with micro, a replay of the game would be nice.
25 Sep 2015, 08:26 AM

stop me if i'm wrong, but especially with mark target, i think the 34/85 is pound for pound in regards to firepower, maneuverability, and survivability one of the best medium tanks in the game. i would however mention based on my anecdotal experience, it only seems marginally more effective than a PzV against soft targets.
25 Sep 2015, 08:41 AM

Played a game against napalm in automatch with my brand new advanced warfare commander. Got 2 T-34/85s against his Stug/Pak/PG schreck and while they did pretty good vs Stug they took forever to kill infantry. I was really thinking they would be great generalists and be mobile flankers of tanks and punish infantry. What is the 34/85 good for except sucking a little less than T-34/76? I can attach replay of desired

They are not as good as they used to be vs infantry due to new spacing of infantry. The reduction in one shots is a much overdue change but all tanks that relied on main gun for AI may need looking at in the future..
25 Sep 2015, 08:42 AM

So, you got 2 medium generalist tanks against 3 dedicated tank busting units.
The T34/85 is far from sad. I'd say it's the best soviet tank after the IS-2.
How it fares against infantry is 90% dependent on the terrain, which is a bummer, but if you learn how and where the shots will land you'll have a different experience.
25 Sep 2015, 09:27 AM

So, you got 2 medium generalist tanks against 3 dedicated tank busting units.
The T34/85 is far from sad. I'd say it's the best soviet tank after the IS-2.
How it fares against infantry is 90% dependent on the terrain, which is a bummer, but if you learn how and where the shots will land you'll have a different experience.

Can you elaborate more on the terrain issue?

Just want to see if anyone here finds that T34/76 is still worth producing. If yes, under what circumstances?
25 Sep 2015, 09:38 AM

Permanently Banned

Just want to see if anyone here finds that T34/76 is still worth producing. If yes, under what circumstances?

I find it worth producing. I just make 3 or 4 or them and swarm the field.
25 Sep 2015, 09:41 AM

T34/85's are probably in top 3 best tanks so wouldn't say it's bad
25 Sep 2015, 12:01 PM

t 34\85 is awesome and one of the most cost-effective units in game/
it's cheap - enough mp for sov and 130F
high HP - with german pen, armor less then KV level is pointless but hp...
it can take 5 KT shots(E8 - 4,34\76 only 3)
good Vs infantry
good DPS
awesome vet - RoF and speed is something you need against germans
(also capture points is good in raids)
with soviet army you have good recon and support for him(mortar vison shot -> kat and su85 deal with pack\stug -> roll in
good synergy with commanders - for example advanced warfare commander: you know what enemy will bring and you have hard hiting\fast moving con... and they can rep your 34\85... and you cna scare some pak with il2 flare
only sad thing - you need commander for main soviet tank and every german can have panter... more then 25 000 t34\85 versus less then 6000 panters
25 Sep 2015, 13:20 PM

It's decent against infantry, definitely better than the T-3/76. For pure wiping power however you need a IS-2, A Replay would be nice to see how you're employing it. A lot of units require micro to be strong, like the 105mm Sherman the T-34/85 needs that micro (or relic may of nerfed it into uselessness.

TL;DR They're good with micro, a replay of the game would be nice.

Will post the next game I played where the tanks seemed to do better. I do love how fast they are and they seem to have more health than the 34/76 how does it HP and armor compare stat wise?
25 Sep 2015, 13:23 PM

stop me if i'm wrong, but especially with mark target, i think the 34/85 is pound for pound in regards to firepower, maneuverability, and survivability one of the best medium tanks in the game. i would however mention based on my anecdotal experience, it only seems marginally more effective than a PzV against soft targets.

Definitely agree in conjunction with Mark target they are amazing. Yesterday in 2v2 I used mark target and 2 34/85's to destroy a KT with no help from AT guns or anything else.
25 Sep 2015, 13:24 PM

Yes please elaborate what terrain is better for this tank and why
25 Sep 2015, 13:24 PM

I'm not 100% sure how things are, but this is the general idea I got, by reading here in the forums, but also from experience:
Tanks tend to shoot over their targets, because of how scatter/accuracy works. This practically means that it's easier to hit a unit that is moving away from the tank, and it's easier to miss a unit that is moving towards the tank.
This is also the reason (I think :P) that you see shots that miss the target and fly 3 screens away on terrain that is slopped downwards as you move away from the tank (if that makes any sense).
So, generally, you'll see that your tanks perform better against infantry if the terrain is slopped upwards.

edit:
From cruzz's The more you know thread:

Scatter

A bit on scatter...

Scatter has two components, horizontal and vertical

Horizontal scatter is determined by angle_scatter, and is simply the amount of degrees that the round can deviate from the target position. Multiply by distance to target to get how far horizontally your round can be off from the target.

Vertical scatter is determined by distance_scatter_max, distance_scatter_offset and distance_scatter_ratio. Distance_scatter_ratio is the important bit here and works like angle except vertically. So again multiply by distance. The result will be capped by distance_scatter_max, in case the range*ratio value would be higher.

Distance_scatter_offset will determine the percentage of rounds that over or undershoot. As 0 means an even distribution in the area, a value of 0.57 (which is also the highest overshot in the game) like on the IS2 means that 50+0.57*50 = 78.5% of shots overshoot. This is why standing in front of shotblocking objects and thus letting overshot rounds hit you is a particularly bad move against IS2. No weapon used by a unit actually has a negative value here, everything is either neutral (mortars) or overshoots to some extent (everything else). As such you should generally go towards the thing shooting at you if you want to dodge a shot.

As an example for the soviet 82mm mortar, barraging at range 53 (midpoint as min 25 max 80), your barrage area will be 0.08(angle)*53 = 4.24 horizontal and 0.075(ratio) * 53 = 3.975 vertical. Most weapons don't have much of a difference in vertical and horizontal scatter so you can just ignore the difference in numbers.
This is a bit smaller than the area shown on the barrage reticule ingame, which starts off at 3.75 at 25 and ends up at 7 at 80, while actually the barrage area will start off at 2 and end up at 6.4. Generally speaking very few targeting reticules are completely accurate and almost never take veterancy bonuses to scatter etc. into account. Some like the Ostheer mortar barrage at 14 max (actual: 7.2) are just ridiculously off.
25 Sep 2015, 15:55 PM

Thanks. Love Cruzz; he should get paid for what he does
26 Sep 2015, 17:47 PM

Near pen is 160... that's far from good.
aaa
26 Sep 2015, 18:02 PM

t3485 is sad. No smoke no speed bust makes him inferior to almost all coresponding axis tanks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 55
unknown 19
Germany 11
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %