Login

russian armor

Resurrecting Underrated Commanders

24 Sep 2015, 20:48 PM

Hey guys i open this topic to hear your ideas about which commanders you think UP or rarely used and how to get best out of it with some brainstorm here! For example German Infantry doctrine is the one that bugs me so much like its so munitions hungry so how to utilize its abilities best?
25 Sep 2015, 06:20 AM

At one point I was trying and trying to make use of the German Infantry Doctrine but I just couldn't utilize it to the max since all the off maps are pretty bad, I was able to win matches but the commander had very little to do with it :guyokay:
25 Sep 2015, 19:18 PM

Having used the Ostheer infantry commander extensively during the Great Balance Fiasco (Tm) its easy to see why it is considered the worst commander in this game. It sucks utterly. Osttruppen can be somewhat useful, and frag bombs are situational if overpriced, the rest is just blergh.
26 Sep 2015, 11:56 AM

not only the infantry doctrine btw any commander that is rarely seen and ideas to utilize them are welcome i just gave it as an example and my main tryhard interest at the moment it could be conscripts support tactics or nkvd or anything else you can think and thanks for you opinions guys
26 Sep 2015, 14:34 PM
Honorary Member Badge

There was the tiering system:

http://www.coh2.org/guides/33767/commander-tiers

Which I will admit is now outdated after the various changes however of the ones that were in Tier 4 and 5:

okwokw

Elite Armoured - No comment as I haven't tried it since the changes

sovietssoviets

Anything without Call Ins has been de facto buffed by changes to their tech structure and capping of Heavy Tanks

Defensive - I have seen people make good use of this where their intent is to take an area and then dig in very hard. However it does not scale at all so if the game goes later they may be outmatched

Reserve Army - Given that Irregulars are now AT Partisans that's enough to make it good by itself. Further PPSH and Con buffs in this patch mean that you can spam AT Partisans whilst activating Rapid Conscription to back them up with Cons without suffering too much MP bleed and still get the ML-20 built. Not tried this myself yet but I have seen it done

Conscript Support - Cons have been buffed, see above.

Guard Rifle Combined - Has Con buffs, but the Rapid Conscription to enable you to take heavy losses and not as good as Combined Arms

NKVD - Radio Intercept and Recon become very good when you get an arranged team that talks to each other. Propoganda counters Axis infantry and sometimes team weapons. Anti-Infantry is still better however

Partisans - Went straight to really really good and post-hotfix are still a powerful commander

Shock - Very expensive in MP

Soviet Industry - Not tried it since patch, but with cheaper T-34/76s and the M5 now being useful this could be interesting

usfusf

Mechanised - Bleh

ostheerostheer

See also:

http://www.coh2.org/guides/31838/ostheer-101the-consolidated-guide-to-common-commanders

Defensive - No, its still hard to use as the main business is siting your PAK-43 and your signature later game ability is essentially defensive so you have no doctrinal offensive support. OKW Fortifications does this better and Ostheer have better PAK-43 commanders

Infantry - Expensive, the AFO might help you in early mortar battles versus Brits but again there are other and better ways to get that

Mechanised - Only Commander with Spotting Scope and Artillery combo so may be useful now on that basis alone

Encirclement - No comment

Festung Armour - It's better than defensive at being defensive and has some offensive capability

Festung Support - Only way to get an MHT in Common and has the Artillery Piece as well. Actually seeing this now in a lot of loadouts to counter Brits

Jaeger Infantry - Everything people have said about Infantry is true about this too, though this is more of a fencing and finesse commander

Storm - This a darkhorse pick for being under-rated and underused right now.
It has the Riegel 43 for stopping dead British armour, either early Centuar or late game Crocs and it has artillery and bomb strike for breaking stuff down. It also has Camo so your infantry can scout for same

6 Oct 2015, 01:16 AM

There was the tiering system:

http://www.coh2.org/guides/33767/commander-tiers

Which I will admit is now outdated after the various changes however of the ones that were in Tier 4 and 5:

okwokw

Elite Armoured - No comment as I haven't tried it since the changes

sovietssoviets

Anything without Call Ins has been de facto buffed by changes to their tech structure and capping of Heavy Tanks

Defensive - I have seen people make good use of this where their intent is to take an area and then dig in very hard. However it does not scale at all so if the game goes later they may be outmatched

Reserve Army - Given that Irregulars are now AT Partisans that's enough to make it good by itself. Further PPSH and Con buffs in this patch mean that you can spam AT Partisans whilst activating Rapid Conscription to back them up with Cons without suffering too much MP bleed and still get the ML-20 built. Not tried this myself yet but I have seen it done

Conscript Support - Cons have been buffed, see above.

Guard Rifle Combined - Has Con buffs, but the Rapid Conscription to enable you to take heavy losses and not as good as Combined Arms

NKVD - Radio Intercept and Recon become very good when you get an arranged team that talks to each other. Propoganda counters Axis infantry and sometimes team weapons. Anti-Infantry is still better however

Partisans - Went straight to really really good and post-hotfix are still a powerful commander

Shock - Very expensive in MP

Soviet Industry - Not tried it since patch, but with cheaper T-34/76s and the M5 now being useful this could be interesting

usfusf

Mechanised - Bleh

ostheerostheer

See also:

http://www.coh2.org/guides/31838/ostheer-101the-consolidated-guide-to-common-commanders

Defensive - No, its still hard to use as the main business is siting your PAK-43 and your signature later game ability is essentially defensive so you have no doctrinal offensive support. OKW Fortifications does this better and Ostheer have better PAK-43 commanders

Infantry - Expensive, the AFO might help you in early mortar battles versus Brits but again there are other and better ways to get that

Mechanised - Only Commander with Spotting Scope and Artillery combo so may be useful now on that basis alone

Encirclement - No comment

Festung Armour - It's better than defensive at being defensive and has some offensive capability

Festung Support - Only way to get an MHT in Common and has the Artillery Piece as well. Actually seeing this now in a lot of loadouts to counter Brits

Jaeger Infantry - Everything people have said about Infantry is true about this too, though this is more of a fencing and finesse commander

Storm - This a darkhorse pick for being under-rated and underused right now.
It has the Riegel 43 for stopping dead British armour, either early Centuar or late game Crocs and it has artillery and bomb strike for breaking stuff down. It also has Camo so your infantry can scout for same

Nice write up. On the storm doctrine, do you feel it can be very effective since they changed the camo first strike bonus into increased accuracy instead of damage? Also I would like to try this commander again but I feel like the additional micro of camo for them would be too taxing if I ever use hold fire which is what I would want to do with PG for instance in order to let enemy get into mid range before opening fire in the sweet spot of my range.
6 Oct 2015, 01:45 AM

I swore I could make the USF Reconnaissance commander work.

I was wrong.

When I think about utopian scenarios like this I go against the popular and reasonable opinion that armies should be balanced and competitive and commanders should add flavour. When CoH2 was announced I thought that a commander would force you to play a certain way, and the game was going to be asymetrically balanced like a card game, relying on counter picks, maybe Blitzkrieg 3 is the game for me...
6 Oct 2015, 10:35 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Nice write up. On the storm doctrine, do you feel it can be very effective since they changed the camo first strike bonus into increased accuracy instead of damage? Also I would like to try this commander again but I feel like the additional micro of camo for them would be too taxing if I ever use hold fire which is what I would want to do with PG for instance in order to let enemy get into mid range before opening fire in the sweet spot of my range.

Thank you.

Unfortunately I haven't tried Storm recently so I can't comment other than theory crafting for the OPs request

However looking over that list made me think that this is something people could make work.

Sadly I've got other stuff to be working on that I can't give it a go myself.

6 Oct 2015, 10:40 AM

Most of the doctrines that are on the list are still very viable. 1 change in the unit can fuck up the complete commander choise :P from 1st pick to no go. See Soviet industry or B4 commander doctorine.
8 Oct 2015, 13:48 PM

how do I get the soviet defensive doctrine? I remeber reading that I need to sign up to the official forum to get it, not sure what that means.
8 Oct 2015, 15:51 PM
Honorary Member Badge

I believe that you go to the Official Forums and Sign Up, give them your email and you get a code for the DLC

http://www.coh2.org/topic/10710/how-to-resend-an-email-for-new-defensive-commanders
8 Oct 2015, 15:52 PM
Honorary Member Badge

8 Oct 2015, 16:02 PM

I believe that you go to the Official Forums and Sign Up, give them your email and you get a code for the DLC

http://www.coh2.org/topic/10710/how-to-resend-an-email-for-new-defensive-commanders

It worked. You have to sign up "in game" though and not on the forum.
8 Oct 2015, 16:03 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Cool

Thank you
20 Oct 2015, 19:53 PM

It worked. You have to sign up "in game" though and not on the forum.

same deal for OKW defensive community commander? what u mean in game sign up?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★