Login

russian armor

Rome 2 total war

18 Sep 2014, 07:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Sep 2014, 06:29 AMMVwhine
I'm curious as to the outcome as well especially with the release of the Emperor Edition.

I would say that now it is better than rome 1 = to meveivl 2 and slightly worse than shogun 2 (with all patches) but the graphics are MUCH better now
18 Sep 2014, 09:42 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Emperor Edition is best patch!
18 Sep 2014, 15:52 PM

Yea, how is this title now? Much curious.
18 Sep 2014, 16:31 PM

(Based on beta, which I doubt differs much from the release version of emperor's edition):

It's definitely better. But it's still the same fundamentally very flawed campaign play with some of the rougher edges smoothed out.

AIs can kinda do a siege battle now, but are still so inept that 3 or 4 elite infantry will easily defeat two full stacks from them.

Politics matters more, but largely just boils down to luck as you have no way of knowing what outcome decisions will get, and gaining support for your faction is largely a function of actually getting general recruits from your faction, if you don't, you can't do much short of immediately stopping all wars.

AIs are very passive again, you never have to worry about getting into a war you didn't start after first 15 turns.

Beelining to higher tech units is still the #1 strat, AI simply can't handle them. Largely doesn't matter what you build in provinces now with the relaxed squalor and negative food, economy bonuses still too small to matter, so it's safest bet just to spam buildings that give happiness so you can permanently run higher taxes.

Actually winning a campaign is still a huge grind because even after you've become a huge empire with more provinces than the next 5 largest combined, you're still only halfway through the victory goals and have to grind through armies of levy spearmen for several hours if you want to "win".

If you thought Rome 2 was ok but really buggy at release, this version is probably just what you wanted. If you thought Rome 2 had fundamentally issues with its systems and that those needed to be completely rewritten for it to work as well as say Shogun 2 did, this release does not do much to fix that.
19 Sep 2014, 08:38 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

I think the game got quite better now with the Emperor Edition but I share Cruzz's opinion.

I'd say it's worth buying it now especially if you are up to play it modded.

I tried for quite a while this mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?630814-Divide-et-Impera-%28Divide-amp-Rule%29-Main-Thread

With that mod everything is in general much better, from graphics to performance to AI (much better) and combat system. At the highest difficoulties the AI is very aggressive and the game gets pretty damn hard.
Worth playing it at least once to see the difference!

That said, the new basic Rome 2 is still way better than the one released in september :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★