Login

russian armor

Battlefield Awareness Issues

11 Sep 2015, 15:32 PM

Hello Community,

i have a question for you.
But first let me explain my problem. :snfQuinn:

I play only teamgames, but all of them (2v2,3v3,4v4) just randomly what the matchmaking will send me into.

I dont play 1v1 because im not that good player and always loose 1v1 games.:hansRAGE:
What i learned from 1v1 streams is that you have to spread your units in 1v1 gamemode across the map, so 1 squad is capping left vp with mg, other 2 squads are right side, etc.

In teamgames i have the issue that when i do this, i send my units in different directions to help my teammates at a point they may have lost, or just put mg for teammates vp and so on and then i forget my unit and its get wiped. and this happens for a lot of my squads in most games.

Is it maybe better to just send my force everytime together and have my army-focus on one side to the point i want to support/attack?, so i dont lose so many squads?
I imagined this becouse i see many player doing this when i play against them, they always send their entire army to attack.
But i tried not to do this because ive been told its not good and nooby to do this.

TL;DR:

When i play teamgames and want to "organize" my army, should i place my army alongside one side of the map or should i spread my units across the map where they are needed, for example teammate needs mg left and other teammate needs at-gun in the mid. if think its better to send troops where they are needed, but then i cant remember what unit i send where and i loose a lot uunits.

Can i improve here or is this just because im a bad/slow player?

ANY help/advice is welcome thank you guys and im very sorry for my english but i hope you understood what i mean.:snfBarton:

Rekkettenn
11 Sep 2015, 15:44 PM

Two things that came to my mind when I was reading your post
1) Have you tried using control groups? Doing so will allow you to quickly look at what they are doing, just by double-tapping group number.
2) Try looking at the minimap as often as you can (like every couple of seconds). Checking a tactical map is also a very good idea to help you keep your awareness on what is going on.
11 Sep 2015, 15:46 PM

It's like most things you want to get good at ... study and practise. Watch the icons in the top corner, the retreat button is your best friend. I'm just an average slugger and I hope to get better as well. Some players take to the game like a duck to water other like me have to slug in the hours to get it. Do try 1v1 ... it has lots to teach you.
11 Sep 2015, 16:03 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

In 3v3 and 4v4,even the very best sometimes struggle keep up with all the shit happening sometimes when their units are spread out across a huge map against 3-4 other players that are only focused on one area. My advice there,is to keep your stuff in a "lane" of the map,if you find yourself overwhelmed micro wise.

If you wanna get better at 2v2 though,imo,play more 1v1. Practice practice practice

1v1 skills(Especially micro skills) translate to 2v2 very well,and once you master micro,it then turns to being about working with your teammate to be good in 2v2.

but 3v3 4v4 skillsets are almost completely different from 1v1 and 2v2 skillset,as they are mostly just teamwork skills,not micro skills,if that makes sense.

Have you watched/tried these tips?

http://www.coh2.org/guides/15956/tip-of-the-week-6-game-awareness
http://www.coh2.org/guides/16481/tip-of-the-week-7-capturing-sectors
http://www.coh2.org/guides/14159/tip-of-the-week-4-listening-through-the-fog-of-war
11 Sep 2015, 16:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2015, 15:44 PMKuprix
Two things that came to my mind when I was reading your post
1) Have you tried using control groups? Doing so will allow you to quickly look at what they are doing, just by double-tapping group number.
2) Try looking at the minimap as often as you can (like every couple of seconds). Checking a tactical map is also a very good idea to help you keep your awareness on what is going on.

1: yes i use ctrl groups for all my units, i use a mouse with some buttons at side and i use them as following:

1 - Tanks
2 - Tank destroyers
3 - Infantry
4 - Mortar
5 - HMG
6 - Light Vehicle
7 - Sniper
8 - Artillery
9 - PAK
0 - Pioneers

i also use every ability with hotkey now and it works so far.

2: I think thats a big problem i have. I want to controll everything, but i am too slow i think and then i go full tunnelvision and forget to check minimap and unit icons. I tried to use tacmap too but mostly in teamgames i cant read anything out of it because of so much stuff on it.

My advice there,is to keep your stuff in a "lane" of the map,if you find yourself overwhelmed micro wise.

Okay ill try to keep my force more together i think it will help me.
But in some games i was insulted with noob, idiot, etc. for having my units at 1 tactical point, at 1 vp for example. when i was switching to teammates place for support, the enemy capped all the territory back.

so im often confused where i should focus and what to capture/hold.

Have you watched/tried these tips?

http://www.coh2.org/guides/15956/tip-of-the-week-6-game-awareness
http://www.coh2.org/guides/16481/tip-of-the-week-7-capturing-sectors
http://www.coh2.org/guides/14159/tip-of-the-week-4-listening-through-the-fog-of-war

yes thanks i watched/read every replay/guide on this forum

1v1 skills(Especially micro skills) translate to 2v2 very well,and once you master micro,it then turns to being about working with your teammate to be good in 2v2.

okay i will try 1v1 again but i suck so bad at those games i only won a handful games and all of those wins were versus very bad players.

i think my micro is not good, but not bad. i often struggle to multitast in those games... so where to go now, what to cap now, which unit to send where to do what etc... i try to improve but mostly i get insulted and not givin tips what i do wrong or what i could done better. i try to do some games and then maybe upload a replay
11 Sep 2015, 17:39 PM
Honorary Member Badge

There is a reason why most RW armies are on a triangular formation, it's because there is an upper limit on the number of subordinate units a commander can keep track of.

It's really more than 3, but varies from individual to individual, however if you are losing track of all your units it's a sign that your attention is too divided.

In 1v1 you have to worry about:

All your units

All the enemy units

All the points

If you spread out across the whole map in 4v4 you now have:

4 x As many enemy units

3 x New Allied units

All the points

Your own units

Which is about 3 times as much workload to keep track of which should be enough to account for your issues in microing everything

The other thing is that by spreading out in such a manner, you probably wouldn't be bringing enough force to each battle in order to make a difference.

Further, if you have sent units to the other side of the map it takes them a long time to get there and a long time to retreat - which means your field presence is diminished and you become less effective

Blobbing is noobish (sometimes), concentrating your force isn't.

++++++++++++++++

Most, but not all 4v4 battles fall into clear sides. City 17 being a good example of that, as it often turns into 2 x 2v2. Helping and cooperating on 'your' side is generally better than spreading around.

As you get better "reading" what is happening in the game and keeping track of what your teammates are up to becomes more important and easier. It might be that the reason you are your teammate have won where you are is because you were only up against one player, in which case you need to make sure your teammates elsewhere don't get overwhelmed because they might be facing 3 v 2

11 Sep 2015, 17:58 PM

wow that was written very understandable and answered my question very good thank you much for this!

11 Sep 2015, 19:29 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

so im often confused where i should focus and what to capture/hold.
A replay would help with visualizing what youre talking about better..

okay i will try 1v1 again but i suck so bad at those games i only won a handful games and all of those wins were versus very bad players.
test yourself. No one will insult/blame you for losing in 1v1. You can only improve.

i think my micro is not good, but not bad. i often struggle to multitast in those games... so where to go now, what to cap now, which unit to send where to do what etc... i try to improve but mostly i get insulted and not givin tips what i do wrong or what i could done better. i try to do some games and then maybe upload a replay
Yeah, A replay is golden here to identify and best solve your main issue.
14 Sep 2015, 19:35 PM

thank you guys for the helping, i followed your tips in my latest games and i noticed improvements, i use tactical map now more frequently and it helps.

thank you and pls continue helping scrubs like me! awesome community
20 Sep 2015, 02:00 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Excellent
21 Sep 2015, 06:27 AM

Most, but not all 4v4 battles fall into clear sides. City 17 being a good example of that, as it often turns into 2 x 2v2. Helping and cooperating on 'your' side is generally better than spreading around.

As you get better "reading" what is happening in the game and keeping track of what your teammates are up to becomes more important and easier. It might be that the reason you are your teammate have won where you are is because you were only up against one player, in which case you need to make sure your teammates elsewhere don't get overwhelmed because they might be facing 3 v 2

I might add that, in lieu of battlefield conditions that are always diverse, breaking into asymmetrical sides in a 4v4 usually means one side has an advantage, usually the side with the margin advantage

See, when there's a 2v1 and a 2v3 going on, the margin of the 2v1 is 100%. But the 3v2 is 50%. That means that, generally, 2 players can hold 3 longer than 1 player can hold two. And it just makes sense when you think about it. Moving indirect fire and support weapons dynamically around a center point or two can hold on for awhile if you're only outnumbered 3-2. But 2-1 you simply cannot win any engagement sans a royal fuckup.

So create 2v1s!
23 Sep 2015, 17:59 PM
Patrion 27

I just had to laugh for a second there. Your TL: DR is almost as long as the main text :P
28 Sep 2015, 10:02 AM

I think thats a big problem i have. I want to controll everything, but i am too slow i think and then i go full tunnelvision and forget to check minimap and unit icons. I tried to use tacmap too but mostly in teamgames i cant read anything out of it because of so much stuff on it.

If you think that the tac map is to messy, have you tried to put on player colors? It will put all players in different colors so its easier to keep track on the map
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★