Login

russian armor

Conscripts Advice

9 Sep 2015, 19:04 PM

Hi all,

I have always strugled with the red army. I think this is simply down to my misuse of conscripts. Whats your advice when using them?:

Keep at long range?
Always attack with 2 squads?
Any upgrades essential?
Buy time with conscripts until better units come out?

Any advice apritiated.

Cheers
aaa
9 Sep 2015, 19:14 PM

Cons best range is medium. Guard motor, 3 cons 1 guards ussualy at least 1 heavy mortar. The rest depends on map and oponent.
9 Sep 2015, 19:34 PM

Conscripts are actually my favorite unit in the game. Low cost, low reinforcement cost, OORAH makes them effective at rushing armor and swarming AT nades or flanking team weapons and popping molotovs.

Individually, they don't have a whole lot of damage output or durability late game, but if you move them as a group (3 Conscript squads roaming together), especially when they pick up some veterancy, they dish out some solid DPS at close to mid range when focusing fire.

They have relatively low MP bleed - the trick to Conscripts is to use them aggressively, let them take losses, but don't let them get wiped.
9 Sep 2015, 19:40 PM

Permanently Banned
I always use them in combination with the ppsh package. always let them cap around the field and whilst capping build sandbags so they get green cover. Get mollies during the later stages of the game to surprise the enemy and use the at nades in combination with aggressive mining and good at gun placement.

Most of the time I use them from behind cover or as a capping/harassment unit. Also I use them to reinforce everything I can find that is in need of reinforcement.
10 Sep 2015, 16:09 PM

Conscripts have a pretty bad accuracy at long range, the closer you are the better they perform. Conversely grenaders perform better long range so don't give them that advantage and close the gap.

You should make it a habit of useing two squads of conscripts for early game engagements. Or at least support them with something like an mg. A single squad of cons vs grens, grens will win in a fair fight.

Upgrades like the ppsh's arnt very good. You essentially trade there subpar medium range for better close range. Basically making them into crappy assault units. It's far better to leave that sort of thing to shock troops. Anti tank rifles don't scale well into late game so and there are better anti tank solutions for the soviets. AT grenades are a must, they are lethal to vehicles and light armor and damages engines on top of that. You don't need to get them right away. Hold off on buying them until there first vehicle hits the front. There's no need to waste fuel an manpower on buying them preemptively. Molotovs don't work very well early game due to how easily they are avoided but can be great late game; with everything going it's easy to kill idel squads with it if you opponent is distracted with other things.

Don't forget to build sandbags. Green cover can be hard to find late game with all the bombardment.

10 Sep 2015, 16:48 PM
Senior Editor Badge

@OP
You can always upload replays of your games and post a link in the USSR strategies area, asking for help! It can be very very useful because people get to see exactly what you're doing instead of debating in theory. :)
18 Sep 2015, 18:56 PM

ppsh package more viable now after patch?
aaa
19 Sep 2015, 10:43 AM

ppsh package more viable now after patch?

i think it only make cons weaker overall as a combat unit. So no its not viable
19 Sep 2015, 11:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2015, 10:43 AMaaa

i think it only make cons weaker overall as a combat unit. So no its not viable

I haven't checked the numbers yet but based on the patch notes PPSH upgrade should now be a direct buff now as opposed to before where it decreased cons dps at mid-long range
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★