Login

russian armor

Community effort to create native language option

6 Sep 2015, 02:07 AM

Hey all, so I had this idea that maybe Relic would be open some volunteer community members helping create separate .sga files for each faction so that Relic doesn't have to do the grunt work of separating every voice line. That way, we can finally have a native language option! I imagine the reason Relic hasn't done it already is just because of the sheer tedium and time consuming nature of the task, but that can be alleviated with some volunteers.

If anyone else is interested along with Relic, of course. :D
6 Sep 2015, 05:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Sep 2015, 02:07 AMKothre
Hey all, so I had this idea that maybe Relic would be open some volunteer community members helping create separate .sga files for each faction so that Relic doesn't have to do the grunt work of separating every voice line. That way, we can finally have a native language option! I imagine the reason Relic hasn't done it already is just because of the sheer tedium and time consuming nature of the task, but that can be alleviated with some volunteers.

If anyone else is interested, of course. :D

if you or someone you know has contact connections with relic please by all means send this proposal you have in mind to them in order to get approval im sure they would like to be notified first before any of us try to do anything with the game files if you catch my drift. i can do my part by spreading the message out to the other forum if it will help recruit people who have the skills you require
6 Sep 2015, 06:51 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Which languages are currently available and which languages do you hope to add?

If memory serves, the game is localized for English, Russian, German, Spanish, and perhaps one more language that I can't recall at the moment.
6 Sep 2015, 06:55 AM

Which languages are currently available and which languages do you hope to add?

If memory serves, the game is localized for English, Russian, German, Spanish, and perhaps one more language that I can't recall at the moment.

kothre and i are meaning to say is we would like to have the units speaking in their native langauge (ex. Russians speaking in Russian or Germans speaking in German) that would add authenticity to the game instead of hearing the corny english language we all know and love
6 Sep 2015, 07:55 AM

What I'm talking about is Germans speaking German and Russians speaking Russian, while Americans and Brits continue speaking English regardless of which language you're actually running the game in. Currently this is not feasible because all the voice files for the different languages the game already has are lumped into one .sga file, whereas in the original game, each faction had their own file, so it was easy to swap out which file each faction used.
6 Sep 2015, 08:06 AM
Donator 11

yeeeah! pls give us this option... I would be so so happy!
6 Sep 2015, 08:27 AM

yeeeah! pls give us this option... I would be so so happy!

do you know ppl who have connections/contacts with relic if so pls do your part! if u can im doing my part by spreading the word out know your role is wat i always say!
6 Sep 2015, 08:27 AM
Donator 11

+1

Would love to have this kind of imersion. Loved it already in coh1 when I could hear American voices through the fog of war when playing axis.
6 Sep 2015, 08:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Sep 2015, 07:55 AMKothre
What I'm talking about is Germans speaking German and Russians speaking Russian, while Americans and Brits continue speaking English regardless of which language you're actually running the game in. Currently this is not feasible because all the voice files for the different languages the game already has are lumped into one .sga file, whereas in the original game, each faction had their own file, so it was easy to swap out which file each faction used.

as i said before you might want find a way to contact relic for permission before you commit to this project im quite positive they will give you the go-ahead because it will take a load off the relic dev team's back and many people are requesting for it so it's a win-win in my book
6 Sep 2015, 09:31 AM
Donator 11

do you know ppl who have connections/contacts with relic if so pls do your part! if u can im doing my part by spreading the word out know your role is wat i always say!

Yeah I could tell them...

I also created a thread in the alpha forums.. maybe it is on their to-do list :)
6 Sep 2015, 09:52 AM

As far as I can tell it probably wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to add a new mixed language: add it to languages.lua, add a new line for that in the unit .bcs files (aef/british copy the existing english line, okw/german copy existing german line, soviets copy existing russian line) and then make new SoundSpeechx.sga files containing the right files.

Whatever procedure steam requires for adding a new language option into the game settings would probably be more work than how much effort is needed with the game files.
6 Sep 2015, 09:55 AM
Donator 11

6 Sep 2015, 18:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Sep 2015, 09:52 AMCruzz
As far as I can tell it probably wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to add a new mixed language: add it to languages.lua, add a new line for that in the unit .bcs files (aef/british copy the existing english line, okw/german copy existing german line, soviets copy existing russian line) and then make new SoundSpeechx.sga files containing the right files.

Whatever procedure steam requires for adding a new language option into the game settings would probably be more work than how much effort is needed with the game files.

kothre is gonna need to get approval from relic first in order to have all this work reason why is because they have the admin rights in steam for that particular game so that means relic can modify their game files however they like if u know wat im trying to say
6 Sep 2015, 22:47 PM

*English* Brits
*English* USF
*Russian* Soviets
*German* Ostheer
*German* OKW

^ This is all unpacked speeches for all factions. Its not SGA, but unpacked archives, so you can make .SGA using them ... somehow.

But there is something you have to know. For excample english files uses names like "blablabla.english" while russian files uses "blablablalbla.russian", so you probably wanna change ".russian" to ".english", well it least this was the way how you manage native language work, before relic forbid to edit sound files.

Soviet and Ostheer sounds were placed in "SoundSpeech*language*", OKW and USF in "SoundSpeechXP1*language*".
Brits are kinde strange some of the files placed in "SoundSpeechXP1*language*" and some in "SoundSpeechXP2*language*".

P.s. making SGA with old santos "SGA packer" are not gonna work.
6 Sep 2015, 23:22 PM

For the love of god please relic do this. Realism staff that was implemented in close combat games is restarted not to be present in coh franchise
7 Sep 2015, 00:14 AM

*English* Brits
*English* USF
*Russian* Soviets
*German* Ostheer
*German* OKW

^ This is all unpacked speeches for all factions. Its not SGA, but unpacked archives, so you can made .SGA from them ... somehow.

But there is something you have to know. For excample english files uses names like "blablabla.english" while russian files uses "blablablalbla.russian", so you probably wanna change ".russian" to ".english", well it least this was the way how you manage native language work, before relic forbid to edit sound files.

Soviet and Ostheer sounds were placed in "SoundSpeech*language*", OKW and USF in "SoundSpeechXP1*language*".
Brits are kinde strange some of the files placed in "SoundSpeechXP1*language*" and some in "SoundSpeechXP2*language*".

P.s. making SGA with old santos "SGA packer" are not gonna work.

forward those files to SwonVIP or his contacts communicate with them regularly so that way this native language option can work
7 Sep 2015, 11:43 AM

I have no idea how long creating the option would take, but I just sit on my ass all day because I currently have no job, so I may or may not that many people helping me if Relic permits this. Depends on how long it would take, because I really have no idea what this process would entail (it must be a pain in the ass or Relic would have done it already).

At any rate, isn't nigo a community representative? Maybe he could ask Relic about this.
7 Sep 2015, 13:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Sep 2015, 11:43 AMKothre
I have no idea how long creating the option would take, but I just sit on my ass all day because I currently have no job, so I may or may not that many people helping me if Relic permits this. Depends on how long it would take, because I really have no idea what this process would entail (it must be a pain in the ass or Relic would have done it already).

At any rate, isn't nigo a community representative? Maybe he could ask Relic about this.

The point is that relic should just create one separate SGA sound archive, which will contain only units sounds, not announcers, no campaign, no tutorials .ect just units sounds.

This SGA archive would be optional to load\unload. Game size in that case would be +1GB.

Its not Pain in the ass, Relic simply don't care about this option. Sure it require some effort, but its not like something super-puper hard.
7 Sep 2015, 20:07 PM

The point is that relic should just create one separate SGA sound archive, which will contain only units sounds, not announcers, no campaign, no tutorials .ect just units sounds.

This SGA archive would be optional to load\unload. Game size in that case would be +1GB.

Its not Pain in the ass, Relic simply don't care about this option. Sure it require some effort, but its not like something super-puper hard.

well at the moment we are dead in the water until we get a response from relic i have been using twitter, facebook and the other forum in order to try and get relic's attention but so far they have not been very forthcoming about it so i will keep trying
7 Sep 2015, 20:56 PM

i just spoke with von kluge and it seems he is going to talk to relic about this proposal kothre has in mind so hooray!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★