Ostheer Sniper overperforming

Is the Ostheer Sniper overperforming?
Option Distribution Votes
60%
40%
Total votes: 158
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
4 Sep 2015, 16:04 PM

Somethings needs to be changed about the Ostheer sniper tbh.

Its widely known and obvious that the Ost Sniper shuts Brit early game down. But its also very, very effective vs USF and effective to an extent vs Soviets as well.

Efficiency isnt a bad thing, but this Sniper is out of control imo.

It has the fastest recloak time, fastest firerate, is very survivable and has arguably the best Sniper Vet 1 ability.

Compare this to the other Snipers :

The Soviet one has 2 men/women, but aims slowly, and recloaks slower than the Ost Sniper. It also tends to be not as survivable as the Ost sniper, because the 2 models have 40hp each and eat bullets easier. The flare is nice to have, but nothing compared to the incend rounds the Ost sniper has.

The Brit Sniper can crit vehicles ; thats unique and quite useful. His aim time is ok but the recloak time is absolutely atrocious, i suspect for no reason. It recloaks 6s after the first shot, the Ost sniper recloaks after 2s, three times faster. Its extremely easy to countersnipe the british countersniper, solely judging by my own experience in 1v1 and 2v2 games.

Now lets look at a bigger picture.

Ost has access to arguably the best core infantry in the game ( Grens still need to be fixed, because they got double buffed by a relic ninja change), the best MG, undeniably the best core mortar (even after the preview patch) and the best sniper in T1 for 80mp and 10 fuel.

Does Ostheer really need a Sniper in such a turbo mode? I think that it doesnt. It should be a counter able support unit after all, not the overperforming beast it is right now. Combined with already very strong Grens and strong MG's it becomes extremely hard and tiresome to kill the Sniper, provided the Ost player doesnt do a stupid mistake, which you cant always count on.

What are possible solutions?

RoF nerf
Survivability nerf
Recloak nerf
Range nerf (unlikely)
Move him to T2 (i love this idea)

Brits and Soviets need to tech for a solid amount of fuel to gain access to a worse sniper after all.

Either way, something needs to happen, or we'll stick to the boring Sniper vs Brits meta for a long time. And that would be a shame.

tl;dr : Ost Sniper is overperforming in comparison to the other Snipers and is too efficient against Brits and USF (to some extent)
4 Sep 2015, 16:15 PM
Donator 11

RoF nerf
Move him to T2 (i love this idea)

will be included next patch. Also like the idea of moving him to T2... But then I wouldnt "nerf" his RoF.

Sniper

Slightly reducing the rate of fire of German sniper as its veterancy bonuses that it attained were slightly over performing.
Veterancy 2 rate of fire modifers reduced from 0.8 to 0.85
Veterancy 3 rate of fire modifers reduced from 0.7 to 0.85
4 Sep 2015, 16:49 PM

Permanently Banned
t2 sniper? ehhhh.... no

Nerf the fucker
4 Sep 2015, 16:50 PM

will be included next patch. Also like the idea of moving him to T2... But then I wouldnt "nerf" his RoF.

the problem is that a vet 0 sniper is already overperforming, nerfs to vet dont change anything
4 Sep 2015, 17:51 PM

nobody else concerned about this?
4 Sep 2015, 18:08 PM

No, we aren't. The sniper only overperforms against Brits. He's hard countered by the Soviet sniper, and Americans also have easily accessible counters.

Thus, the solution is not to nerf the sniper, but instead to reduce IS reinforce cost so the sniper doesn't bleed them dry.
4 Sep 2015, 18:20 PM

I'm holding out hope that target tables will result in Sniper ROF or Accuracy nerf (something) vs. Tommies will balance it out somewhere which I think is the ideal situation. Its kind of nice to keep him in Tier 1 just for opening build variety as Ostheer. I think more opening builds options = better game over all.

That being said I don't think moving him to Tier 2 would be the end of the world... Ostheer can tech pretty fast to Tier 2 when it wants to if they *really* want a Sniper fast.

I don't think that the Veterancy nerf will make all that much difference for the Brits... it just means that he's slightly less ridiculous as the game goes on (after the damage has already been done).
4 Sep 2015, 18:23 PM

Hopefully target tables fix this.
4 Sep 2015, 18:32 PM

nobody else concerned about this?

Given your arguments in opening post, the poll results looks like "do you play allies" question was asked.

Only people not seeing ost sniper overperforming(he is 'fine' only and exclusively against soviets) are the ones with hard-on for axis.

We'll see what relic will do, but to expect ost sniper staying as he is and not get nerfed to brit sniper levels is naive.
4 Sep 2015, 18:57 PM

Permanently Banned
Of course, against brits.
4 Sep 2015, 19:02 PM
Donator 11

Given your arguments in opening post, the poll results looks like "do you play allies" question was asked.

Only people not seeing ost sniper overperforming(he is 'fine' only and exclusively against soviets) are the ones with hard-on for axis.

We'll see what relic will do, but to expect ost sniper staying as he is and not get nerfed to brit sniper levels is naive.

I disagree, I play all the factions and am yet to become annoyed with the Ostheer sniper. Flank it's retreat path while you head straight for it with infantry. Dead sniper.
4 Sep 2015, 19:02 PM

Only a RoF reduction and cloak time increase is needed imo. Those two changes would be enough. Reducing its HP down to 80 from 82 would be alright too.
4 Sep 2015, 21:09 PM

Thus, the solution is not to nerf the sniper, but instead to reduce IS reinforce cost so the sniper doesn't bleed them dry.

While they could only nerf him vs Brits, I don't see why Brits need to cost 280 per squad anyway. Why not 245 - 260?
4 Sep 2015, 21:29 PM

4 Sep 2015, 22:07 PM
Donator 11

Ost sniper can ruin a nice brit game, something gotta be done, some kind of nerf like a rof nerf
4 Sep 2015, 22:39 PM

-.-

I have played exclusively Axis in the past week and I still have more than twice as many career games played as Allies.

Stop assuming that when people don't want Axis things nerfed it's because they're fascist fanboys. Both US and Soviets can counter him easily. He overperforms against Brits solely because of how easy it is to manpower bleed them.

I repeat, the solution is not nerfing the sniper, it's reducing the purchase and reinforcing costs of Infantry sections so Brits aren't so easily pushed off the map.
4 Sep 2015, 22:41 PM

Hes so hard to kill now i've had rifles with vet and upgrades flank a sniper and they can't even get him to half hp on the retreat, I think the HP increase is good but accuracy could be adjusted

In this way hes easy to shoot dead but hard to blow up
4 Sep 2015, 23:03 PM

Make his rec acc worse so he's a bit more vulnerable to small arms and make his recloak time a little more. At least bren might be worth a damn vs him then.
4 Sep 2015, 23:11 PM
Patrion 14

Hes so hard to kill now i've had rifles with vet and upgrades flank a sniper and they can't even get him to half hp on the retreat, I think the HP increase is good but accuracy could be adjusted

In this way hes easy to shoot dead but hard to blow up

I tend to agree with this. I was a little surprised he got an HP buff to begin with. I don't think the sniper was ever "bad," but the HP buff made him from a fragile support unit to a very safe and practical choice for too many situations.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 38
unknown 25
Mexico 14
Germany 913

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %