Login

russian armor

Comet tank quirks

4 Sep 2015, 13:12 PM

So the Comets are a pretty sweet tank, but so far I've noticed a few "issues":

• I can't explain what or why, but attack grounding with the Comet seems to "miss" far more often than it does for other tanks. In fact I feel like I've seen shells basically land on the enemy but count as a miss. Unsure if I'm delusional or if this is real and I'd like others to comment

• The grenade ability seems to cancel about 40-60% of the time without going off and you have to baby sit it to make sure it gets used

• The smoke shell / wp shells ability seems to cancel randomly sometimes, although less frequently than the grenade toss

I suspect point 1, if it's actually real and not my fevered imagination, is because of the new high velocity shells and that the Firefly / 17 pounder are probably suffering the same issues.
4 Sep 2015, 13:23 PM

yes i noticed the third.
4 Sep 2015, 21:25 PM

I noticed the first one in a stream, very clearly because the explosion and dust kicked up right under where a StuG III was sitting.
4 Sep 2015, 21:29 PM

Permanently Banned
smoke shell works 1/4 times
4 Sep 2015, 21:32 PM
Patrion 28

To use grenades and smoke shells you have to completely stop the tank, if he is moving then the ability cancels. I was hoping they would fix this in alpha...
4 Sep 2015, 21:42 PM

I noticed the first one in a stream, very clearly because the explosion and dust kicked up right under where a StuG III was sitting.

This also happens when using target ground on firefly as well, the projectile seems to either land under or right behind the target tank, so the shells just dont seem to collide with things...
4 Sep 2015, 21:44 PM

Also noticing that the Comet misses its shots allot. Terrible accuracy.
4 Sep 2015, 22:45 PM

Glad I'm not just crazy. Hope they fix the ability stuff especially, but the first one practically cost me a game. On three our four occasions I had tigers or command tanks down to the last sliver of health, they popped smoke, I attack ground, multiple comets miss and they got away. In fact even regular shells seem to miss with such frequency that its one of the worst tanks to chase something down wit
7 Sep 2015, 09:54 AM

Is it the FoW scatter? If you were shooting into smoke I mean
7 Sep 2015, 10:45 AM

It's not something I've noticed happening much / at all with other tanks (although I suspect FF probably has it too). It's been happening repeatedly in my games last night and the night before. I know attack ground isn't 100% reliable all the time, but it's really bad with the comet, like way worse.
7 Sep 2015, 15:19 PM

I figured it had something to do with the projectile for the Comet's gun so I had a look in AE.

The Comet has NO PROJECTILE. What you're actually seeing is a tracer FX, same as for small arms fire. Tracers have no physical collision, so if the Comet's shot misses and scatters, the scattered tracer cannot collide with anything and trigger a hit, even if the tracer collides with the same tank because the scatter distance wasn't enough to completely avoid it.

I'm actually kind of surprised they did this, since all cannons of around 30mm caliber and up use projectiles. Only reason I can see for using a tracer is because it might have looked better. However right now it makes the Comet the most inaccurate tank when firing on other tanks.
7 Sep 2015, 16:41 PM
Donator 11

I figured it had something to do with the projectile for the Comet's gun so I had a look in AE.

The Comet has NO PROJECTILE. What you're actually seeing is a tracer FX, same as for small arms fire. Tracers have no physical collision, so if the Comet's shot misses and scatters, the scattered tracer cannot collide with anything and trigger a hit, even if the tracer collides with the same tank because the scatter distance wasn't enough to completely avoid it.

I'm actually kind of surprised they did this, since all cannons of around 30mm caliber and up use projectiles. Only reason I can see for using a tracer is because it might have looked better. However right now it makes the Comet the most inaccurate tank when firing on other tanks.

Does this explain why firefly shots "hit twice". I got to experiment with one, and when firing it might hit a yellow cover thing and do the full effect explosion, but then continue on and hit the tank, or explode at the feet of troops or whatever.
7 Sep 2015, 17:04 PM

I haven't seen that behaviour yet in the Firefly, but the Firely's 17 pounder is also using tracers and not projectiles. But the Firefly's gun also has the highest accuracy out of all the tank guns I've seen so far (0.05 at far, 0.08 at near), so it will only miss a medium or heavy tank if the target has some received accuracy buffs at far range. So we've only seen the 'weird miss' behaviour on the Comet since it's accuracy isn't so high.

Also discovered that at one point they were considering (or might still be considering, for future DLC) the Archer tank-destroyer and the Humber armored car, since weapons for both exist.

The 9.75 inch flame mortar ability refers to an experimental Valentine that was in development but never produced, and an EBP for it exists (though no model, it's got the Priest as a placeholder), so at one point they were thinking of that ability being a tank call-in rather than an off-map artillery attack.
7 Sep 2015, 20:36 PM

The 9.75 inch flame mortar ability refers to an experimental Valentine that was in development but never produced, and an EBP for it exists (though no model, it's got the Priest as a placeholder), so at one point they were thinking of that ability being a tank call-in rather than an off-map artillery attack.

Sounds like the Conqueror Orbital Laser Cannon from WoT...
8 Sep 2015, 12:17 PM

I noticed this while testing units in Worldbuilder earlier, I tried to make a Firefly shoot at a truck (map prop) and the shots would just vanish into thin air before even reaching the truck. I assumed it was a bug and that the Firefly's shell just was set to phase through ground / props. I didn't consider the fact that it didn't have a shell at all, that's strange.

Also discovered that at one point they were considering (or might still be considering, for future DLC) the Archer tank-destroyer and the Humber armored car, since weapons for both exist.

Would like to see the Humber as a stock unit, so going Bofors doesn't leave you without any non-doctrine vehicles until T3. Speaking of unused things, there is also a British Tank Crew, British Churchill Crew, and a Supply Universal Carrier.

Probably cut because it wasn't used. The moment they throw in a unit that wasn't actually used in the war, they open the flood gates to "GIVE IS-3, GIVE T-44, GIVE MAUS, GIVE T28 SUPER HEAVY ASSAULT TANK". Not a good thing to open up just because you wanted a Mortar Tank...
8 Sep 2015, 12:30 PM

"The new high velocity effects we're proud of".

No projectile to travel=high velocity shot effect=no scatter hits=need for higher accuracy then projectile using cannons.

This actually explains FF accuracy more then justification to its reload.
8 Sep 2015, 14:41 PM

"The new high velocity effects we're proud of".

And it admittedly it does look better as a tracer. Projectiles traveling above a certain speed only become visible for a single frame, if at all.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 11
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment